The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Can you guess: Microphone or Directsound (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534528)

Dirk_Z 01-13-2019 12:20 PM

Can you guess: Microphone or Directsound

Hi there,
I´m new to this forum.

Thanks for the great informations and tips from everyone !!!
My name is Dirk and I´m from germany, so excuse my english.

Based on recommendations from this Forum and a little bit of research I finally completed my acousticguitar rig. Well for now.
So I just made a fast and dry recording. One file is the direct sound of the pickups (K&K pure mini and Fishman rare earth blend) and the other file is a small condenser microphone (Audiotechnica MB4000C).

Only EQ has been used.

Can you guess the recording method ?

Here is the link:
www.polyphon-recording.de\testmicdirect.zip

Greetings Dirk

guitaniac 01-13-2019 12:48 PM

The second file sounds more clear and detailed to me, so I'm guessing its the mic.

Congrats to you, whichever one is the K&K/mag rig, it sounds pretty darn good and will serve you well at gigs - without the proximity problems of close miking or the feedback invitation of more distant miking.

Petty1818 01-13-2019 12:52 PM

I was surprised at how close they were, I thought for sure I would pick out the mag/K&K set up. With that said, I am listening on crappy laptop speakers. I would guess the mic as test b as well.

kramster 01-13-2019 01:24 PM

How were they recorded ? Into a mixer and what software? Thanks, just wondering and sound darn good

JonnyBGood 01-13-2019 01:32 PM

I'd say B is the mic to, crisper attack and more dynamics, but I agree they both sound good. I have the exact same pickup combo :-)

SpruceTop 01-13-2019 01:33 PM

Both recordings sound really good! I'm going to say that the mic alone recording is the first one, A.

Doug Young 01-13-2019 01:35 PM

Yeah, A sounds like the mic to me. But B sounds pretty good, too. I assume this involved a fair bit of EQ, perhaps matching the pickup to the mic?

guitaniac 01-13-2019 02:08 PM

After reading SpruceTop's and Doug's posts, I'm second guessing myself. B has more of an in-your-face and intimate feel. Maybe that is why I like it better. Whether or not its a mic, I'd be happy to record with that sound.

Dirk_Z 01-13-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramster (Post 5947396)
How were they recorded ? Into a mixer and what software? Thanks, just wondering and sound darn good

Signal path pickups:

Each pickup goes through an Artec Graphic EQ pedal (3) - Bose T1 Tonematch - Yamaha MD4 Mixer - Motu 1224 - Adobe Audition

Well the Software doesn´t matter :-)

Signal path Microphone

About 5 to 6 inches in front of the 14 fret pointing towards the soundhole.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petty1818 (Post 5947364)
I was surprised at how close they were, I thought for sure I would pick out the mag/K&K set up. With that said, I am listening on crappy laptop speakers. I would guess the mic as test b as well.

I was surprised too :-)
Yesterday I made the first comparison. Today I thought I have to share this cause I was pretty happy with the sound ! I did a lot of tweaking with the EQ till the sound I heard from the Amp was matching the natural tone of the guitar as close as possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Young (Post 5947410)
Yeah, A sounds like the mic to me. But B sounds pretty good, too. I assume this involved a fair bit of EQ, perhaps matching the pickup to the mic?

Yes EQ was my friend and a lot of it :-)
The K&K needed the most eq especially in the bass area. The other Pickups mainly around 280 to 800Hz.

The pickup recording got a little cut in the 10kHz to 20kHz region to match the microphone afterwards. I maybe could have done it with the Bose.

JonnyBGood 01-14-2019 05:50 AM

So which recording was which, you didn't say :-)

Chickee 01-14-2019 01:18 PM

I think A is direct, and sounds great to me,
and B is mic'ed.
There seems to be more air in the B recording as far as I can tell on these crummy computer speakers.
What did I win? Bahahaha:)

Howard Emerson 01-14-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirk_Z (Post 5947333)
Hi there,
I´m new to this forum.

Thanks for the great informations and tips from everyone !!!
My name is Dirk and I´m from germany, so excuse my english.

Based on recommendations from this Forum and a little bit of research I finally completed my acousticguitar rig. Well for now.
So I just made a fast and dry recording. One file is the direct sound of the pickups (K&K pure mini and Fishman rare earth blend) and the other file is a small condenser microphone (Audiotechnica MB4000C).

Only EQ has been used.

Can you guess the recording method ?

Here is the link:
www.polyphon-recording.de\testmicdirect.zip

Greetings Dirk

Hi Dirk,
The second one is the mic, but more importantly is that the little piece you're playing is very, very cool! Very nice articulation on your hammers & pull-off balanced with the frailing!

It sounds fine direct, and sounds okay on mic.

I hope it's going to grow into a whole composition!

Best regards,
Howard Emerson

Dirk_Z 01-15-2019 12:05 PM

SPOILER ALERT

File A: Pickups direct
File B: Microphone

Dirk_Z 01-15-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickee (Post 5948355)
I think A is direct, and sounds great to me,
and B is mic'ed.
There seems to be more air in the B recording as far as I can tell on these crummy computer speakers.
What did I win? Bahahaha:)

You won my homemade Burgerbun recipe:
Sorry everything in gramms

Dry ingredients: mix together
1000 gr Flour 405 (cakeflour I guess)
22 gr Sugar
22 gr Salt
14gr dry yeast

Wet ingredients: mix together
1000 gr Water (lukewarm)
30 gr Honey
75 gr Butter (melted)
2 eggs
15 gr beet syrup dont know the english word

Mix the dry and wet ingridients and let them rest till rissen. (about 1 hour)
Form balls (80-100) gramms. Add flower if dough is to sticky. Put them on a backing tray and use some oiled plastic wrap to cover them. Let them rise again for about 1-2 hours. press them down to flatten the dough (with the oiled wrap) then remove the wrap and brush them with a mix of (egg yolk and milk), add some sesame seeds. Bake for 15-20 min in a 329 F oven (till golden brown). after baking put them on a cooling rack and cover them with a towel. Enjoy !!!

Chickee 01-15-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirk_Z (Post 5949264)
You won my homemade Burgerbun recipe:
Sorry everything in gramms

Dry ingredients: mix together
1000 gr Flour 405 (cakeflour I guess)
22 gr Sugar
22 gr Salt
14gr dry yeast

Wet ingredients: mix together
1000 gr Water (lukewarm)
30 gr Honey
75 gr Butter (melted)
2 eggs
15 gr beet syrup dont know the english word

Mix the dry and wet ingridients and let them rest till rissen. (about 1 hour)
Form balls (80-100) gramms. Add flower if dough is to sticky. Put them on a backing tray and use some oiled plastic wrap to cover them. Let them rise again for about 1-2 hours. press them down to flatten the dough (with the oiled wrap) then remove the wrap and brush them with a mix of (egg yolk and milk), add some sesame seeds. Bake for 15-20 min in a 329 F oven (till golden brown). after baking put them on a cooling rack and cover them with a towel. Enjoy !!!

329 F??? That's hilarious!
I'm retired from the restaurant industry after 40 plus years and that temp is a first.:)
You're OK with me, Dirk. I'll let you know how these Burgerbuns work out.