The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Sit or stand? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5133)

rsimper 04-10-2002 12:24 AM

Sit or stand?

Which way do you prefer...which way do you play better...which way do you perform?

I answer standing for all three...It allows me to get into more of a groove, I play MUCH better that way, and the few times I have performed, its been standing.

Sometimes I will be playing sitting, and having one of those "man i suck" sessions, then I will stand up and just start JAMMIN!

(just had one of those now, which is what inspired this thread at 2:30 in the morning heheh)

swiss cheese 04-10-2002 01:03 AM

Sit. Sit. Sit.

I am too lazy to circle around my music room while playing. For easy three chords strumming I play standing sometimes but for more complicated pieces I can't concentrate on my playing when I stand.

Maybe it's due to an overwork for my unique neurone. :)

Stuart 04-10-2002 10:01 AM

I can play electric standing up. I can play accoustic standing, only if I'm doing basic stuff. For anything more intricate, I have to sit. If I were to perform, it would probably sit.

Marge 04-10-2002 01:25 PM

I sit! I generally play guitar in the living room or my bedroom. I do not play out of the house very much. The dogs would look at me funny if I were to play standing up.:rolleyes: When I do play out, it's usually at school when I teach music. Even then, I sit. I feel like I'm towering over the little kids if I stand. I'm just more comfortable sitting and playing rather than standing. I used to stand, but I was younger then. Now I'm older, and I sit.

MAKE it a GREAT day!!!!:D
Marge

JW 04-10-2002 07:41 PM

After playing les Pauls on stage for years I will jump at the chance to sit. My back hurts so bad that I have to sit as much as possible. I use to love to stand and play, now my belly is so far out there I have to reach to far.:roll: JW

510picker 04-11-2002 08:37 AM

Well....since I am in a wheelchair I will let you figure it out :ha:

Lights On 04-11-2002 06:44 PM

I think people look cool and relaxed when they sit, but it's not for me.

After having taken voice lessons for 3 years with 3 different teachers, I'm convinced air supply is hurt by sitting down. Kind of like if you were to fold the guitar...Chest cavity like body of guitar.

Nother good thing is that if you stand, you can always have your guitar at exactly the same place every time. The same cannot be said of different stools.

3rdly, I'm 5'4" on a good day & I kind of disappear when I sit.

So... all this pertains to performance. Course I sit when I practice.

Mari

W5BLT 04-12-2002 12:22 PM

I sit, mostly out of comfort. Not too long ago, I purchased one of the Taylor straps. I put it on and tried to stand up and play/practice. I don't know. Maybe it the stiff leather in the strap or whatever, but, the thing feels like it weighs a ton and sorta cuts into my shoulder.

One of the problems I think it might be is that the end of the strap "ties" around the neck near the nut. I thought the solution might be to have an upper strap button put on the body, but, I haven't done it yet.

So, for now, I'll just stay sitting on a chair.

ihs 04-12-2002 01:55 PM

I sit when I'm practicing/noodling at home, but if I'm practicing with my wife (she plays piano and sings) or performing, I stand. The comfort level of sitting can't be beat, but I feel strange sitting and playing in front of everyone when I'm performing. Maybe I just need a taller chair. :)

rsimper 04-12-2002 05:43 PM

Bob- which strap did you get? Black leather one? those things are pretty chunky...If you dont like it and have no use for it...I will take it off your hands...if its for sale that is...

The black leather one is MUCH chunkier than the honey-suede.

For some reason, when I sit I feel like the neck of the guitar "flys"

By this I mean that because it the guitar is supported by my leg, there is really no downward pressure in any way of the neck on my hand, and it can drift. When I stand, there is the slightest bit of downward pressure, or "weight" to the neck that stabilizes it for me. Maybe its just me, or my bad sitting posture. Who knows!

W5BLT 04-13-2002 12:19 PM

It's the tan leather one. And I'll keep it for a while. I'll get used to it. Then again, I like being abused.

jmeinel 04-13-2002 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JW
I use to love to stand and play, now my belly is so far out there I have to reach to far.:roll: JW
Look....if BB King can play standing up, so can you. :lol:

I personally sit down when I play if I'm on the computer at the same time, but when I can pry myself away then I'll throw on a strap and play standing up (darn TGF!). :roll: Since I've never performed in front of anyone, I don't know what I would do in that situation.

Jennifer :D

mapletrees 04-13-2002 07:27 PM

attn: rounders........

tone gets killed if your gut is against the back of the guitar.....

rsimper 04-13-2002 08:15 PM

Maybe Rick Crider will come up with a John Pearse style gutrest available in Rosewood or Ebony...

Mikegilles 04-14-2002 04:05 AM

I play with a strap whether I'm standing or sitting. The strap is snug enough so that the guitar is postitioned the same sitting or standing. I can play the same in both positions because nothing changes. Doc Watson keeps his strap so tight that when sitting, the instrument is held up off his lap. Sitting or standing, he'll play the with the same brilliance. I learned this from Steve Kaufman, who is about as good as it gets in flatpicking.
Regards,
Mike Gilles