The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Yamaha or Cordoba (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552882)

Mactuner 07-24-2019 03:30 PM

Yamaha or Cordoba

Looking to replace an old nylon string guitar that I traded years ago. I mostly play a steel string acoustic but want another nylon as well. I am looking at a Cordoba C5 on a local site for half of regular retail in very good condition and a Yamaha G255Sii from a local merchant for about 50 more. The Yamaha has a few dings in the top but looks good other than that.

hesson11 07-24-2019 04:56 PM

Both companies build good guitars with excellent value. I've played many from both companies and have consistently found that I prefer Cordoba to Yamaha because they seem more responsive and lively. Also I prefer the thinner neck profile of Cordobas. But this is entirely a question of personal preference. I hope you are able to try both of them out in person and then choose the one that you prefer.

dkstott 07-24-2019 04:58 PM

A few questions;

What's your preference for playing - unplugged or amplified?

What genre are you planning on playing? Classical? Pop tunes? Jazz?

I'm an admittedly Cordoba fan, but I've never seen that Yamaha guitar.

Mactuner 07-24-2019 05:05 PM

I am leaning toward the Cordoba because of the neck profile as well. I play mostly fingerstyle and like to mix it up with a nylon string every once in a while. Also my daughter doesnt like to play my steel string so this is also for to play on as well.

Derick 07-26-2019 05:50 AM

I bought the Cordoba C5 five weeks ago, so my recommendation would be a little biased.

Biscuitninja 07-26-2019 02:05 PM

Just purchased a B-Stock C10 with extremely light scratch on the back (almost undetectable in normal light). Plays like a charm and it beautiful. The case is iffy though. I have played Yamaha s and they are nice, just prefer the atyle and tones of Cordoba.

Digelectric 07-27-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hesson11 (Post 6120575)
Both companies build good guitars with excellent value. I've played many from both companies and have consistently found that I prefer Cordoba to Yamaha because they seem more responsive and lively. Also I prefer the thinner neck profile of Cordobas. But this is entirely a question of personal preference. I hope you are able to try both of them out in person and then choose the one that you prefer.

I like both as well but also prefer Córdoba for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I’m also in the market for a new/used classical and have decided on the Córdoba as well.

colder 07-27-2019 07:32 PM

I’m currently considering a Yamaha GC32S and a Cordoba Solista Cedar. Both seem to be attractive guitars with great reputations and their own benefits, and are in the price range that I am considering but neither are available locally.

Any comments, from those who have played either or both of these?

Would be buying as a permanent keeper classical that’s a step up from my C5 :)

dkstott 07-29-2019 08:39 AM

I've owned a Spuce Solista and sold it to buy a Cedar C1-... Personally, I like the C10 over the Solista.

I think the construction quality of the Cordoba guitars made in Spain are inferior to those built in China. The ones I've that were made in Spain had high / sharp frets, excess poly finish, etc..

The C-10 also seems to be built lighter than the Solista and the neck is much more comfortable for me to play.

You can get a like new or barely played C10 from GC for under $1,000

Quote:

Originally Posted by colder (Post 6123349)
I’m currently considering a Yamaha GC32S and a Cordoba Solista Cedar. Both seem to be attractive guitars with great reputations and their own benefits, and are in the price range that I am considering but neither are available locally.

Any comments, from those who have played either or both of these?

Would be buying as a permanent keeper classical that’s a step up from my C5 :)

colder 07-29-2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkstott (Post 6124478)
I've owned a Spuce Solista and sold it to buy a Cedar C1-... Personally, I like the C10 over the Solista.

I think the construction quality of the Cordoba guitars made in Spain are inferior to those built in China. The ones I've that were made in Spain had high / sharp frets, excess poly finish, etc..

The C-10 also seems to be built lighter than the Solista and the neck is much more comfortable for me to play.

Really, that surprises me. I haven't played a Solista, but the Espana series guitars I have seen seemed to be good quality. Fret sprout I'm not overly concerned about, since a fret dressing is usually a part of me acquiring a good quality guitar on the used market.

I have a lead on a Solista, and a Yamaha GC32, so hopefully I will be able to play these by the end of the week. I will report back in case anyone is interested :)

colder 07-31-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkstott (Post 6124478)

Thank you for the tip, sir! I checked out the whole range of classicals at the best local shop, including a Yamaha and a Solista. They also had a range of New World guitars that were very nice, but the ones I liked most of New World were out of my price range.

I ended up coming to the same conclusion as you, and going with the C10. I felt the Solista was very nice and had a great sound, build quality seemed great to me, but I preferred the sound of the cedar-topped C10. (They had a spruce Solista for me to compare to a spruce C10 and a cedar C10, and I think I just like the cedar sound more)

Very happy with it and I was able to obtain it brand new for under $1k.

I appreciate the tips!

4-string 08-07-2019 12:03 PM

Happy to see all the favourable comments on Cordoba here, as I have one on order. Coming in in a couple of months or so, depending on CITES etc. It's a GK Pro Negra, which I'm hoping will suit my needs.

harpon 08-07-2019 09:17 PM

Has anyone here ye mentioned Truss Rods? Cordobas have had them for over a decade- I'm not sure if Yamaha is putting Truss Rods in classical yet

Definitely a factor for me- I had to finally abandon my first two viable classical guitars because of neck bend issues

dkstott 08-08-2019 05:06 AM

I'm not sure where you reside, but GC has GK Pro's in stock with no issues regarding CITES.

I absolutely love my GK Pro Negra. Be aware that inherent to it's construction is a bit of Flamenco string snap sound to it. It's not going to sound like a concert classical guitar when played acoustically. It's awesome for playing finger-style in a variety of genre's.

If you adjust your right hand technique, you can minimize the effect on the sound. I've got a Cordoba C-10 Cedar for when I want a much more classical sound to my guitar playing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-string (Post 6132151)
Happy to see all the favourable comments on Cordoba here, as I have one on order. Coming in in a couple of months or so, depending on CITES etc. It's a GK Pro Negra, which I'm hoping will suit my needs.

dkstott 08-08-2019 05:08 AM

While having a truss rod wasn't high on my nylon string guitar needs list, the fact that Cordoba has them certainly influenced my decision making.

My truss rods get adjusted about twice a year due to seasonal climate changes. You can't do that with a classical guitar without a truss rod.

Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by harpon (Post 6132562)
Has anyone here ye mentioned Truss Rods? Cordobas have had them for over a decade- I'm not sure if Yamaha is putting Truss Rods in classical yet

Definitely a factor for me- I had to finally abandon my first two viable classical guitars because of neck bend issues