The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   I only need 5 or 6 more guitars... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535545)

TBman 01-22-2019 08:37 PM

I only need 5 or 6 more guitars...

GAS is terrible.

I need something with cedar/walnut. Maybe a Furch, maybe a Lowden. The Taylor's 714ce is still fresh in my mind and those Brook and Northwoods look great online. I can see a Waterloo on my lap and I better get a J-15 before you can't anymore.

Ugh. :D

woodbox 01-22-2019 08:56 PM

That's so funny, cuz I've spent a good part of the day playing through the ones I have in the closet now,
trying to pick which five I should let go of.

You're not helping!

(there's that Gibson in classifieds that catches my eye... hmmm)
(oh, yeah, then there's that Halcyon 12 fret that's intriguing)
(and then that Taylor............)

I will be strong in my resolve and resistance to temptation.

Duh 01-22-2019 09:51 PM

Why limit yourself?

You need
1. a good dreadnought, Martin, Lowden or whatever your preference
2. 12 string acoustic
3. Gibson SG or Les Paul
4. Fender Stratocaster or Tele
5. Resonator
6. 12 string Rickenbacker
7. A good Mini for easy traveling
8. An acoustic bass
9. Baritone guitar
10. Mandolin
11. A nice classical guitar
12. guitalele
13. charango
14. Bandurria

Am I forgetting anything?

Jim Owen 01-22-2019 10:13 PM

Let it pass, Barry. (I’ve run out of room for cases, and I’m broke, so I ain’t in the GAS fit right now.)

Mbroady 01-22-2019 10:32 PM

Not sure about 6 more guitars but I also have GAS for a Cedar top guitar.
I look at pics and listen to vids and.....anticipate this years tax return :)

byudzai 01-23-2019 12:48 AM

Don't forget about carbon fiiiiiiiiiiiiberrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/7k...KjM9APXc=w2400

muscmp 01-23-2019 11:52 AM

at least you are honest. go for it!

play music!

harpspitfire 01-23-2019 12:05 PM

i got past this addiction going thru it with astronomy, i got 1 acoustic, i need 1 acoustic- LOL

Guitartanzon 01-23-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duh (Post 5956992)
Why limit yourself?

You need
2. 12 string acoustic
3. Gibson SG or Les Paul
5. Resonator
8. An acoustic bass
9. Baritone guitar
10. Mandolin
12. guitalele
13. charango
14. Bandurria

Yea...you should be able to play guitar well enough to rationalize having a stable of guitars....which is not my case!

Chickee 01-23-2019 01:19 PM

I’m at the tipping point to buy a Faith(either Venus or Neptune Blood Moon edition)guitar, but the dealer who carries them says to me “I won’t be here next week cuz I’ll be at NAMM.” Now I’m waiting to see all the new gear being released before a purchase. I would like to see either a sunburst or ebony Yamaha Ac5r released(just wishful thinking), and hoping for something special out of the Washburn and Alvarez camps. I want them all!

Jaden 01-23-2019 01:39 PM

I hear you about the J-15, but I’m not a good guitar player like you are Barry so it’s easier for me to resist especially in light of the super responsive paper thin top and bracing and rich overtones of my 000-18. Way beyond my skill level as it is. The instrument exceeds the player by a wide margin. No gas.

Mr Bojangles 01-23-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duh (Post 5956992)
Why limit yourself?

You need
2. 12 string acoustic
3. Gibson SG or Les Paul
5. Resonator
8. An acoustic bass
9. Baritone guitar
10. Mandolin
12. guitalele
13. charango
14. Bandurria

Yes! What do you mean, "a Gibson SG or Les Paul, and a Fender Stratocaster or Tele?? Obviously, we all need several of all of those! And one dreadnought is no where near enough.

Duh 01-23-2019 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles (Post 5957624)
Yes! What do you mean, "a Gibson SG or Les Paul, and a Fender Stratocaster or Tele?? Obviously, we all need several of all of those! And one dreadnought is no where near enough.

Well, I already have a collectors item Gibson Les Paul gold top and it's the one that Clapton thought was too heavy. I've never liked the neck the way I liked an SG. And, my addiction began when I played a 1970 fender Strat and a Martin D35 Brazilian still on the shelf in 1970. And for Gibson? it was Cream, the women's tone, and the gritty Crossroads sound. So, an SG with the right pickups will be fine, and I'll probably buy a new Strat, Made in Mexico, as long as I like the neck. I had a 61 Tele that I sold for, (take a breath) $200 back in 1976. Never liked it. IF I wanted one more electric besides the Rickenbacker, I'd get a Gibson ES 335. As for another dreadnaught? Someday, I may add a Lowden but when I even think about it, my Martin starts leering at my neck while she sharpens her knife.

IndyHD28 01-24-2019 04:32 AM

I have controlled my GAS (and the deterioration of my marriage) by artificially convincing myself that I have a three guitar limit. This hasn’t stopped me from getting the hots for a J-45 Studio. So, I’ve got to decide if it’s worth selling one.