The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archtops (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   117 page master's thesis on Freddie Green's style (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450435)

815C 11-23-2016 06:29 AM

117 page master's thesis on Freddie Green's style

I was going to put this in the PLAY section of the forum, but thought it would get more traction here in the ARCHTOP section.

I just found this 117 page master's thesis on Freddie Green's comping style.

It's a good thing to read if you ever plan on playing like Mr. Green.

Steve DeRosa 11-23-2016 08:40 AM

Downloaded a copy for reading at my leisure...

No relation to the good professor, BTW... :guitar:

zombywoof 11-23-2016 09:18 AM

Decades ago I sat down with a pile of Freddy Green LPs to try and figure out what he was doing. I am guessing this thesis would just confuse me as I have probably been doing it all wrong. Probably beats the stuff I used to turn in though like the Impact of the Russian Revolution and Nationalism on Stravinsky.

mr. beaumont 11-23-2016 10:07 PM

It's a bit much, really. The lessons and transcriptions on that site are much more useful.

As is listening to "jazz for playboys" a lot.

The Growler 11-23-2016 11:42 PM

Thanks for the link. Looks interesting.

Frankieabbott 02-10-2017 11:04 AM

It's a great read. Not just for the playing style of Freddie but the history of the musical genre of the time. It's not going to influence my (limited) playing skills.....but I do have a great interest in arch top guitars.

MC5C 02-11-2017 08:09 AM

I have this, and actually read most of it. My biggest takeaway was that FG played in such a way that the combination of bass and guitar created whole chords. The bass player was emphasizing the root and the 5th, and FG emphasized (or just played) the third and the 7th. Between them they got a full sound and didn't step on each others tones.

Kerbie 02-11-2017 08:11 AM

Looks interesting, thanks. I had a Swannanoa Gathering class that featured FG's style, so I'll enjoy reading this.

campusfive 02-22-2017 12:14 AM

That's a thorough piece of work. It's such a shame that although he clearly mentions that Freddie didn't start with one-note voicings, he basically jumps from his first session with Basie in 1937 to 1957, ignoring everything in between. Sorry, all that playing with Jo Jones, Lester Young, et al. wasn't the important stuff...

But that's not 815C's fault, and he's a good egg for sharing. Now the rest of you, do some even MORE important research, buy the recently released album of 1938-1940 Basie airchecks from the Savory Collection. Audible Freddie in many places, and definitely not just one note at time.