The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   S. Kinnaird build: a redwood for Stan - Video added! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516056)

nacluth 08-21-2018 03:01 PM

Here’s more progress:

Faceplate for the peghead.

https://s19.postimg.cc/cd5tflwxf/ABC...67_DBEB1_F.jpg


Cutting the rough shape out on the bandsaw.

https://s19.postimg.cc/6c84ijpqr/908...F38_C47653.jpg


Getting the exact shape with the chisel.

https://s19.postimg.cc/d2olrz56r/52_...A39_BD7_DE.jpg


Purfling the peghead.

https://s19.postimg.cc/magu8nwtf/B7_...25_DB2_D23.jpg


More tomorrow.

TomB'sox 08-21-2018 03:18 PM

If I may be so bold to ask a question, when refining the shape of the peghead and using the chisel which I would be afraid might find a piece of grain it would like to follow and end up taking out a chunk that was not meant to come it, would it be appropriate to take that to a disc sander or something of the like and lay it flat on the table and sand it to the line?

SJ VanSandt 08-21-2018 04:38 PM

I hope the fingers under those bandages are intact! (4th Photo.)

nacluth 08-22-2018 03:58 PM

Getting the top purfling with a Teflon spacer installed. Afterwards we will pull the Teflon and slide in some curly mahogany to match the rosette.

https://s19.postimg.cc/vwtpabzur/A6_...5_C5_FEA32.jpg

mikealpine 08-22-2018 04:49 PM

Looking pretty as the guitar comes together!

nacluth 08-23-2018 03:55 PM

And with my third hand...
 
Putting a little Amazon binding on...

https://s19.postimg.cc/ab249ve4z/3_B...C8_B16_FF7.jpg

SJ VanSandt 08-23-2018 04:03 PM

Holy Moly! It works! I am having second thoughts about the teflon purfling though. Is it too late to change that out? ;)

SJ VanSandt 08-26-2018 12:12 PM

Is today just Sunday? Seems like it's been a month since the binding went on. I hope you post pics of the curly mahogany purfling going in - I'm curious how you go about that. I don't imagine it comes in 4 ft. lengths like the binding, does it?

nacluth 08-27-2018 08:11 PM

We will post pics of that happening. Unfortunately, we had some shop work to take care of today, so all I have is this sloppy picture of glue smeared around the joint we’re fitting. More soon.

https://s19.postimg.cc/j7ofho64j/230...15967_D961.jpg

Guitars44me 08-27-2018 09:06 PM

Wolf whistle here...
 
Looking MIGHTY FINE indeed.

I Second all the comments on how pretty this is!

Way to go

Paul

Steve Kinnaird 08-27-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 5815099)
If I may be so bold to ask a question, when refining the shape of the peghead and using the chisel which I would be afraid might find a piece of grain it would like to follow and end up taking out a chunk that was not meant to come it, would it be appropriate to take that to a disc sander or something of the like and lay it flat on the table and sand it to the line?

Sorry to be late with your answer, Tom. This shot was taken after the belt sander got the shape close. I switched to a chisel here for the final slivers because of the sense of control. I'm not worried about taking out a chunk here due to the angle of attack--I'm slicing across fibers, not into them. I'm sure as a surgeon you can appreciate what a sharp tool can accomplish!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt (Post 5815161)
I hope the fingers under those bandages are intact! (4th Photo.)

Thanks for your concern Stan. Those "bandages" are actually masking tape protectors, which give me a reckless confidence working around CA glue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikealpine (Post 5816107)
Looking pretty as the guitar comes together!

Thank you Mike, much appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt (Post 5819474)
Is today just Sunday? Seems like it's been a month since the binding went on. I hope you post pics of the curly mahogany purfling going in - I'm curious how you go about that. I don't imagine it comes in 4 ft. lengths like the binding, does it?

Almost, but not quite. Pics of that step soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 5820911)
Looking MIGHTY FINE indeed.

I Second all the comments on how pretty this is!

Way to go

Paul

Thanks for your enthusiasm Paul, and your continued support.

Steve

nacluth 08-28-2018 03:42 PM

Here’s more pictures of...binding!

It’s a lot of work. So sorry Stan.

Measuring straight lines and making them square.

https://s19.postimg.cc/eks0qs1mb/89_...FE37_F9017.jpg


All bound up.

https://s19.postimg.cc/6f9yslxxv/312..._D39_F29_B.jpg


Pointing up.

https://s19.postimg.cc/dv98ef8sj/2_B..._BC4004_D8.jpg


Trimmed peghead.

https://s19.postimg.cc/mdioiqzvn/DE0...9116_EEF37.jpg


Thanks for looking.

SJ VanSandt 08-28-2018 05:15 PM

Square is good.
 
In places. No Bo Diddley guitars for me! It's looking great - the peghead is squared away nicely! I'm still puzzling over what would work best for the logo. Would the bubinga from the rosette work? Probably not enough contrast. Curly mahogany? Gold pearl?

TuckerRE 08-29-2018 07:35 AM

Gold is good...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt (Post 5821571)
In places. No Bo Diddley guitars for me! It's looking great - the peghead is squared away nicely! I'm still puzzling over what would work best for the logo. Would the bubinga from the rosette work? Probably not enough contrast. Curly mahogany? Gold pearl?

We went with Gold MOP on my most recent. It really is stunning! I think that every time I open the case. Not a bad default in your decision making process.

nacluth 08-29-2018 03:39 PM

Here’s the obligatory leveling shot:

https://s19.postimg.cc/lnhz6jmo3/472...78_BE62_D1.jpg


I like the Gold pearl idea, but we need the fretboard inlay to fit the scheme too. So let’s make sure it all works together. Once the mahogany gets inlaid, I bet we’ll have a better grasp of the whole.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=