The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   LISTEN (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   any audiophiles here? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428392)

bigreddog 05-02-2016 08:00 AM

any audiophiles here?

I just currently started trying to build my "dream" audio system. I started with a pair of Pioneer HPM 100 speakers which many consider to be one of the best from the "golden age" of high fidelity '70 thru mid 80's.

I first started my search for a quality stereo receiver. After a lot of time spent on the audiophile type forums, I settled for a early 90's Pioneer VSX D1S A/V receiver--good decision. If you look up the specs on this receiver it's what some consider the last of a breed. Heavy, overbuilt and quiet power--lots of it.

I'd love to hear about others systems. What do you like about your current setup? What would you change? I'm needing to add a turntable, so would love to hear what others have.

RayCJ 05-02-2016 01:26 PM

JBL L112 speakers. Arguably some of the best speakers they put out before slowly going down the sink hole. I had a set, had them re-coned in 2001 and sold them for $1000 when I decided to totally revamp and get into a DAW.

If I were going retro, as for amps. I would go with a tube kit amplifier along these lines. Not necessarily this one but something similar. http://www.ebay.com/itm/6550-KT88-Cl...-/400760423649.

I'd look for something around 40W per channel and < 0.1% THD. I like the warm sound of tubes. I'd actually be inclined to purchase schematics and source the parts myself and beef-up the transformers and main storage caps.

EDIT: If you decide to go with a tube kit, go with a push-pull type instead of a single-ended type. There will be a couple more tubes but, you'll get lower THD and higher power. Here's one with decent specs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAQIN-MC-13S...YAAOSwGWNUYWNW

Ray

sled 05-02-2016 02:15 PM

I have a 65 watt per channel JVC receiver, dual cassette deck, cd player and equalizer with a technics turntable, pushing 2 Cerwin Vega AT-10s and 2 AT-8's.

Herb Hunter 05-02-2016 02:34 PM

My dictionary defines the term, audiophile, as: "a hi-fi enthusiast". Wikipedia defines it as: “a person enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction.”

In that sense, I am an audiophile as my goal is reproduction of recorded music that is as highly faithful to the original as reasonably possible.

Presently my system consists of a Carvin preamplifier and a pair of mono-block power amplifiers I built myself from SWTP kits which, at the time, produced some of the lowest distortion figures available at any price but I never confirmed that mine met the claimed specifications. My speakers are a pair of B&W 802.

fongie 05-02-2016 03:47 PM

I have a Sansui setup. I have a good collection of vinyls and old reel to reel's I've collected in the past 2 years.

Good to see it back and the interest that others have.

CoolerKing 05-02-2016 03:57 PM

My current setup is a Vinnie Rossi LIO Amp/DAC/Phonostage, Joseph Audio Pulsar speakers, iTunes/Audirvana running ALAC files, and a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable, which I think comes standard with an Ortofon 2M red cartridge. :)

RayCJ 05-02-2016 04:16 PM

In the 80's, I had a nice setup and it stayed active until 2000. I was too busy then and also wanted to down-size the speakers because they were taking-up too much room. Anyhow, it was two JBL L112 and two JBL L150 speakers, an SAE dual stereo output amp rated at 150W per pair, a Gerrard turntable (don't remember the model) and a Pioneer pre-amp with a built-in AM/FM tuner. Various cassette and CD players came & went over the years.

My recorded music is mostly CD's. Once CD's became ubiquitous, I purchased (once again) all the music that was "essential" to me. The area I live has terrible radio reception so I don't have a receiver anymore. For background sound, I play Pandora or my own CDs.

Right now, I'm a really big fan of Studio Monitor speakers and have two sets of Yamaha HS8. One is upstairs in my wife's "woman-cave" and the others are downstairs in the make-shift family room "recording studio".

Speakers are a very personal thing but, I really like these Yamaha HS8's. Music gets piped from the computer over USB to a Focusrite 18i20 mic panel and the XLR outputs from that send signal to the powered studio monitors or headphones. Very simple, clean and decent sounding setup...

Ray

RayCJ 05-02-2016 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewpartrick (Post 4922714)
My current setup is a Vinnie Rossi LIO Amp/DAC/Phonostage, Joseph Audio Pulsar speakers, iTunes/Audirvana running ALAC files, and a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable, which I think comes standard with an Ortofon 2M red cartridge. :)

So Far, Matthewpatrick is the the king of audiophiles :D

Kerbie 05-02-2016 06:33 PM

Guess I'm a little bit of an audiophile. Nothing beats good-quality sound. Most of my stereo system is now Linn... love it!

KarenB 05-02-2016 08:46 PM

Years ago I heard recorded music through a McIntosh tube amp. Wow! I don't remember what the speakers were, but the whole setup sounded so realistic.

Of course, there is nothing that can truly capture the sound of a great live symphonic orchestra in a theater with beautiful acoustics. What a pleasure! Ultimate audiophile delight!

Acousticado 05-02-2016 08:55 PM

Back around '76, after a fair bit of research including A/B-ing systems, I settled on a Yamaha CR1000 receiver (100w rms/ch, only had a FM tuner) and a pair of ADS L810 speakers. I still have this system but haven't had it set-up for quite some time. It may not compare to other high-end equipment, but as I recall, it was pretty good. I also had a high quality Yamaha turntable and cartridge (can't recall the brand), but I sold that a long time ago. I'm going to have to set up that system again.

lammie200 05-02-2016 09:12 PM

My current rig is a 35 watt tube power amp from Ideal Innovations in Canada. Good amp for not a lot of money. Also a Vacuum Tube Logic preamp and Celestion S6Si speakers and a cheap CD player and Bluetooth receiver to play from my Apple products. Sources could be better, but I am more into convenience than making my hair stand up and getting goosebumps.

buddyhu 05-02-2016 09:53 PM

I am am audiophile in recovery. I have the tinnitus to prove it. :(

I had Yamaha NS1000 monitors (3 way, with 12 inch woofers, beryllium dome tweeters) a Yamaha 100 watt receiver, several different spiffy turntables, a Nakamichi cassette deck. All purchased in the late 70's and early 80's. It was all thunderous and clean and had very bright highs. Got tired of the pursuit of perfect reproduction...I know what instruments sound like, and using my imagination to make things sound "right" took up less room and less money than trying to find the optimal equipment. I got rid of all of it long ago...

dhodgeh 05-03-2016 07:10 AM

Maybe...

Home system:

Rega P1 -> Bottlehead Eros pre-amp -> Bottlehead Stereomour amplifier -> Klipsch Heresey's, original version purchased in the 70's, still going strong.

Office System:

Raspberry Pi running Raspyfi -> Aune T1 DAC -> Bottlehead S.E.X amplifier -> Blumenstein Orca's w/Dungeness sub

D

rmyAddison 05-03-2016 07:33 AM

I'm a semi-audiophile. When I moved to Texas I got a combo hifi/home theater system with consideration of a large room with a 14' hip tray ceiling and openings to a foyer and breakfast area, I needed dispersion and went with bipolars.

I went with a Denon receiver, Rotel power amp and what was at the time the flagship DefTech speakers; center w/sub, main towers with separate subs, surrounds and rears, all with the same speakers but in different configurations. All told 16 6-1/2" drivers, 11 tweeters, 3 subs and 3000 watts, more HT than HiFi but music sounds great.

I know folks with serious systems, Krell and Martin Logan, Meridian and Wilson Audio, six figure systems...they do sound amazing.