The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Burton LeGeyt Renaissance Parlour (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445364)

Kerbie 10-25-2017 01:35 PM

MP, that's just the coolest little guitar I've ever seen! :)

Glenn23 10-25-2017 01:42 PM

I remember Burton sharing with me his desire to build an instrument like this almost two years ago and to finally see it come to fruition is astounding. I can't wait to see it in person this weekend. I agree completely with an earlier poster; Instrument of the Year!

rockabilly69 10-25-2017 02:13 PM

Okay, I LOVE THIS GUITAR, and have been following this thread waiting for the big reveal!!!! And the guitar is AWESOME. But, a small gripe, why weren't the strings cut maybe an inch past the tuner holes pulled back till maybe a 1/3" and then tightened to make clean wraps and to lock the strings on the tuner pegs which would really show off that headstock. I've been playing slotted headstock National resos for years and that's the way Don Young at National taught me to do it so I wouldn't have nipper marks from small cutting pliers in my headstock from trying to clip the strings after leaving so much excess.

Sam VanLaningham 10-25-2017 02:14 PM

That IS guitar of the year in my book. Beautiful, unique, aesthetic perfection. Of course it's gotta sound good too but tone is so subjective......

Way to go.

What is top and back radius if you don't mind me asking?

Sam

Ps looking forward to hearing tonal descriptors or audio etc.

Burton LeGeyt 10-25-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockabilly69 (Post 5516663)
Okay, I LOVE THIS GUITAR, and have been following this thread waiting for the big reveal!!!! And the guitar is AWESOME. But, a small gripe, why weren't the strings cut maybe an inch past the tuner holes pulled back till maybe a 1/3" and then tightened to make clean wraps and to lock the strings on the tuner pegs which would really show off that headstock. I've been playing slotted headstock National resos for years and that's the way Don Young at National taught me to do it so I wouldn't have nipper marks from small cutting pliers in my headstock from trying to clip the strings after leaving so much excess.

This is literally the first stringing! And will be unstrung and again a few times setting nut/saddle/relief etc.... in the next 24 hours. It will be presented better for the show I promise :)

Jimmy Caldwell 10-25-2017 02:25 PM

There are a couple of reasons I'd love to attend Woodstock and guitars like this are one of them. Great job Burton.

Burton LeGeyt 10-25-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam VanLaningham (Post 5516664)
That IS guitar of the year in my book. Beautiful, unique, aesthetic perfection. Of course it's gotta sound good too but tone is so subjective......

Way to go.

What is top and back radius if you don't mind me asking?

Sam

Ps looking forward to hearing tonal descriptors or audio etc.

The top and back aren't radiused in the way most people do it- The rims taper at the upper bout on both the top and back but are otherwise flat across the body. The plates are domed in a compound manner and then forced to shape. The x brace is 21 and the most curved back brace is (I believe) 17. All my guitars are done like that, not just this one.

And thanks for your words!

rockabilly69 10-25-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt (Post 5516668)
This is literally the first stringing! And will be unstrung and again a few times setting nut/saddle/relief etc.... in the next 24 hours. It will be presented better for the show I promise :)

Well I wish I was the one stringing it as I would LOVE to hear that guitar in person. Fantastic job!

matthewpartrick 10-25-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockabilly69 (Post 5516663)
Okay, I LOVE THIS GUITAR, and have been following this thread waiting for the big reveal!!!! And the guitar is AWESOME. But, a small gripe, why weren't the strings cut maybe an inch past the tuner holes pulled back till maybe a 1/3" and then tightened to make clean wraps and to lock the strings on the tuner pegs which would really show off that headstock. I've been playing slotted headstock National resos for years and that's the way Don Young at National taught me to do it so I wouldn't have nipper marks from small cutting pliers in my headstock from trying to clip the strings after leaving so much excess.

I'm sure he was in a hurry. we'll get some pro photos shortly.

side note: I've been envisioning this instrument for many years, and Burton guided me in the right direction to take the inspiration of a very old Martin and add a few very small modern twists. The only reason this one won't be following me into the pine box in the sky is I hope that one of my kids will take to guitar!

iim7V7IM7 10-25-2017 06:25 PM

Burton, congrats on completing such a courageous project...:up: Matthew, I promise to not wear a belt buckle when I audition it...:)

Diamondave 10-25-2017 06:30 PM

Congrats, one of the most interesting and exciting instruments I've seen...!

justonwo 10-25-2017 07:46 PM

Now that is something you donít see. Pretty much ever.

Uncle Dude 10-25-2017 09:56 PM

Well done! It looks amazing.

gerberguitars 10-25-2017 10:26 PM

From the way it sounds, there may be a line out the door to get ones hands on this guitar. How about a little preshow action Thursday night? Really looking forward to this week, and this guitar is certainly one of them.

Ken Franklin 10-26-2017 01:59 AM

Way to git 'er done, Burton. You must have been sweating it. I know how these last minute builds for a show can be. Too bad a lot of the show folks won't be able to experience this fine craftsmanship after the guitar has been played in some. But those who know your work will be able hear where it's headed. Tone-rite? I suspect the lightness of the build will make it pretty stellar from the start, though.

How did those tuners turn out? Are they as smooth operating as expected? I'm a little curious about the length of the posts. Was that a design decision?

Anyway, what fun watching this come together. Hope to get to see it in person some day. Have a great show. I've got the feeling that you'll be worn out by the end.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=