The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Musical Instruments (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   How debilitatingly-heavy is a metal resonator? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542083)

agfsteve 03-24-2019 07:51 AM

How debilitatingly-heavy is a metal resonator?

I'm not even going to do my usual pre-post search on this one, because I'm probably just crazy, but:

If I stuff an eight-pound weight inside my acoustic, will it feel like a metal resonator on my lap?

Next question: what can I feed through the sound hole to accomplish this? Eight 16-oz bottles of water? Holy crap, that image just made me realise how heavy a metal reso is! :eek:

The potentially-sacrificial acoustic for this experiment is a The Loar LO-16, which I'm guessing weighs three-to-four pounds, so adding eight pounds would probably result in something on the heavier resonator side, at 11-12 pounds.

Obviously, I could just go out and play a metal resonator in a store, but I need to feel (assuming I can still feel) what it's like after an hour or two, and the salesperson might think that's weird, especially if I need them to pick me up and put me in my car seat after I'm done playing.

roylor4 03-24-2019 08:10 AM

Depends

Quote:

Originally Posted by agfsteve (Post 6016587)
I'm not even going to do my usual pre-post search on this one, because I'm probably just crazy, but:

If I stuff an eight-pound weight inside my acoustic, will it feel like a metal resonator on my lap?

Next question: what can I feed through the sound hole to accomplish this? Eight 16-oz bottles of water? Holy crap, that image just made me realise how heavy a metal reso is! :eek:

The potentially-sacrificial acoustic for this experiment is a The Loar LO-16, which I'm guessing weighs three-to-four pounds, so adding eight pounds would probably result in something on the heavier resonator side, at 11-12 pounds.

Obviously, I could just go out and play a metal resonator in a store, but I need to feel (assuming I can still feel) what it's like after an hour or two, and the salesperson might think that's weird, especially if I need them to pick me up and put me in my car seat after I'm done playing.

It depends on what position you plan to play it in. Standing or between your legs (classical style) with a strap are really the best way to hold one. If you plan to play it on your R knee/thigh - fuggidaboutit. It will leave a huge dent in your thigh after 15-20 minutes and is hard to control the neck effectively due to it being so bottom heavy.

I had a Gretsch Honeydipper and it was monstrously loud and dang near as heavy. I sold it and got a Boxcar,

ohiopicker 03-24-2019 08:44 AM

OP: Are you certain you want a metal resonator? If so do you really want a full sized guitar? Have you considered a parlor resonator? Maybe listen to YouTube samples of some of the Republic Resonators. I have a parlor maple resonator by Republic that I am well satisfied with, and weight is not a problem. You might consider a full sized biscuit bridge wood resonator as well.

Realbluesman 03-24-2019 09:25 AM

I owned a metal reso for a short while. The weight (sitting down) was a lot, but tolerable. Dependent on the weather, though, it was the coldest guitar experience I ever had.

agfsteve 03-24-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roylor4 (Post 6016609)
It depends on what position you plan to play it in. Standing or between your legs (classical style) with a strap are really the best way to hold one. If you plan to play it on your R knee/thigh - fuggidaboutit. It will leave a huge dent in your thigh after 15-20 minutes and is hard to control the neck effectively due to it being so bottom heavy.

I had a Gretsch Honeydipper and it was monstrously loud and dang near as heavy. I sold it and got a Boxcar,

My playing style for my acoustic is the conventional right-thigh style, always sitting down, so I guess that would be challenging.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiopicker (Post 6016631)
OP: Are you certain you want a metal resonator? If so do you really want a full sized guitar? Have you considered a parlor resonator? Maybe listen to YouTube samples of some of the Republic Resonators. I have a parlor maple resonator by Republic that I am well satisfied with, and weight is not a problem. You might consider a full sized biscuit bridge wood resonator as well.

No, I'm not certain I want a metal resonator; in fact, I just ordered a Gretsch Alligator Biscuit, which is wood, but I'm already thinking ahead and wondering.

I had not thought of a metal parlor resonator, so that would presumably bring down the weight a bit, although I guess balance would still be an issue.

roylor4 03-24-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agfsteve (Post 6016712)
My playing style for my acoustic is the conventional right-thigh style, always sitting down, so I guess that would be challenging.

No, I'm not certain I want a metal resonator; in fact, I just ordered a Gretsch Alligator Biscuit, which is wood, but I'm already thinking ahead and wondering.

I had not thought of a metal parlor resonator, so that would presumably bring down the weight a bit, although I guess balance would still be an issue.

Yeah, the weight issue is discussed quite a bit but the balance factor isn't. Keeping the guitar in proper position on R thigh takes away a LOT of your fret-hand freedom- especially playing bottleneck.

I would be surprised if you weren't happy with the Alligator. Gretsch is the top of the heap in low price resos - I think you'll be a happy camper with what you're getting.

archerscreek 03-24-2019 12:41 PM

I have a 12 fret steel bodied National NRP that I play sitting down, regular right leg position. The only time I notice the weight is when I grab the neck and lift the reso from the case.

Seriously, I've played for multiple hours straight and had zero issues with its weight resting on my leg. I do have a 30# toddler that's always climbing on me, so maybe the reso feels light by comparison. Haha.

Because of the different size/shape/balance of the guitar, it took me a couple days, maybe even a week or so, to settle into a playing position that now seems as comfortable as an old hat.

archerscreek 03-24-2019 12:48 PM

One other thing. I think my 12 fret NRP weighs around 7.5 pounds. A dread weighs around 4.5 pounds. So that case of water bottles shoved in the soundhole of an acoustic might be a bit much. Haha. You definitely need to post a picture of this experiment, though.

agfsteve 03-24-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archerscreek (Post 6016880)
One other thing. I think my 12 fret NRP weighs around 7.5 pounds. A dread weighs around 4.5 pounds. So that case of water bottles shoved in the soundhole of an acoustic might be a bit much. Haha. You definitely need to post a picture of this experiment, though.

LOL. I think I'll just add a bottle every two or three days, starting with one, then gradually building up to seven or eight, so eventually my regular acoustic will already weigh in at ten or eleven pounds, so switching to a metal reso will be unnoticeable.

frankmcr 03-24-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agfsteve (Post 6016913)
LOL. I think I'll just add a bottle every two or three days, starting with one, then gradually building up to seven or eight, so eventually my regular acoustic will already weigh in at ten or eleven pounds, so switching to a metal reso will be unnoticeable.

Just buy a Les Paul (Traditional), and play and carry that around for a few months. After that, a steel-body National will feel like a feather.

Silly Moustache 03-24-2019 05:21 PM

sed to own a great National Style "O" Deluxe. Sounded great ... actually a bit too loud, but it always gave me back ache if I played to for too long.

I swapped it for an Estralita (wood body) not so fancy, but easier to cope with.

Guest 728 03-24-2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 6017107)
I swapped it for an Estralita (wood body) not so fancy, but easier to cope with.

What Estralitas lack in fancy, they make up for in classy!

When I wanted a lighter weight reso, I got a wood body, too.

Here's my former Estralita "Harlem Slim" and my current M2:

https://i.imgur.com/RH6xyIvl.jpg?1 https://i.imgur.com/cqZa9qil.jpg

TBman 03-24-2019 09:17 PM

I had an all metal Republic Tricone. Beautiful instrument. I didn't bond with it and the potential hernia helped my decision to trade it for something I play often.

Bob Womack 03-25-2019 06:59 AM

Have you ever had a heavy Les Paul on your lap? It isn't much different. Put the waist of the guitar on your left knee. Toilet! or voile'! Whatever that French word is.

Bob

agfsteve 03-26-2019 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Womack (Post 6017499)
Have you ever had a heavy Les Paul on your lap? It isn't much different. Put the waist of the guitar on your left knee. Toilet! or voile'! Whatever that French word is.

Bob

No, but my strat (Godin Progression Plus) causes me problems after maybe an hour if I don't move it around a bit. I don't think my tele does, though (G & L ASAT Tribute), so I think the strat must weigh a little more, but also it is carved, so less of its bottom is pressing down, so more lbs / square inch, I guess, which is also what is making me hope that a metal resonator would actually not be as bad as a much thinner (i.e. electric) guitar.