The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   October Surprise (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548657)

David Eastwood 06-04-2019 09:28 AM

October Surprise

Emerald #2 is on order.

All being well, in early October I'll get the ransom note for an X20-7, amber top and headstock, black back and sides.

That should either make the summer go really fast, or seem interminable :)

Mark L 06-04-2019 09:37 AM

Congratulations!

An X20-7 is very high on my want list. I hope they make you a stellar one.

kramster 06-04-2019 10:22 AM

Ill guess this Summer will be the longest of your life...hope this helps

David Eastwood 06-04-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramster (Post 6078420)

You’re such an encourager :)

mot 06-05-2019 03:24 PM

Those are pretty fun to play. I love the fan frets. Hope your October comes sooner than later (or at least before Halloween).

raysachs 06-05-2019 03:44 PM

I would not know what to do with that extra string, but I'm sure you will, so congratulations! In advance. Enjoy the wait. Then enjoy the guitar... One thing at a time.

-Ray

mot 06-05-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raysachs (Post 6079423)
I would not know what to do with that extra string, but I'm sure you will, so congratulations! In advance. Enjoy the wait. Then enjoy the guitar... One thing at a time.

-Ray

I have tried a few things. I first was tuning the strings ADADGBE which is great for the D chord and drop D playing in classical pieces. Now days I tend to stick with the BEADGBE tuning and play finger style jazz stuff where I make occasional 2, 3 and sometimes 4 note chords while attempting a melody. Either tuning works, but I find more and more I like the simplicity of only having one contrary string that I have to adjust around as I play up and down the strings in a certain fret area. I might eventually give up and go with a bass tuning of BEADGCF, but I am used to playing the guitar shapes on the higher strings and am not quite ready to give that up.

David Eastwood 06-05-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raysachs (Post 6079423)

Oh, I have some ideas. Lots of them, actually - this was a painstakingly thought-out investment for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mot (Post 6079435)
I have tried a few things. I first was tuning the strings ADADGBE which is great for the D chord and drop D playing in classical pieces. Now days I tend to stick with the BEADGBE tuning and play finger style jazz stuff where I make occasional 2, 3 and sometimes 4 note chords while attempting a melody. Either tuning works, but I find more and more I like the simplicity of only having one contrary string that I have to adjust around as I play up and down the strings in a certain fret area. I might eventually give up and go with a bass tuning of BEADGCF, but I am used to playing the guitar shapes on the higher strings and am not quite ready to give that up.

Exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking, Tom. One tuning I'm eager to explore is BEADF#BE - like a baritone, but with a high E. The low A on the bottom of ADADF#AD is also ripe with possibilities.

I'm really happy that Emerald is set up to produce this configuration at such a reasonable price (compared with a stock X20). Fan frets and an extra string on any other model would be a significantly bigger upcharge.

Plus, I was delighted to find out that you can combine any standard CF colours with zero upcharge - hence my choice of amber top and black back and sides. I'd seen one like this on a recent shipping video, and I thought it looked really cool.

Guest 928 06-06-2019 02:48 PM

Don't listen to kramster.

But he does have a point. My gosh, that's 18 Fridays from now! That is like forever...............Just don't think about it.

M19 06-06-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramster (Post 6078420)

Oh, and it'll be hot and muggy as heck too. :D

And mosquitoes the size of robins. :D:D

And road construction EVERYWHERE you want to go. :D:D:D

Enjoy the wait Dave! :eek:

kramster 06-06-2019 03:26 PM

Just look at the wait in dog years...oh wait..that might make it more worser. Ignore this here post...if you can

David Eastwood 06-06-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M19 (Post 6080177)
Oh, and it'll be hot and muggy as heck too. :D

And mosquitoes the size of robins. :D:D

And road construction EVERYWHERE you want to go. :D:D:D

Enjoy the wait Dave! :eek:

Apparently, we have a plague of buffalo gnats to get through before the official state bird takes over.

I love living in Minnesota. Most of the time.

Guest 928 06-06-2019 06:10 PM

Ignore that post! think positive. There are 27 Fridays left in this year and the odds are in your favor. Even if the production date is not met, if the shipping gets disrupted by tariff wars, and the guitar gets sent to the wrong address--27 Fridays reveal a big window of opportunity. Lucky guy.

kramster 06-06-2019 06:11 PM

October 2020 right?

Danz567 06-07-2019 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanB (Post 6080161)
Don't listen to kramster.

But he does have a point. My gosh, that's 18 Fridays from now! That is like forever...............Just don't think about it.

18 Fridays isn't so bad. You'll be counting the minutes in no time. Btw, it's only 181,440 minutes to go.