The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Silence from tonedexterers.. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498602)

The Arborist 02-01-2018 06:21 AM

Silence from tonedexterers..

I have ordered a tonedexter..will have to take a hit on customs to import to Ireland unfortunately but from what ive read here its going to be worth it!
Tondexter threads here seem to have gone quiet..must be a good sign that users are happy...

Jack Orion 02-01-2018 07:56 AM

or they're too busy drawing a big V on their guitars to get them to play in tune better....

varmonter 02-01-2018 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Orion (Post 5623767)
or they're too busy drawing a big V on their guitars to get them to play in tune better....

Ha I tried that it didn't work..,

My tonedexter is chugging along nicely.
My gigging guitar is in the shop for awhile.
I am using some other guitars i have and they
are working good with the TD wavemaps i've
already made.

The Arborist 02-01-2018 08:15 AM

So I suppose wavemapping is a thing now :)

dannyg1 02-01-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Arborist (Post 5623776)
So I suppose wavemapping is a thing now :)

It’s the second newest fix for guitar chaos.

J Patrick 02-01-2018 09:53 AM

...i came home from vacation in New Zealand this week to find my Tonedexter waiting for me...(i ordered it when they were out of stock and it took a couple months to ship)....i plan on doing a more in depth review but for now i'll just say wowza...it works as well as advertised and its really the first preamp of the many i've owned that actually makes me want to plug in my acoustic....great stuff from audio sprockets!!

Gordon Currie 02-01-2018 10:39 AM

I think you're going to start seeing threads like this by BluesKing777:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=498587

gfirob 02-01-2018 01:32 PM

I can't say enough good things about the Tonedexter. The bottom line to me is this—if you paid some serious money for your guitar because of the way it sounds, this device is the only way you are going to get that sound out an an amplifier. There is nothing like it. I just bought another K&K to equip a 1937 Kalamazoo KG-14 so I could use it to perform, because my Martin OM sounds so good through the Tonedexter. The telling moment is when you train the Tonedexter and then switch back and forth between the raw pickup and the Tonedexter signal. The difference is astonishing. This is not just another pre-amp.

guitaniac 02-02-2018 11:09 AM

Here's a little non-silence about ToneDexter. I've found that its definitely good for home recording. It takes the quack right out of a direct-from-pickup strumming accompaniment. To my ear, its not quite as articulate (with my Barbera Soloist pickup, at least) as a good condenser mic recording. The difference isn't easily apparent, however.

https://soundcloud.com/guitaniac/jan...h-tonedexter-1

tadol 02-02-2018 12:00 PM

Not sure the Tonedexter is really designed as a replacement for a good mic, when doing recording - its real strength is in getting a great tone out of an amplified instrument, using a pickup. If you can do it with a mic without any problems, then you should - but when you can't use a mic, as is impossible in many situations, the Tonedexter is an amazing tool. While I've just scratched the surface of it, I look forward to borrowing a couple higher end mics for training, and I am getting pickups in a couple of my higher end guitars so that I can actually use them conveniently amplified -

Gordon Currie 02-02-2018 12:24 PM

Guitaniac has a great point. Beyond live use, getting an 80-90% miked signal for home/demo recording is a HUGE time saver.

Agreed it is not a replacement for a full mike setup, but when I have a composition I am developing, I'd rather put the mike setup time towards recording quickly (before the inspiration is gone).

Vancebo 02-02-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Orion (Post 5623767)

Bad time for me to be sipping coffee when I read this. Surprised that my keyboard still works.

Find a local Sound productions company. These places rent gear and for sure they would have a pair of Top of the line mics for you to use for a couple of days. By "use", I mean "rent".

guitaniac 02-02-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tadol (Post 5625402)
Not sure the Tonedexter is really designed as a replacement for a good mic, when doing recording - its real strength is in getting a great tone out of an amplified instrument, using a pickup. If you can do it with a mic without any problems, then you should - but when you can't use a mic, as is impossible in many situations, the Tonedexter is an amazing tool. While I've just scratched the surface of it, I look forward to borrowing a couple higher end mics for training, and I am getting pickups in a couple of my higher end guitars so that I can actually use them conveniently amplified -

They actually did upgrade the ToneDexter design for the benefit of those of us who want to use it for home recording. They revised ToneDexter so that you could use slot 22 to create a wavemap which doesn't reduce the gain on the two lowest resonant frequencies of the guitar. (The resonant frequency reduction feature {available on slots 1 through 21} is helpful for preventing feedback in live settings.)

Personally, I like to record from the pickup because it allows me to record guitar and vocal simultaneously, and to move around some while doing it. For my purposes, the feel of the performance is a higher priority than achieving the absolute best guitar sound.

jimbosyn 02-02-2018 01:57 PM

I have one but I tend to lurk more than post. It is absolutely incredible. It's truly your guitar only louder. I used a $70 AKG Perception to train it and the change in tone is jaw dropping. BTW, all my guitars have K&K pickups. Previously I used a red-eye, but this is in another class.

After I trained the TD, I plugged into a powered speaker to test it at a louder volume. At first I thought I had forgotten to turn on the speaker. The sound coming from the guitar was an EXACT replica of the sound coming out of the amp. That was the moment I realized that nothing else would ever be able to match this level of sound replication for an acoustic guitar.

The Arborist 02-02-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitaniac (Post 5625438)
They actually did upgrade the ToneDexter design for the benefit of those of us who want to use it for home recording. They revised ToneDexter so that you could use slot 22 to create a wavemap which doesn't reduce the gain on the two lowest resonant frequencies of the guitar. (The resonant frequency reduction feature {available on slots 1 through 21} is helpful for preventing feedback in live settings.)

Personally, I like to record from the pickup because it allows me to record guitar and vocal simultaneously, and to move around some while doing it. For my purposes, the feel of the performance is a higher priority than achieving the absolute best guitar sound.

I intend to record with tonedexter because I use strymon timeline and neunaber stereo wet reverb for a slight ambience. This can push ideas in certain directions that would not be obvious by playing unplugged. Setting up a mic when the muse strikes is to be avoided sometimes.
I also have gotten used to hearing my Furch with k & k through delay/ reverb and into my studio monitors at a medium to low volume so that when I am recording an idea I also hear the actual acoustic sound mixed with the amplified sound and this is very nice. Unfortunately when the recording is played back that nice acoustic bloom is missing and the soul of the sound is missing.
Tonedexter when it arrives will hopefully cure this. I also enjoy recording with a nice mic but subtle delay/ reverb are part of my "sound"
Looking forward to its arrival!!