The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archtops (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Archtop Case (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541935)

ozarkmac 03-22-2019 10:08 PM

Archtop Case

Have searched the Internet, this forum, various music stores, pawn shops, etc and can't locate any used archtop cases. In fact, haven't found a lot of new ones.

Anyone aware of any internet sites that deal in a variety of guitar cases?
I'm not close to any music stores. I get over to St Louis every now and again. (2 1/2 hours). I've contacted the Guitar Centers in St Louis.

Not looking for anything fancy. In fact this guitar won't leave the house, I just want something inexpensive to keep it in and protect it from getting too dry or humid in addition to a dehumidifier in the guitar.

Would a gig bag be sufficient climate protection with a dehumidifier in the guitar?

Spook 03-23-2019 12:06 AM

Would be helpful to know the length and bout width. Also how much you were thinking about spending. There are lots of good choices starting around the $200 mark. Not sure what's out there for less than that. You might also check on the jazz guitar forums for options.

Silly Moustache 03-23-2019 03:45 AM

You know those new Epiphone "pretend" archtops?
They don't sell them with the cases which are sold separately.

I got an Eastman 16" last year in the real heavy fibreglass (?) case.

I ordered an Epiphone case which firs perfectly.

MC5C 03-23-2019 06:20 AM

I got a TKL case a short while ago, around $135 for what I thought was an excellent hardshell case, but not a "travel" case - airline proof. Just car trunk proof :) My 17" archtops fit into an old 17" jumbo flat-top case just fine.

Steve DeRosa 03-23-2019 07:24 AM

Check archtop.com and Elderly - and as Spook said, have the measurements handy when you do...

ozarkmac 03-23-2019 08:58 AM

Guitar Size

Its 41 x 16.5 x 12 x 4. No cutaway. Thanks all. This is just to keep it in. It won't leave the house.

ozarkmac 03-23-2019 08:59 AM

BTW it's 46 Gretsch

ozarkmac 03-23-2019 10:45 AM

And, under $100.

M Hayden 03-23-2019 12:44 PM

I’ll check dimensions of the guitar.

I may have something....

Is it rounder or squarer lower bout?

ozarkmac 03-23-2019 01:12 PM

Round. 41 x 16.5 x 12 x 4

M Hayden 03-24-2019 10:23 AM

The case I have would be a bit snug at the lower bout - it is a shade over 17”, and the foam on the sides would be compressed to 1/4” or so.

That said it is 4” deep (flat face, not arched) and quite long enough.

ozarkmac 03-24-2019 03:25 PM

I appreciate the help. I found one online that was reasonably priced and sufficient for what I need.

ozarkmac 04-02-2019 08:07 AM

Update

The one I found online was misrepresented in terms of interior dimensions. The company whom will remain anonymous quickly sent me a shipping label and will provide full refund. I don't want to slander this otherwise great company.

I was in St Louis over the weekend and was not able to find one under $350. Most were used vintage and they were priced based on their "vintage" properties which I do not need.

I decided to play it as safe as possible through online sources and found one that based on the cited internal dimensions should work. I say "safe" because it is through Walmart. I am having it delivered for free to my local Walmart who will provide a full refund if it doesn't fit.

Didn't even know Walmart carried musical instruments/accessories until it popped up on a Google search. Anyway, I'll update this thread when I receive it. Supposed to arrive on Friday.

mcmars 04-18-2019 09:00 AM

I have same problem, hard to find a case

I cannot find a case for my "new" 30's kalamazoo kg-21. I tried posting here and not even a response. Mine is a unusual size being almost 6" think with the archtop and back and bridge, but only a 14 1/2 lower bout. MY problem is I live in desert and hard to keep it humidified in the old vintage chipboard case that fits it now, having to keep extra sponge humidifiers and replace the bovida pouches often. Let me know if you find a solution?

gerardo1000 04-18-2019 09:08 PM

If the guitar will not leave the house, why not to consider a gig bag ? Most dreadnought gig bags will fit your archtop, and there are some that are very well padded and protective.