The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   AGF - home of fingerstyle or pickers? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605081)

Emil 01-26-2021 12:17 AM

AGF - home of fingerstyle or pickers?

It would be fun to map out the weapon of choice on the forum. Are you gravitating towards the pick or do you rather use the trysty old fingers.

Rukulele 01-26-2021 12:32 AM

Fingers almost always. Although I sometimes end up using my thumb pick for strumming and flat picking.

jontewright 01-26-2021 01:18 AM

Nearly always bare fingers and a thumb pick, unless I forget it then it’s just bare thumb but it feels/sounds too quiet now I’m used to a thumb pick .
I’ve tried finger picks but I just can’t get on with them.

blews 01-26-2021 02:01 AM

I wouldn’t know what to do with a pick....even on electrics...I use bare fingers....flesh on strings....anything else is foreign to me....

I envy you flatpickers....

Silurian 01-26-2021 02:26 AM

Bare fingers. There is a tactile connection that I don't get with a pick.

srick 01-26-2021 04:54 AM

In all my years on AGF, I think that this is the first time this question has been polled.Should be interesting!

Rick

Ken Carr 01-26-2021 05:06 AM

90% fingerstyle with thumb pick and finger picks. 10% with a flat pick.

Emil 01-26-2021 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srick (Post 6615473)
In all my years on AGF, I think that this is the first time this question has been polled.Should be interesting!

Rick

So far im extremely surprised with the outcome.
Fewer picker then i expected.
But maybe it’s due to the heavy flatpickers in the states hasn’t woken up yet :)

Nymuso 01-26-2021 05:35 AM

I’m transitioning from thumb pick and fingerpicks to thumb pick and bare fingers. When I played bass regularly my first two fingers were callused and I’m trying to build those up again. The finger picks were just too harsh and removed me from the tactile connection I want with the strings. Having my fingers free also opens up options with respect to rhythm and attack.

I am retaining the thumb pick, however, because I do want that definition in the bass string, and no way do I want nails.

DakotaCovers 01-26-2021 05:50 AM

I prefer fingerpicking! Many years ago, I used a thumb pick, and even some finger pics for a while. The thumb picks were always uncomfortable as they cut off my circulation and the finger picks grew out of favor with me. So, up until a couple of months ago, I just used my thumb and fingers. I really like to be connected with the guitar. I recently purchased some Black Mountain thumb picks and have been amazed at how much I like them for comfort and tone. (this is not an ad).

For some songs, I still use a flatpick, especially faster/rock songs, for strumming. My preference on that has changed over the years as well. I have been progressing towards thicker and thicker pics and, as of a few months ago, I use a Taylor Premium Darktone Thermex Pro, 1.5 mm. This is this first flatpick that has given me the tone I like from a pick. Taylor Thermex Ultra is a close second.

srick 01-26-2021 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emil (Post 6615490)
So far im extremely surprised with the outcome.
Fewer picker then i expected.
But maybe it’s due to the heavy flatpickers in the states hasn’t woken up yet :)

That’s funny.

I think there’s a certain amount of snobbishness in our pastime. IMO, the ladder goes something like this-> Most of us start with a plectrum, giving the impression that anyone can play with one (hah - just try to sound like Tony Rice). ->Then, fingerpicking requires lots of practice to get the rhythm down right, hence a stronger commitment. ->Even loftier than that is jazz guitar, where you have to actually know the notes you are playing and how they combine. -> And lastly, classical, where you have to be able to read music and play it back precisely.

And I know, the paragraph above is a moot point. Playing and making music is all about stirring the emotions and creating pleasure and interest. Who am I to say that the overplayed refrain from “Smoke on the Water” is any better than Segovia playing “El noir de la mar?” :D:D:D

Best,

Rick

PS - it brings to mind this story: I was in a music store, talking to the owner and making somewhat snide comments about Neil Young’s music. To which he replied, “Yeah, they may be simple progressions, but I’ll bet you remember each one of his songs.” Since then, I have listened a lot more closely to Neil’s work and have to agree, he is a master of the craft.

rstaight 01-26-2021 06:40 AM

I was taught with a pick so I am a flatpicker at heart. But the last couple years I have been attempting finger picking and I am about 50-50.

Old habits are hard to break. But once I get it I will have another tool in my toolbox. But I still like my flatpicking.

raysachs 01-26-2021 06:40 AM

Strumming and otherwise accompanying myself with a flatpick. Also a bit of lead playing with a pick. Pretty much everything I do on electric is with a pick. But fingerpicking is done with my fingers, some stuff bare flesh, some with thumb and fingerpicks... it’s not 50-50, I do more with a pick than my fingers. But I just started fingerpicking in the last few years and I’m getting more into it.

-Ray

llew 01-26-2021 06:47 AM

Don't know if it's 50/50 but I do both...

StrummingMadMan 01-26-2021 07:32 AM

I have an 85/15 split favoring a pick.