The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   G-major, 3 or 4 fingers? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157818)

piper_guitarist 06-28-2009 10:14 PM

G-major, 3 or 4 fingers?

Is either more technically correct than the other? Or is it just preference? What is everyone's preference in here?

ljguitar 06-28-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper_guitarist (Post 1888243)
Is either more technically correct than the other? Or is it just preference? What is everyone's preference in here?

Hi p_g...
What about only two?
Use the ring finger on 6th string 3rd fret and then use it's pad to mute the 5th string, and use the pinky to play the 3rd fret of the 6th string.

The difference between the 2 finger version, normal 3 finger version and the 4 finger version are:
- The 3 finger version doubles the 3rd of the chord
- The 4 finger version eliminates the doubled third of the chord by doubling the 5th (ring finger on 3rd fret of 2nd string), and it leads to easy transitions to 4 fingered versions of the C9 and F6 by moving fingers 2 & 1 up to the next set of strings.
- The 2 finger version eliminates both the doubled 5th and 3rd, and gives better (easier) access to the standard C chord.

mmmaak 06-29-2009 01:37 AM

To my ears (in very simplistic terms):

3x0003: More open.
320003: Fuller.
320033: Brighter/chimier

Brent Hutto 06-29-2009 04:25 AM

As a beginner at strumming chords (and near enough a beginner, period) I've been trying all three versions of the G chord although I generally give the 4-finger one a miss because I can't get in and out of it fast enough. I agree with both guys' advice on the sound and usage of the various versions.

But keep in mind that "technically correct" doesn't really apply to a choice like this. I don't think it's best to learn to play guitar as though there are no right and wrong fingerings and chord voices. For any chord, if there's a combination of strings and frets that is humanly possible to reach then some guitar player somewhere has probably used it in a particular situation. Free your thinking and approach every piece of music willing to do whatever it takes to play it well and sound like the sound you hear in your head.

Malcolm 06-29-2009 05:24 AM

Sometime you want a full sound, sometime you do not.

How full a G chord do you want. I use the three and one finger G and G7. And for that matter I'll use a one finger C and E7. Which one depending on how many other acoustic guitars are playing. If you have several acoustic guitars all playing open string chords it tends to get a little muddy. If we can each provide a different voice that problem is solved. I use the one finger chords to throw another voice in the mix. On some songs I'll capo into another voice, especially on some of the waltz tunes. Another way to avoid the muddy sound is to play 6ths, A6, B6, C6.

Look at playing just the 2, 3 and 4 strings - At the nut you have a G chord, at the 2nd fret you have an A chord, at the 4th you have an easy B, at the 5th you have a C chord, etc, etc. You can move into a three string barre anytime you want and on top of that you are now playing an inversion of the chord (another voice - the root note is not on the bottom). Want some G7, A7, etc. Catch the 7th with your little finger on the 1st string - take the little finger up one fret and you've got dominant sevenths.

As Brent pointed out there is more than one way to make any chord. Use the one that fits the situation best.

Have fun.

rmyAddison 06-29-2009 06:04 AM

As mentioned no right or wrong, I love th 4 finger version bacause it leads to a lot of other first position chords and walking bass lines.

This is from an earlier thread and deals with G major and some transitions

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...een+the+chords

Lou777 06-29-2009 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmaak (Post 1888301)
To my ears (in very simplistic terms):

3x0003: More open.
320003: Fuller.
320033: Brighter/chimier

This is what I hear. Learing all the how, when, and why makes my head spin. From my experience in other non guitar things, I can understand why the more ways you know to accomplish something the better. It helps you be more flexible and creative.

ljguitar 06-29-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper_guitarist (Post 1888243)

Hi p_g...
I don't have a preference, and actually use those and a bunch-o-other fingerings to play ''G'' major chords.

I tend to use the two finger version (3m0003) played with ring and little finger so I can intersperse other combinations of fingerings (like hammering in an Am chord form to build a C/G) and tend to use it for slower tempos, and find myself using the 4 finger version for driving rhythms or chunky strumming.

Why would someone only want to know one version of a chord?

Brent Hutto 06-29-2009 08:32 AM

You can also get the ultimate chunky version by doing a "power chord" version with 3x0033, right? I think I played something or another recently where they had a little chord-diagram box calling that out on a tab of some pop song.

kak1154 06-29-2009 08:51 AM

I try to use the 4-finger version whenever possible. To me, it almost always sounds better. However, sometimes it's just easier to switch when you use the 3-finger version. C comes to mind. I don't think I've ever used the 2-finger version.

chicago12string 06-29-2009 08:58 AM

how about just one..

3x00xx

rick-slo 06-29-2009 09:53 AM

Different things you can do with the G chord. The 3300X3 (treble to bass) has just the tonic and dominant notes of the G chord giving it an open modal drone quality. I used that in this clip:
http://dcoombsguitar.com/Guitar%20Music/HappyClip.mp3

GibbySWD 06-29-2009 02:16 PM

G5

I like this G power chord:

22044X

rick-slo 06-29-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GibbySWD (Post 1888730)
I like this G power chord:

22044X

You mean 33055x.

GibbySWD 06-30-2009 06:34 PM

G5

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick-slo (Post 1888747)
You mean 33055x.

Yes, of course I do.

My first post on this forum, and I eff'd it up. Man!