The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Baggs M80 with a Red Eye preamp? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469817)

SalFromChatham 05-13-2017 05:11 AM

Baggs M80 with a Red Eye preamp?

Has anyone combined a baggs M80 or M1A with a redeye preamp?

I have two guitars with K&Ks, and two with the Baggs soundhole pups. I played a bar last night with the M80/redeye combination. It sounded ok, but I mainly wanted that "boost button". My duo partner and I go into a Bose L1.

Does the redeye help? Does it hurt? Your experiences? Its been great for my K&K's - no doubt. Last night was the first time I used it with the Baggs M80. I just want to make sure I didn't cause a vortex in the universe.

varmonter 05-13-2017 05:59 AM

I just bought an m80. I put it in my k&k equipped
D28s. I run it through a grace felix..i did not have
To make any tonal adjusments..now i havnt read
The specs for the m80 yet but the felix is set for
1 mohm input impedance which is what kk recommends.
I think the kk is hotter/louder then the baggs albeit a bit
Darker as well. But the baggs has a more even response
Across the strings (after some pole peice adj).
Both are adequate. My point here i guess is that in my
Experience the baggs sounded good through my felix
With the same settings i use for my kk. The redeye should
Produce similar results.
As far as i can tell the the universe is still closed.

guitom 05-13-2017 12:01 PM

I did the M80 in passive mode with the red eye. I thought it sounded great.

JedimasterPaul 08-11-2017 07:54 AM

I just put a Baggs m80 in my L-00. Used it at practice last night through the house passive DI at church. Sounded really good, although I think I may try my Fire Eye next time I'm up for practice, for the boost button in nothing else.

I find the boost button useful when I switching from strumming with a pick to fingerstyle.

noledog 08-11-2017 12:52 PM

My D18/M80 sounds nice straight into my Loudbox Performer tweaked with the onboard mid-cut and anti-feedback control, however, add in the Boss AD-2and it's wonderfully close to the unplugged sound...they make a great combo!
I used to use a Body Rez with the M80, it was nice in the low end, mid-cut and lite compression, but it thinned out the highs too much...the AD-2 works better with the M80 imo > phat! I set the M80 volume at 5 so if I need a boost I can dial it up via the volume wheel on the pickup.
The Red-Eye is a wonderful preamp matched with certain pickups, but I find certain pickups are more suited to certain preamps to better achieve the specific results your looking for.

MrErikJ 08-11-2017 02:29 PM

Not to hijack, but on a related note:

I saw a discounted M1 passive at Shoreline and was thinking about getting it for my Guild. I typically use the LB6 but my Guild is my "strumming" guitar and I thought the mag might work better for that. I figured I'd run it into my PADI, anyone try that or have any thoughts on the passive M1? Any preamp recos?