The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Does the "F" Chord CHALLENGE EVERYONE? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307381)

Beetlescott 08-21-2013 06:20 PM

Does the "F" Chord CHALLENGE EVERYONE?

I guess this is probably the most elementary of all questions. I am pretty sure that everyone who comes to this site has probably passed this problem up long ago. I can play the "F" chord, but there are days.....I not only have a problem with the F, but I am having a time using my index finger to bar all the way across the fret board! I have buddies who seem to be able to do this as easily as I can play C. Please tell me i'm not alone here!!! Let me hear some stories of how you overcame the "F" chord??

mc1 08-21-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beetlescott (Post 3593186)
...Let me hear some stories of how you overcame the "F" chord??

can't be done.

K20C 08-21-2013 06:26 PM

I, and everyone I know, struggled with it at one point. But, everyone that sticks with it eventually masters it.

Jeremy 08-21-2013 06:31 PM

I had an easier time with it once I started pressing down with more of the side of the index finger.

philo426 08-21-2013 06:33 PM

At first sure!I find it helpful to rock the finger across the bar at an angle towards the fret to make sure all notes ring clearly.

handers 08-21-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

I guess this is probably the most elementary of all questions. I am pretty sure that everyone who comes to this site has probably passed this problem up long ago. I can play the "F" chord, but there are days.....I not only have a problem with the F, but I am having a time using my index finger to bar all the way across the fret board! I have buddies who seem to be able to do this as easily as I can play C. Please tell me i'm not alone here!!! Let me hear some stories of how you overcame the "F" chord??

You are not alone. It is difficult... but only in beginning. Learn to play it without pushing hard and that takes some weeks. practice closing the notes without pushing as hard as you can. no more pressure than the C chord. Why should there be?

Stay with it. You'll get it. Don't over-try. Practice for a few minutes then move to something else. Come back in 20 mins. Try again. Goal: hold all the notes closed clearly with minimal pressure. You'll do it but it will take some practice.

Good luck
hans

ecguitar44 08-21-2013 06:39 PM

Yes indeed...it's quite tricky at first.

After a little bit of practice you won't think twice about it!

saxonblue 08-21-2013 06:40 PM

At one stage it was a pain, the years helped me through it. As others have said rotate the index finger back toward the nut for better fretting. More often than not I just bar the 2 treble strings & do the E shape +1 fret using the remaining fingers with the added option of thumbing over if I need that low F on the bass string. That could be a challenge on your 12 string though :).

ukejon 08-21-2013 06:44 PM

Yes indeed, the thumb is useful for this chord.

johnny196775 08-21-2013 06:49 PM

I love this chord and play it very often. Usually half baring it and using the thumb for the low F note if needed.

mc1 08-21-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukejon (Post 3593220)
Yes indeed, the thumb is useful for this chord.

i'm sure you mean, to be behind the neck to apply an opposite force for the fingers. ;)

ukejon 08-21-2013 06:52 PM

Not quite but you are close, MC1. Bad-Form is my middle name!

jpd 08-21-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Try doing it without a mid-finger!

jackaroo 08-21-2013 06:53 PM

Nope...wraparound!

That's what the thumb is for!

MikeVB 08-21-2013 06:56 PM

Mindnumbing repetition, and then one day you'll literally lay your hand across the fretboard while absentmindedly strumming and realize the F chord is your minion.