The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Enjoying the Spire Studio (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502715)

terrypl 03-07-2018 08:49 PM

Enjoying the Spire Studio

I have enjoyed recording with the Zoom H2 and also with a Blue Yeti USB mike directly into GarageBand, but my new favorite fun device is the Spire Studio paired with the Spire app on my iPad.

Geez, talk about intuitive and user-friendly. I was always struggling with the H2's tiny info screen, but with the iPad, I can easily see what I'm doing. The whole Spire process is ridiculously straightforward and simple, allowing me to record track after track without getting hung up with settings or details. I can wirelessly export the individual tracks to my Mac for import into GarageBand, where I can do further fine-tuning, although the Spire does have enough built-in effects and mixing features to create a basic multitrack demo. Not cheap at $350, but a lot of bang for the buck.

The Spire has a built-in mike, but I have also been plugging in a second mike in order to capture two "stereo" tracks of guitar, or to record guitar and vocal at the same time. Despite the bleed, I can still adjust each track separately for a better mix.

Not saying all this is achieving professional quality, as I'm not a pro. But sure is a lot of fun and best of all, simple.

muscmp 03-08-2018 11:45 AM

i've heard a lot of good things about the spire. izotope puts out a lot of great products. i have their ozone 7 and it is great.

play music!

Trevor B. 03-09-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscmp (Post 5662706)
i've heard a lot of good things about the spire. izotope puts out a lot of great products. i have their ozone 7 and it is great.

play music!

Speaking of iZotope; I just acquired RX 6 (Standard) a few days ago and have already removed finger squeaks and what I'm assuming was a headphone cable thump from a solo guitar track. Amazing!!!

Trevor B. 03-09-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrypl (Post 5662203)
I have enjoyed recording with the Zoom H2 and also with a Blue Yeti USB mike directly into GarageBand, but my new favorite fun device is the Spire Studio paired with the Spire app on my iPad.

Geez, talk about intuitive and user-friendly. I was always struggling with the H2's tiny info screen, but with the iPad, I can easily see what I'm doing. The whole Spire process is ridiculously straightforward and simple, allowing me to record track after track without getting hung up with settings or details. I can wirelessly export the individual tracks to my Mac for import into GarageBand, where I can do further fine-tuning, although the Spire does have enough built-in effects and mixing features to create a basic multitrack demo. Not cheap at $350, but a lot of bang for the buck.

The Spire has a built-in mike, but I have also been plugging in a second mike in order to capture two "stereo" tracks of guitar, or to record guitar and vocal at the same time. Despite the bleed, I can still adjust each track separately for a better mix.

Not saying all this is achieving professional quality, as I'm not a pro. But sure is a lot of fun and best of all, simple.

Just checked this out online. So now you can carry your recording studio around in a lunch pail. Incredible! Congratulations on your new recording set-up.

JakeStone 11-28-2018 11:45 AM

Resurrecting an old thread.

I recently scored a Spire Studio.

Hope to do a little review soon.

Any other users here?

Captain Jim 12-05-2018 08:12 PM

I just came across this - that Spire Studio looks very interesting. I have been using a Zoom H4n Pro, but it is a lot of rigamarole to move a track, or even get a click beat set up. This Spire looks easy.

Christmas is coming. ;)

JakeStone 12-05-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 5910287)
I just came across this - that Spire Studio looks very interesting. I have been using a Zoom H4n Pro, but it is a lot of rigamarole to move a track, or even get a click beat set up. This Spire looks easy.

Christmas is coming. ;)

I just got one and have been putting it through it's paces. So far, I really like it and use it every day.

The process is amazingly simple and fast... from setup to recording, multi tracking, mixing, playback .. Easy Transfer to PC and DAW.

v32 finish 12-05-2018 11:09 PM

I've never heard of this before.

I am a total recording newb.. I'm interested (and have been for a while) in being able to shoot simple guitar reviews and sound clips. I want to be able to get *decent*-to-good video, with good-to-very-good audio... WITHOUT a bunch of post processing/ editing/ syncing etc. I'm thinking about the Zoom Q2N .. but.. ehh.. I don't know.

Anyway, just popping over here to see about a solution.. I need to pick a direction and stop worrying about it ;)

JakeStone 12-06-2018 08:43 AM

I have been dabbling in home recordings for a few years.
Keeping it simple and getting high quality without too much setup is what I am after.

In the past I have owned the Zoom H5 recorder and also the Apogee MiC w/iPad.

I must say, I am totally impressed with the Spire Studio system.

Sound quality of course is subjective and there are so many variables.

Below are 2 simple recordings made with my Spire.
This is what my J-45 acoustic guitar sounds like..
FIRST one is Spire's internal mic only.
SECOND one is Spire with 2 Condenser mics attached.

Captain Jim 12-06-2018 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeStone (Post 5910652)
I have been dabbling in home recordings for a few years.
Keeping it simple and getting high quality without too much setup is what I am after.

In the past I have owned the Zoom H5 recorder and also the Apogee MiC w/iPad.

I must say, I am totally impressed with the Spire Studio system.

Sound quality of course is subjective and there are so many variables.

Below are 2 simple recordings made with my Spire.
This is what my J-45 acoustic guitar sounds like..
FIRST one is Spire's internal mic only.
SECOND one is Spire with 2 Condenser mics attached.

Those sound great, Jake! Thanks for posting the clips - it convinced me; I ordered a Spire Studio this morning. Regular ground shipping, so it will probably be a week or so before I see it.

"Simple" and "easy" with decent sound is what I'm looking for. With the Zoom H4n Pro, the recording sounds decent, but it takes a lot of fussing to record with the stereo mics then transfer that to the 4 track. If I put in bass, drums, and vocal tracks, I am out of tracks, without blending down in other software. I am all about easy these days. I don't plan on giving up my day job of being retired to mess with recording. I have been making a catalog of songs at my wife's request. It's a grind being a trophy husband, but it's all I know.

Thanks again for that last push I needed.

JakeStone 12-06-2018 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 5911013)
Those sound great, Jake! Thanks for posting the clips - it convinced me; I ordered a Spire Studio this morning. Regular ground shipping, so it will probably be a week or so before I see it.

"Simple" and "easy" with decent sound is what I'm looking for. With the Zoom H4n Pro, the recording sounds decent, but it takes a lot of fussing to record with the stereo mics then transfer that to the 4 track. If I put in bass, drums, and vocal tracks, I am out of tracks, without blending down in other software. I am all about easy these days. I don't plan on giving up my day job of being retired to mess with recording. I have been making a catalog of songs at my wife's request. It's a grind being a trophy husband, but it's all I know.

Thanks again for that last push I needed.

Glad I could help ;)

Captain Jim 12-10-2018 03:39 PM

Out for delivery. :)

JakeStone 12-10-2018 04:37 PM

Nice!

Did you Download the Spire App yet?

Captain Jim 12-10-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeStone (Post 5915045)
Nice!

Did you Download the Spire App yet?

Hi Jake,

Yes, I played around with the app, but there are things not available until you can connect it to the Spire.

UPS came a knockin' around 5:00 this afternoon. Of course, I had to open it up and give it a try. Not ready for public consumption yet (I was messing with it between other tasks), but this is a slick unit... and, it sounds great.

I have a ceiling fan in my music room, and until I could see it graphically, I had no idea that the mic on the Spire was picking up that low hum. I made some sound checks with the guitar acoustically, plugged in, vocal through the inboard mic, bass, and drums... the sound check seems to do a fine job with setting the levels.

I'm impressed! Much easier to use compared to the Zoom H4n Pro. I need to play with the amps and effects to get a feel for their sound.

OK, one take with each track...

I will redo this in the right key for me, but I couldn't believe how easy this was - less than a half hour. This is going to be fun. :)

JakeStone 12-11-2018 07:35 AM

Awesome! Glad you are enjoying it Captain Jim.

It really is quick and easy to record multi tracks and mix. Your demo recording sounded great.

It only gets better as I learn to use the system. I have been experimenting with a few different mics.. Of course, room treatment will come in to play. But it really records clean and not a lot of hiss or noise.

Another cool thing about this setup is how easy it is to export and make available. Once recorded then I have choices to email, send to social media or export file(s). I have been using the Export individual tracks. Then I click on iPad's iCloud (cloud storage).. Once sent to iCloud. I can retrieve and download files to my Win10 system. Bring into DAW for any additional clean up or mixing.

Here's my make shift setup... Just getting started and trying to figure out how to fix up the room. I mostly record acoustic guitar and sing. I have the Audio-Technica AT2035 Condenser and for vocals a Senn e935.

https://i.imgur.com/R98WwYgl.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 5915300)
Hi Jake,

Yes, I played around with the app, but there are things not available until you can connect it to the Spire.

UPS came a knockin' around 5:00 this afternoon. Of course, I had to open it up and give it a try. Not ready for public consumption yet (I was messing with it between other tasks), but this is a slick unit... and, it sounds great.

I have a ceiling fan in my music room, and until I could see it graphically, I had no idea that the mic on the Spire was picking up that low hum. I made some sound checks with the guitar acoustically, plugged in, vocal through the inboard mic, bass, and drums... the sound check seems to do a fine job with setting the levels.

I'm impressed! Much easier to use compared to the Zoom H4n Pro. I need to play with the amps and effects to get a feel for their sound.

OK, one take with each track...

I will redo this in the right key for me, but I couldn't believe how easy this was - less than a half hour. This is going to be fun. :)