The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New Taylor Model Unveiling October 2-4 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592046)

ribsareyummy 09-08-2020 11:14 AM

New Taylor Model Unveiling October 2-4

Google News floated me an article about a virtual event coming up October 2-4 called "Guitar.com Live", and the article included this tidbit from Jim Kirlin at Taylor:

“The third is a fantastic new guitar that we’ll be unveiling at the Guitar.com Live event. We think it will be a game-changer for many players. Designed entirely from the ground up, it promises to inspire people in a whole new way.”

(The other two things they're showcasing are Builder's Edition models and American Dream.)

Link to the full story: https://guitar.com/features/intervie...s-guitar-live/

At this point I don't even have a guess on what it might be.

golfreggie 09-08-2020 12:15 PM

Well, now that might get me interested if it is indeed a unique model. But I will be waiting and anticipating any news!

jricc 09-08-2020 12:37 PM

Something new from Taylor is always intriguing to me!

Rev Roy 09-08-2020 12:47 PM

Another “game changer” from Taylor, huh? Seems to happen every year - V-bracing, Grand Pacifics, Builder’s Editions...and now (?). Be interesting to see what they come up with. I can already hear the PR department revving up to full throttle.

gr81dorn 09-08-2020 12:52 PM

Fairly big claims: "game-changer for many players", "Designed entirely from the ground up", "promises to inspire people in a whole new way.”

Taylor is GREAT at marketing, so could be a tremendous build up for a microscopic change to an existing product. V Class was sorta pushed with these buzz word, but was the least sexy change you could make - something you can't see.

A few fun thoughts:

• A parlor guitar...they have some little stuff, but never have they done something like a traditional Parlor guitar, smaller size 0ish 12 fret. Couch and little guitars are all the rage and GS minis aren't for everyone, certainly not the people who still want a full scale and all-solid, nicer guitar. I think this would be a killer addition to their line-up.

• 12 (GC) sized American Dream

• T5 type thing but from a totally different approach to voicing (more the approach the Acoustasonics from Fender have) and a slightly different approach to the shape and size.

• A SERIOUS Electric Guitar of some sort...a guy can dream, but if Taylor made a legit semi-hollow, they could get me excited. T3 is not what I'm talking about at all in its construction or orientation. I mean do what Eastman did with the Romeo, or what Beard has been teasing. Something a little unique, but still traditional enough to really hit the core of that higher-end electric market that ISN'T fender copies.

Can;t wait to see what it is...

RP 09-08-2020 02:07 PM

With the introduction of the American Dream guitars, the next logical step would be to re-introduce '90s vintage Taylors that so many seem to like....

Rev Roy 09-08-2020 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 6491949)
With the introduction of the American Dream guitars, the next logical step would be to re-introduce '90s vintage Taylors that so many seem to like....

Somehow that doesn’t sound like a “ground up” “game changer.” More of a nostalgia play. But with Taylor’s marketing folks in hyperdrive who knows?

Rogerblair 09-08-2020 03:47 PM

I’m not sure I can afford to have my game changed any more. As someone said, Taylor is the king of marketing.

Rb

Guitartanzon 09-08-2020 04:04 PM

Yea
The game changer is ......

all solid woods 1 3/4 nut GS Mini..!!!!!!!!!!! wow!!!!!!!!! unbelievable!!!!!
. (just kidding)

usb_chord 09-08-2020 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitartanzon (Post 6492062)
Yea

all solid woods 1 3/4 nut GS Mini..!!!!!!!!!!! wow!!!!!!!!! unbelievable!!!!!
. (just kidding)

. . . .

;)

Brucebubs 09-08-2020 04:11 PM

Am I the only one that thought Taylor's guitar line up was just fine before Andy Powers came along and reinvented everything?

Can't help thinking if he's so great why didn't he build his own guitars .... like auto executive John DeLorean did! :)

Guitartanzon 09-08-2020 04:19 PM

Yea

all solid woods 1 3/4 nut GS Mini..24 inch scale , mini V bracing !!!!!!!!!!! wow!!!!!!!!! unbelievable!!!!!
. (just kidding)

These terms they use, “ Game Changer”

an Asteroid the size of Texas hitting us is a “ Game Changer”

Rev Roy 09-08-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucebubs (Post 6492072)
Am I the only one that thought Taylor's guitar line up was just fine before Andy Powers came along and reinvented everything?

Can't help thinking if he's so great why didn't he build his own guitars .... like auto executive John DeLorean did! :)

Andy’s first big move was to “reimagine” the lineup with Advanced Performance X bracing, which I liked a lot. Then came V-bracing just a few years later, which I find to be a bass-buster in all but the Grand Pacifics (the only model specifically made for V-bracing). I like Andy and thinks he’s a fine luthier and player. But in my view the only home run he’s hit so far is the GPs...

mrjop1975 09-08-2020 04:27 PM

I like my GS mini, don't get me wrong, but if Taylor had a parlor in there lineup, even if it was in the 100 or 200 series, I would have gotten that instead. I'm curious about this new item coming out. We'll wait and see.

RP 09-08-2020 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev Roy (Post 6492036)
Somehow that doesn’t sound like a “ground up” “game changer.” More of a nostalgia play...

I don't listen to the marketing hype, but chronologically, the 90s Taylors would follow the American Dream. I don't know; maybe it will be 80s Taylors with moustache bridges...