The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Fender`s new acoustic model (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305017)

talister106 08-02-2013 08:24 AM

Fender`s new acoustic model

I received my latest issue of Acoustic Guitar yesterday and in the beginning of the issue was a ad of a Fender acoustic guitar new to the market. A few pages later to my surprise it was reviewed. The model is a TPD-1, dreadnaught made with Engelmann spruce and solid mahogany back and sides. It is the creation of Ren Fugerson and Tim Shaw and launches a new era at Fender for acoustic development . With a street price of over three thousand it represents a serious guitar for the players consideration. I will watch with interest to see how Fender will develop their acoustic line with the help of Ren and Tim and of course to find one to play.

Steve DeRosa 08-02-2013 09:24 AM

There's a quartet of them at present:

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargall...Dk2NzIxMyJdfX0

Although Ren and Tim's credentials are beyond reproach IMO this line isn't going to fly, any more than Martin's four (18/28E, F-, GT-, and E- series) ill-fated attempts at breaking into the electric market, especially at the $3K+ asking prices - and for many of the same reasons. Just as CFM IV & Co.'s long-standing reputation for quality is based on its iconic acoustic instruments, Fender's is deservedly based on its arguably standard-of-the-industry bolt-neck electrics: simple, great-sounding, tough as nails, and affordable for Working Joe/Jane Picker; finely made, undoubtedly, but so were the Roger Rossmeisl-designed, rare-as-dinosaur-turds (and equally expensive in their day) LTD archtop and the only slightly less esoteric Montego I and II L-5CES knockoffs. Although the mid-80's D'Aquisto-designed archtops have acquired minor cult status among jazzers, the Fenders are competing in mid-range Martin/Gibson, high-end Guild/Taylor, and small-shop/individual-luthier territory - already a tough market and, quality aside, Fender's name association unfortunately isn't going to be a selling point to this segment. IMO Messrs. Ferguson and Shaw's formidable talents would have been far better-served over at the Guild or Gretsch divisions; there's a thread soliciting interest in a revived F-612, and I'd personally like to see a Rancher reissue with some real tone as well as a competitively-priced Eldorado acoustic archtop...

lmacmil 08-02-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talister106 (Post 3569336)
With a street price of over three thousand it represents a serious guitar for the players consideration.

As the previous poster said, since Fender's reputation was built in the electric market, they will have a difficult time selling $3000 acoustics. Since most buyers, afflicted with varying degrees of GAS, will consider future resale value in the buying equation, paying this much for a Fender acoustic carries a lot more downside risk than spending the same amount on a Martin or Taylor or Gibson (or the big name boutique shops.)

Diamond Dave 08-02-2013 09:39 AM

I disagree. Unless you're name-obsessed or like to "flip" guitars, if they sound good, players will buy them.

I'm not saying they're going to make a significant dent in the big 3 mass manufacturers' sales totals any time soon, but if you build something good, people will come.

stepchildusmc 08-02-2013 09:51 AM

i'm glad fender's finally doing something in this market. i'd love to get my hands on one but i do seriously doubt that i'd plink down my money towards one unless it completely blows me away. i'm sure that not many shops in the 200 mile radius that i shop at will get one anytime soon, it's a big gamble for them unless fender makes them a package offer.

mlr1122 08-02-2013 10:00 AM

Guitar sounds nice on the Acoustic Guitar mag. site. This guitar reminds me of another Ren creation - the Gibson Songwriter. At 3k, there are so many options...

leftycajun 08-02-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talister106 (Post 3569336)
I received my latest issue of Acoustic Guitar yesterday and in the beginning of the issue was a ad of a Fender acoustic guitar new to the market. A few pages later to my surprise it was reviewed. The model is a TPD-1, dreadnaught made with Engelmann spruce and solid mahogany back and sides. It is the creation of Ren Fugerson and Tim Shaw and launches a new era at Fender for acoustic development . With a street price of over three thousand it represents a serious guitar for the players consideration. I will watch with interest to see how Fender will develop their acoustic line with the help of Ren and Tim and of course to find one to play.

And how long have you been working for Fender? ;)

jseth 08-02-2013 10:17 AM

Fender has far too entrenched their position as a maker of cheap, throwaway acoustic guitars... from the get-go, their acoustic line has been nothing more than trying to "cash-in" on the success of their electric gear... and this, from a born and raised in Orange County, there when it was still a "new" idea to buy a Fender electric guitar, man.

I don't care how good they sound and play, at that price point they are going to be dead in the water for at least a few years... too much bad history to overcome, I'm afraid. One thing's for sure; it will surely test their commitment and resolve regarding the desire to build quality acoustic guitars...

I just don't think that this dog is gonna hunt, folks... sorry.

Watasha 08-02-2013 10:29 AM

I have been waiting on this to happen. With the hiring of Ren Ferguson to oversee Guild, it was just a matter of time before Fender got him to build something with their name on it. Fender has also recently opened their Acoustic "Custom Shop" in New Hartford, the guitars being built by the Guild luthiers. I really don't understand why Fender can't/won't accept that the vast majority of players (apart from studio musicians perhaps) have no interest in a high-end acoustic with Fender on the head stock. IMO Fender should stick to Tele's, Strats & basses & leave the high-end acoustics to Guild. Oh well, should be interesting to see how this turns out anyway...

Wuchak 08-02-2013 10:36 AM

The marketing power point that convinced management to fund this would be interesting to see. Must be full of more than the typical amount of marketing BS.

I don't want to see them fail but let's say my money is on this project dying after this run of guitars. They are entering an already crowded market segment with products that don't bring anything new to it. I'm sure they are great sounding and playing guitars but at that price that is to be expected. I don't see what they bring to the table. The only differentiator I see is that it says Fender on the headstock and for acoustics that is a negative not a selling point.

They would be generating lots of positive buzz if they had launched this under Tacoma or Gretsch and incorporated some of the distinctive design elements those brands, which have a great history in acoustics, are well regarded for already.

Perhaps Fender senior management needs an intervention. A workshop where they are made to repeat until it sinks in,"The Fender brand is known for building some of the world's best electric guitars and amplifiers. People don't want it on expensive acoustics and that is ok."

Judson 08-02-2013 10:42 AM

It will probably take a while to become accepted, but the Fender name is huge in the guitar world, just not for acoustics presently.

First they will have to convince some big name acoustic artist (or 2-3) to endorse it ... and not simple "endorse " it, but to use it on stage in in recording.

If big artist X, or Y or Z starts raving about the Fender acoustics, they will take off.

ebick 08-02-2013 10:43 AM

I would certainly not be adverse to trying anything, but I never met a Fender acoustic that I cared for.

Diamond Dave 08-02-2013 11:14 AM

You guys kill me. Used to be, anything labeled "Made in Japan" was junk. Now the Japanese kick our tails when it comes to precision manufacturing. Toyota is the #1 car company in the world. Why? They built better cars and people figured it out.

It took the Japanese a while, but there's no reason why Fender can't do the same.

sabatini 08-02-2013 11:33 AM

There is a lot of complex psychology involved in guitar buying.

Yes, sound is important, but whether we prefer to admit it or not, other factors enter:
  1. What did we grow up loving/wanting?
  2. What did our heros play?
  3. What is cool now?
  4. What image are we striving for?
  5. What are the accepted instruments in our style?
  6. Will our friends be impressed by this brand?
  7. Is the guitar funky, rare, or even unique?
  8. ad infinitum

For some reason, I would be totally comfortable sitting around a campfire playing a Fender acoustic like the $200 one my son used to have. I would be unlikely step in front of an audience with one.

Yamaha is sort of the 'go to' brand under $500. Not so many people will pay $1000 and up for a guitar with the Yamaha name on it, even though its woods, features, quality may make it worth that or more. We start thinking of other brands in that range.

Conversely, it intensely irritates some Martin fans that Martin puts its name on HPL guitars and, in the opinion of some, drags down the special aura attached to Martins.

Like I said, a lot of psychology mixed in with the music. I think $3000 Fender acoustics are unlikely to sell in significant numbers. But I am often wrong.

Watasha 08-02-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave (Post 3569572)
You guys kill me. Used to be, anything labeled "Made in Japan" was junk. Now the Japanese kick our tails when it comes to precision manufacturing. Toyota is the #1 car company in the world. Why? They built better cars and people figured it out.

It took the Japanese a while, but there's no reason why Fender can't do the same.

Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Datsun (Nissan) etc. also didn't have 60 years of history of building a garbage product either. Perception in many cases is reality. Washburn makes a very expensive, very limited U.S. line of acoustics. If one of those guitars is on the wall next to a Martin D28 that Martin is getting sold first, in many cases even if it's a dog.

For the record, American manufacturing in most cases (especially in the auto industry) has caught up with the Japanese. The Japanese actually copied American industry (still so), they just streamlined it. You also forgot another reason why the Japanese cars took off in the U.S.: increased gas mileage & they were much cheaper. I wasn't all about precision manufacturing. ;)

All that said, I wish Fender well.