The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Hatcher Studio '16 #2 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424977)

Mark Hatcher 04-26-2016 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ross748 (Post 4914617)
Quite a nice piece to emulate. 👍

Thanks, That wasn't just a nice looking guitar. It had a wonderful sound to it too! I'd be very happy to do that again with this guitar.

Mark Hatcher 05-04-2016 09:28 AM

Show Spec #5
 
I started working on the fifth show spec. This is a Pina parlor to replace the first show spec that I couldn't seem to hold onto. I've shown the wood selection previously in this thread. Here is the Padauk back being joined and set up;

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7168/...82c74eba_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7302/...a0c1f64f_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7361/...78cae0b7_c.jpg

I'm looking forward to working the color pallet I've selected for this guitar.
Lot's more to come!

Thanks,
Mark

lizzard 05-04-2016 07:40 PM

Mark,

I'm pretty sure you are the Bob Guccione of the guitar-porn world!

Waiting with baited ears!

Chris

Mark Hatcher 05-05-2016 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzard (Post 4925061)
Mark,

I'm pretty sure you are the Bob Guccione of the guitar-porn world!

Waiting with baited ears!

Chris

That's really funny :)
I'm glad I'm not the Larry Flint of guitar porn!

Thanks
Mark

lizzard 05-05-2016 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 4925294)
That's really funny :)
I'm glad I'm not the Larry Flint of guitar porn!

Thanks
Mark

I think Martin or Taylor may be the Larry Flint, I just don't care for the guitars - as of now!

lizzard 05-05-2016 09:31 AM

Who is the Hugh?

I'm thinking sKt has a shot!

Poor play on words. :cool:

Chris

Mark Hatcher 05-05-2016 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzard (Post 4925606)
Who is the Hugh?

I'm thinking sKt has a shot!

Poor play on words. :cool:

Chris

I'm sure Steve would appreciate that! :)

Mark Hatcher 05-05-2016 12:24 PM

Show Spec #2
 
I am pretty much finished doing the French polish on the Greta BRW spec guitar. The last sessions are done and I need to let it sit and harden before I can hand buff it;

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1588/...0171761a_c.jpg

While that hardens up I've done some of the other little jobs to finish up. I installed the strap buttons and started working on the wooly mammoth tusk bark that will be the nut, saddle, truss rod cover, and bridge pins.

These pieces of bark below will be the nut and saddle. I've already cut out the nut from the smaller pieces on the bottom. The big piece, up top is where I'll cut the saddle;

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7059/...1cd80c25_c.jpg

These bark pieces are partially fossilized so they are harder than regular Mammoth ivory which I think will be perfect for a cedar topped BRW guitar.
Here is a picture of the headstock coming together. It has live edged Oak burl as a faceplate and the nut and truss rod cover are roughed out. I'll finish shaping and polishing them after I cut the string slots;

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7746/...58c17434_c.jpg

I worked to keep one side of each piece in it's more natural texture.

Thanks for checking it out!
Mark

TomB'sox 05-05-2016 04:31 PM

Boy those are really cool and what a perfect color match!!! The texture adds another dimension completely!!!

lizzard 05-06-2016 05:56 AM

Just stunning. I have no other Cedar tops. I had a Taylor 714 once. Sold it to a band mate. He played one gig and 'dinged' the soundboard pretty robustly. He then said he didn't like Cedar and wanted to sell it back. I offered less 150 for the dings. He kept it, still has it and when I hear it the Cedar has really opened up. Nice. I can only imagine what THIS baby will sound like on day one, let alone when the kids pry from my cold-dead hands.

Mark Hatcher 05-06-2016 02:15 PM

Josie Maple Small Jumbo
 
I got my 3rd show spec back from the finisher late yesterday. I pieced it together an put a dummy bridge on it to show what it will look like;

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7452/...b548057f_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7096/...aae0ceb2_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7761/...321a27cd_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7757/...c36df193_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7275/...383f273b_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7130/...e4e28c9a_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7695/...75f6a93e_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7597/...32e24729_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7549/...212a7e4f_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7023/...142b6b75_c.jpg

And that's what it will look like :)

Thanks for looking!
Mark

Nemoman 05-06-2016 02:29 PM

Yowzah!
 
Wow, Mark--that's incredible!

Totally stunning--any chance we'll hear her sing? :D

Mark Hatcher 05-06-2016 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemoman (Post 4927221)
Wow, Mark--that's incredible!

Totally stunning--any chance we'll hear her sing? :D

Thanks!

Yeah, I'll try to set that up.

Mark

Mr. Paul 05-06-2016 03:01 PM

Dreamy :)

dcn 05-06-2016 04:14 PM

Man, that is an intensely beautiful instrument.

lizzard 05-06-2016 04:52 PM

Stunning!!!!

nootis 05-06-2016 04:58 PM

Absolutely gorgeous Mark.

Someday I'd love to get a nylon crossover, and you'd be on the top of my list... hopefully someday sooner than later!

Mark Hatcher 05-07-2016 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Paul (Post 4927248)
Dreamy :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcn (Post 4927322)
Man, that is an intensely beautiful instrument.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzard (Post 4927356)
Stunning!!!!

Thank you. I'm fortunate to have found this Maple billet. It's hard to believe it is actually flat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nootis (Post 4927359)
Absolutely gorgeous Mark.

Someday I'd love to get a nylon crossover, and you'd be on the top of my list... hopefully someday sooner than later!

Thanks nootis,

I'd be happy to make you a cross over. My Penelope model is my most popular.
I'm currently making my forth show spec as a steel string Penelope. The reason I'm mentioning it is I'll be doing an elevated fretboard on it. There are claims of a better sound which I know tends to be subjective but, I'm doing it for the increased comfort of play. Not only does it give more access room above the 12 th fret, it also gives more leeway in the angle of the fretboard both lengthwise and width wise. This would be good with a crossover as well.

Thanks again,
Mark

ukejon 05-07-2016 05:54 AM

That maple guitar is beyond description....wow!

Look forward to watching the elevated fretboard project.

Mark Hatcher 05-07-2016 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukejon (Post 4927751)
That maple guitar is beyond description....wow!

Look forward to watching the elevated fretboard project.

Thanks ukejon!

The elevated fretboard project is under way. I'll accumulate some pictures/steps and post them all together.

The problem with running a shop thread like this one is when you're working at different stages on four separate guitars it gets herky jerky to follow. I think it may be better to cover a larger span of work on each guitar before posting. Does that make sense?

Mark

TomB'sox 05-07-2016 02:28 PM

Having seen that maple on your shelf where it did not know it was a guitar yet, it was beautiful and my imagination let me envision what it would look like finished, however, in this case my imagination was sorely mistaken and underestimated what was to come. Holy Cow, that is as amazing as any maple I have ever seen and really, if as rare as the Tree, one could argue it is right there with the tree in looks. Wow!

emmsone 05-08-2016 02:52 AM

Wow!!! that maple guitar looks ridiculous when finished. The finish really pops out all that cocobolo, i hadn't even spotted the extra cocobolo embellishments on the headstock before but they really set it off. And along with that, the maple looks killer too!

Mark Hatcher 05-08-2016 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 4928251)
Having seen that maple on your shelf where it did not know it was a guitar yet, it was beautiful and my imagination let me envision what it would look like finished, however, in this case my imagination was sorely mistaken and underestimated what was to come. Holy Cow, that is as amazing as any maple I have ever seen and really, if as rare as the Tree, one could argue it is right there with the tree in looks. Wow!

Thanks Tom,

The figure really did pop. It is difficult to capture in a photo just how deep those cup figures actually appear. When you move it in the light it appears you are looking into golden bowels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmsone (Post 4928605)
Wow!!! that maple guitar looks ridiculous when finished. The finish really pops out all that cocobolo, i hadn't even spotted the extra cocobolo embellishments on the headstock before but they really set it off. And along with that, the maple looks killer too!

The Cocobolo really does show up well. It's hard to get the photo exposure wide enough that the color of both the Cocobolo and the maple show at the same time.

Thanks,
Mark

lizzard 05-09-2016 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 4928754)
Thanks Tom,

When you move it in the light it appears you are looking into golden bowels.
Thanks,
Mark

Cool! I wish I had Golden Bowels, no more IBS, Constipation, or other trials and tribulations - SHWING! Which light do I need to move in?

Chris

(I know that was bad but, If you lay it up there, I gotta put it in the basket!):eek:

Mark Hatcher 05-09-2016 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzard (Post 4929609)
Cool! I wish I had Golden Bowels, no more IBS, Constipation, or other trials and tribulations - SHWING! Which light do I need to move in?

Chris

(I know that was bad but, If you lay it up there, I gotta put it in the basket!):eek:

Ouch! Did I really write that?:)

lizzard 05-09-2016 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 4929616)
Ouch! Did I really write that?:)

Yup, LOL!

We've all done it!

Mark Hatcher 05-13-2016 12:32 PM

Show spec #4 Penelope update
 
This is an update of the Black Ebony Penelope model. This is the fourth in my show spec series. Here is the body coming together;

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7437/...53c8e796_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7382/...f6e78c77_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7765/...47b03153_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7102/...e73835c2_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7572/...af684343_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7344/...4fb41485_c.jpg

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

ross748 05-14-2016 06:30 AM

Oh my, my!

That is all!

ukejon 05-14-2016 06:38 AM

Beauty....what is the overall weight going to be like compared to rosewood?

lizzard 05-14-2016 07:19 AM

Mark, On balance you find some of the most stunning woods out there. And then use them with classic style. Love your ebonies, the maple and at least 1 BRW. NICE!

Chris


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=