The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Question for X10 owners (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547807)

Methos1979 05-26-2019 07:24 AM

Question for X10 owners

Or any Emerald guitar owner that has replaced the bottom strap button: I'm going to replace my X10's strap buttons with locking ones after losing the guitar last week, thankfully to a thick padded and carpeted floor, so no damage. But since this is my gig guitar and I play on hard floors and asphalt parking lots, it's getting strap locks! I know the top button is a bolt/nut as I've replaced those often.

But what about the bottom one? Anyone ever replace just a plain bottom strap button (vs an input jack)? Is that a bolt with cap nut down there as well? I'm worried that I won't be able to get it off after it loosens or it does come off and then the cap nut is rolling around inside! I don't think I can reach in that far due to the electronics inside and the slimline body so I want to find out before I go for it. I'll reach out to Emerald as well but thought maybe someone here might already know.

GuitarLuva 05-26-2019 08:07 AM

I ordered my X20 with no pickup so it came with their normal strap button (the one you mentioned) at both points. I never removed the upper one but I had to remove the lower one to widen the hole for a strap jack. It's the exact same button. I couldn't get my hand all the way in there on the X20 to do it so I had to get creative. I taped a small piece of wood to a crescent wrench and with some trial and error I got it out. If the nut falls just tilt the guitar and it'll slide right down to the sound hole. It's the exact same button so there's no worries there, just getting at it is the problem.

Methos1979 05-27-2019 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuitarLuva (Post 6071017)
I ordered my X20 with no pickup so it came with their normal strap button (the one you mentioned) at both points. I never removed the upper one but I had to remove the lower one to widen the hole for a strap jack. It's the exact same button. I couldn't get my hand all the way in there on the X20 to do it so I had to get creative. I taped a small piece of wood to a crescent wrench and with some trial and error I got it out. If the nut falls just tilt the guitar and it'll slide right down to the sound hole. It's the exact same button so there's no worries there, just getting at it is the problem.

Thanks for this information. Unfortunately, that's what I was afraid of as I'm pretty positive it's the same for my X10. The bottom button looks to be exactly the same as the top. I definitely can't get my hand down there. And with the level 1 pickup system there's a whole lot more going on down in there than a K&K or a lot of other systems so I'm not inclined to try your system of reaching in there blind with some sort of rigged up tool for fear of damaging what I'm sure are delicate electronics.

The battery compartment is on the bottom right next to the strap button but it seems to be likely glued in place since I don't see any external mounting screws. So no access there. I might end up having to just go with some of those thankfully inexpensive rubber disk type strap retainers Although I've never used them. I actually have some laying around here somewhere that came with a guitar, I think.

I did send an email to Emerald so I'll let you know if they come back with anything. They've been a little slow on the return emails as of late often times coming back a full week or so as opposed to almost immediately. They must be getting very busy over there.

GuitarLuva 05-27-2019 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methos1979 (Post 6071600)
Thanks for this information. Unfortunately, that's what I was afraid of as I'm pretty positive it's the same for my X10. The bottom button looks to be exactly the same as the top. I definitely can't get my hand down there. And with the level 1 pickup system there's a whole lot more going on down in there than a K&K or a lot of other systems so I'm not inclined to try your system of reaching in there blind with some sort of rigged up tool for fear of damaging what I'm sure are delicate electronics.

The battery compartment is on the bottom right next to the strap button but it seems to be likely glued in place since I don't see any external mounting screws. So no access there. I might end up having to just go with some of those thankfully inexpensive rubber disk type strap retainers Although I've never used them. I actually have some laying around here somewhere that came with a guitar, I think.

I did send an email to Emerald so I'll let you know if they come back with anything. They've been a little slow on the return emails as of late often times coming back a full week or so as opposed to almost immediately. They must be getting very busy over there.

Yeah, I was lucky in that I had an empty guitar. Still wasn't easy though but it had to come off. It did come off easy once you can get at it. Maybe try a small mirror and a light to see exactly what you're up against.

jwellsy 05-27-2019 08:18 AM

Inquiring minds want to know, what kind of strap locks do you prefer?

Currently, I have a Martin style headstock strap on one side and a Planet Waves CinchFit on the lower bout. I did replace that useless string slide with a spring loaded string stop to help hold those halves together. But, I still don't really trust that Cinch-Fit. It hasn't fallen off, I'm just nervous about it.

Methos1979 05-27-2019 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwellsy (Post 6071731)
Inquiring minds want to know, what kind of strap locks do you prefer?

Good question. I really don't know. I've used the standard Dunlop ones in the past on a guitar I had. They were a PITA to get installed on my thick leather guitar straps. So this time I bought the Schaller S-Locks which takes care of that issue but now it looks like I won't get to use them anyway. Going to return which fine as they were the most expensive at $30 at GC. I did have some of those little rubber washers but they don't work well again due to the thickness of the leather strap. I did a bunch of research on Amazon this morning and these little plastic D'Addario clips might work:

D'Addario Accessories Guitar Strap Locks

Then there is this strap with a built-in locking mechanism which looks slick but the straps are pretty plain and ugly and I like my leather strap:

D'Addario Accessories Auto Lock Guitar Strap (50BAL00)

guitarwebguy 05-27-2019 08:57 PM

You might look at tapastring, I’ve switched all my instruments to this innovative approach. https://www.tapastring.com/strapkeeper0605.htm

jwellsy 05-28-2019 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarwebguy (Post 6072245)
You might look at tapastring, I’ve switched all my instruments to this innovative approach. https://www.tapastring.com/strapkeeper0605.htm

Does that fit an upper bout strap button too?

Danz567 05-28-2019 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarwebguy (Post 6072245)

Thanks for that link. I've been looking for something like that.

Dan

guitarwebguy 05-28-2019 11:37 PM

I’ve had no issues with the upper bout strap button.

GuitarLuva 05-29-2019 09:42 AM

Methos you could also consider sawing it off from the outside with a hacksaw blade or a dremel tool. Sounds like you won't need it anymore afterwards.

Methos1979 05-29-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuitarLuva (Post 6073378)
Methos you could also consider sawing it off from the outside with a hacksaw blade or a dremel tool. Sounds like you won't need it anymore afterwards.

Funny you mention this - I actually thought about this today! But I've ordered a D'Addario strap with a built-in system I'm going to try first and see how that works. Maybe if it works well can somehow cut the mechanism off the cheap cloth strap and affix to my nice leather strap. We'll see. I've got a gig on Saturday so I'm not going to change anything until after that.

Guest 928 05-29-2019 02:52 PM

Methos;

Are you using the 10 as your primary gigging instrument?

Also, I'd be interested in knowing how you compare the 10 with your 20.

I took a look at your review list, wow! You have been through some serious music makers and shared a lot of material on this forum. Thank you.

Methos1979 05-30-2019 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanB (Post 6073598)
Methos;

Are you using the 10 as your primary gigging instrument?

Also, I'd be interested in knowing how you compare the 10 with your 20.

I took a look at your review list, wow! You have been through some serious music makers and shared a lot of material on this forum. Thank you.

Yes, the X10 has become the primary gigging guitar with the X7 as backup. The X20 is up for sale here and on Reverb. In a head-to-head dogfight the X20 is probably still the best guitar of the three for amplified tone and playing. The neck scale and shape is still the best for me. The X10's long scale and wide nut are definitely the 'downsides' to that guitar from a playing comfort standpoint but the small, slimline body and nylon strings are more comfortable for longer playing than the X20. Also the active level 1 pickup system and nylon tone is better suited than the X20's passive K&K for my style of playing. If I was a pick strummer the X20 would be better.

So why does the X20 get the boot over the X7? The X7 is the best of the three played unplugged and is the go-to for travel, not that I travel all that much. But the small size, light weight, short scale and whatnot make this my favorite guitar to just grab off the wall and noodle around with. The X10 is also very light weight and surprisingly nice sounding unplugged. The X20 is very heavy (compared to the other two) and surprisingly sounds the least great of the three unplugged. The fact is that all three guitars bring something to the table over the others. If I could take the very best of the three and meld them into just one guitar it would be the perfect guitar. This can be dangerous because it always makes me think that I could probably do it with just 'one more custom' Emerald, something I'm sure you understand, Evan!

So spitballing here, if I took an X7 (or even an X10 since the bodies are so close in size) as my baseline guitar, make it a 24.6" scale (my current X7 and X20 are just that) and give it the X20's soft V carve (ordered that on the X7 but due to the differences in neck basics between the two models Emerald was unable to duplicate very well), make it a nylon, give it some sort of active system (level 1 is good but honestly something with onboard barn door EQ and notch would be better for me, something like a StagePro Anthem), maybe a slimline body (might be hard with the barn door though) and then factory install some locking strap locks then maybe, just maybe, I'd finally have THE perfect custom Emerald.

But the wild card is you just never really know until it's in your hands and you're playing it. It's easy to theorize but it's just that - theory. You don't know how the recipe is going to taste with all those ingredients until it's in your mouth. And with all those customizations you're easily looking at a $5k guitar. So the risk is huge. I actually came very close to ordering just what I have above and then the X10 came into my life. Is it perfect? No. Is it a great guitar? Absolutely.

Yes, I've been through many guitars and amps and other things and I do really like to take the time and review them here for people because I've gotten so much help from reading others reviews. One thing I've learned (so far, at least for me) is that there is no such thing as the perfect guitar that ticks ALL the boxes perfectly. There is always something missing or that could be better. In the end we make up for those shortcomings by acclimating with our playing style. In all honesty the X20 has probably come the closest to perfect for a gigging guitar for me. So maybe an X20 nylon short scale with an active pickup system would be the end-all, be-all. At some point (and I'm quickly getting there, if not already there) you just have to stop the madness and be happy with what you have.

I have a custom Emerald on the drawing board that I've been going back and forth with Kevin for weeks now and is on hold pending the sale the X20 and even then I'm not sure it will happen. The X10 continues to be a great gigging axe. I've used it for one brunch gig and one open mic so far. The brunch gig was great. The open mic not so much because once again the guy running it could not dial in my tone - hence the desire for an onboard barn door system. So I'll still need to bring my own preamp to get a decent tone for open mics. But through my own equipment, it sounds great. We've got a big outdoor gig this Saturday and I'll be using the X10 through my current set up which is just the guitar and mics through the awesome new EAE StompMix X6 which continues to impress and then into two Bose S1s, one as a monitor and the other blasting out front. I'll report on how it went at some point.

Guest 928 05-30-2019 09:01 AM

I ordered the Barbera active pickup with onboard tone and volume controls for the ultra-thin 7, and have been very happy with it. Alistair had recommended it and I later found that Kirt Sand uses the Barbera in the Mahogany model. If it's good enough for Mr. Sand it's good enough for me.

I've used B-Band, K&K, Shadow, and various other pickups and liked the active Barbera best. It is part of the X10-OSN thin-bodied electric now in process. It's clean and allows me a great deal of control at the guitar.