The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Your favorite John Denver Songs? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653004)

tommieboy 09-05-2022 01:42 PM

Your favorite John Denver Songs?

According to Wikipedia, Rocky Mountain High (the album) was released on September 15, 1972. It's hard to grasp that it's been almost 50 years since I first heard this song! It was the first John Denver song I ever heard and still my favorite John Denver song of all time.

Other John Denver songs that I love that are typically never mentioned are:

Eagles And Horses (I place this song right up there with Rocky Mountain High)
The Flower That Shattered The Stone
Whalebones And Crosses
Christmas For Cowboys
Aspen Glow
Eclipse

Thanks,

Tommy

ozzman 09-05-2022 03:05 PM

poems and prayers and promises. first one came to mind.

Mr Bill 09-05-2022 03:13 PM

I like 'Ponies' written by Michael Johnson (one of John Denver's old bandmates before stardom), and I think 'Back Home Again' is one of the best country songs ever written.

I lived in Colorado in the 60s and 70s, and it's hard to overestimate the impact John Denver's music had on the people there. Folks moved to Colorado just because he sang about the place.

ssstewart 09-05-2022 04:08 PM

Annies Song

TheGITM 09-05-2022 05:09 PM

The Eagle and the Hawk
Calypso

KenL 09-05-2022 05:15 PM

I have played "Guess He'd Rather Be in Colorado" several times in public, and it always gets a big round of applause. It probably helps that I live in Colorado.

That is a favorite, as is "Take Me Home, Country Roads." Great harmonies. Plus my mom was born and raised in West Virginia.

I also play "RMH", but haven't in public. It is a hard song to play, and I can't play it and sing it both.

We are going to Aspen in a few days. I hope to get a photo of myself standing on that rock at the Slaughterhouse Falls just like JD on the album cover.

JD is one of the reasons I play guitar. The day he died was a hard day for me.

buddyhu 09-05-2022 05:41 PM

Berkeley Woman.

Andromeda 09-05-2022 06:11 PM

I'm a HUGE John Denver fan! I can count the songs I don't like on one hand and still have a couple of fingers left over. Rocky Mountain ��️ High is the reason I learned to play the guitar.

I'll give you my top 10.

1. Rocky Mountain High
2. Take Me Home, Country Roads
3. Annie's Song
4. Poems, Prayers & Promises
5. Boy From the Country
6. Shipmates and Cheyenne
7. Singing Skies and Dancing Waters
8. How Can I Leave You Again
9. Shanghai Breezes
10. This Old Guitar

And so many many more!

Edit: here are ten more!!

11. Sunshine on my Shoulders
12. Back Home Again
13. Leaving On a Jet Plane
14. Darcy Farrow
15. Matthew
16. Calypso
17. Perhaps Love
18. Rhymes & Reasons
19. Love is the Master
20. Follow Me

Slothead56 09-05-2022 07:55 PM

JD was a big early influence in my guitar history. Learned all the songs on the Greatest Hits album on as Harmony classic (which I still have) in 1974.

My fasts? Rhymes and Reasons and I’m Sorry.

Cypress Knee 09-05-2022 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenL (Post 7080225)
I have played "Guess He'd Rather Be in Colorado" several times in public, and it always gets a big round of applause. It probably helps that I live in Colorado.

That is a favorite, as is "Take Me Home, Country Roads." Great harmonies. Plus my mom was born and raised in West Virginia.

I also play "RMH", but haven't in public. It is a hard song to play, and I can't play it and sing it both.

We are going to Aspen in a few days. I hope to get a photo of myself standing on that rock at the Slaughterhouse Falls just like JD on the album cover.

JD is one of the reasons I play guitar. The day he died was a hard day for me.

My favorites include:
1. Rocky Mountain High
2. Poems, Prayers, and Promises
3. Rhymes and Reasons
4. The Eagle and the Hawk
5. I'd Rather Be A Cowboy

KenL, I was there a year ago. My picture and the description to the rock are here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=622896

I tried to recreate the RMH cover, but it was a challenge. You can tell be comparing the two photos that the camera should have been set up further to the left in order to position my head directly underneath the large rock which is about a hundred yards upstream. Please be advised that the bank there is a short, steep scramble among loose rocks, concrete blocks and rebar. If I remember correctly there is a small tree growing about where the camera should be positioned.

Best of luck, and post your pic once you take it.

birdsong 09-05-2022 08:49 PM

Huge fan, like others have posted. I still have several albums. So many great songs. A few I love and have played with others include:
Take Me Home country roads
Leaven’ on a Jet Plane - esp his live show duet with Mama Cass on YouTube
Eagle and the Hawk
Poems Prayers and Promises

Boy From the Country - I still play this one. When I was r-learning to play after some major radiation and chemotherapy this was one of the songs I started with using open G tuning to make it easier on my hands (and it worked).

Of course it was Written by his fellow Coloradoan Michael Martin Murphy - but JD made it a household song. And has for me one of the best “one liners”.

So many more…….

Warren01 09-05-2022 10:57 PM

What? No "thank god I'm a country boy"

Horsehockey 09-06-2022 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssstewart (Post 7080181)
Annies Song

In 1966, a folk singer named Henry John Deutschendorf Jr. (aka John Denver) met Ann Martell while playing a concert in Minnesota. They reunited a few months later, kept in touch with phone calls, and a year later, they married. That would be Saint Peter Minnesota, my hometown, and home to Gustavus Adolphus college. Annie’s father Jim Martell, owned the nicest restaurant in town called the Holiday House. Peter Paul and Mary had a nice dinner there too while my parents were there.

Bob Womack 09-06-2022 04:00 AM

My favorites were probably:
"Looking for Space"
"Farewell Andromeda - Welcome to My Morning,"
"For Baby, For Bobby"
"Shanghai Breezes"
"Rocky Mountain Suite"

Interesting that two of those songs were written about EST (which I didn't know until later). The album, Farewell Andromeda, is associated with an interesting historical pinpoint in my life: In August of 1973 I took a trip to Colorado, where I spent a week based at a ranch and hiking in the mountains west of Buena Vista. I got there and back via double-decker Super ScenicCruiser busses, three days each way. When I got back, my parents had bought me the album, Farewell Andromeda. They had looked for but couldn't find the Rocky Mountain High album. I picked it up later.

Bob

fitness1 09-06-2022 05:47 AM

Poems, Prayers and Promises
A Song For All Lovers
This Old Guitar
Saturday Night in Toledo Ohio
Season Suite: Late Winter, Early Spring