The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   STOP USING PACKING PEANUTS!!! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613067)

scotchnspeed 04-16-2021 09:05 PM

STOP USING PACKING PEANUTS!!!

Yes, I feel better now.

Carry on...

dwasifar 04-16-2021 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotchnspeed (Post 6692567)
STOP USING PACKING PEANUTS!

NO!
!!!!!!

Deputy289 04-16-2021 09:17 PM

Here, here!

dwasifar 04-16-2021 09:18 PM

Where? Where?

Bob Womack 04-16-2021 09:32 PM

I took delivery of a tube combo amp that was really, really well-packed. The sender removed all the tubes and rolled them in bubble wrap. He wrapped the speaker and then filled the open combo with peanuts. Then he put it in the box and filled the whole box with peanuts.

When I opened the box, accumulated static caused the peanuts to crawl up my arms to my shoulders. I peeled them off and tried again, but the silly peanuts simply adhered and climbed my arms again. It was actually sort of creepy. Finally I thwarted them by rinsing my hands and arms before handling. I had to go back and moisten my hands and arms until I was finished emptying box and amp.

Bob

Tannin 04-16-2021 09:45 PM

Peanuts ain't peanuts. There are two sorts.

One sort is made out of expanded polystyrene foam. It is about as nasty a packing material as you can get. It is made from fossil fuels, it is a greenhouse emitter, you can't compost it, can't recycle it, and there is no way to get rid of the darn stuff. Avoid it like poison. Well, it is poison once it gets into the soil and the waterways. Just say no.

The other sort of peanut is made from vegetable material, usually rice. It is recyclable, compostable, and bio-degradable, and every bit as effective for protecting goods in transit. You can even eat it!

(I don't recommend eating it, it is not prepared with food-grade hygene practices and may or may not contain unwanted additives, but yes, I have tried eating one or two and I'm here to tell the tale.)

chasapple 04-16-2021 11:10 PM

Amen, brother.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwasifar (Post 6692575)
NO!
!!!!!!

Bain 04-16-2021 11:46 PM

Being a stupid Brit what the ell are tou all talking about, peanuts? I eat them mainly salted with a beer 😷

Tannin 04-17-2021 01:24 AM

Also known as flowable packaging beads, Bain. Or packing beans. When you open a box and the item inside has been packed with a whole lot of small, light foamy things to fill up the box instead of (e.g.) foam rubber or folded cardboard, those are packing peanuts. Best not to eat them, not even with salt.

perttime 04-17-2021 02:27 AM

I don't think I've ever experienced "packing peanuts". When I get something potentially fragile shipped, I see bubble wrap, and possibly folded cardboard and crumpled paper for filling extra space.

Bain 04-17-2021 02:45 AM

Ok got it stupid me but I remember we used them back in the 70s out of fashion now , I think it was down to health and safety just in case the got stuck in the throat , not jesting here it was the children that were being protected in case they ate them , we were poor in those days...🤢

Silurian 04-17-2021 02:56 AM

My wife ordered some bath bombs from a well known retailer.

The bombs themselves, admittedly fragile, took up approx 10% of the volume of the box. The other 90% was packing peanuts.

The irony is that the company makes a lot of noise about it's supposedly green credentials and how environmentally benign it's products are.

NormanKliman 04-17-2021 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannin (Post 6692592)
...yes, I have tried eating one or two and I'm here to tell the tale.)

You, sir, are a truly dedicated guitarist! Randy Hickey would be proud to call you his friend, and I think he doesn’t even play guitar. :)

hubcapsc 04-17-2021 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannin (Post 6692646)
Also known as flowable packaging beads, Bain. Or packing beans. When you open a box and the item inside has been packed with a whole lot of small, light foamy things to fill up the box instead of (e.g.) foam rubber or folded cardboard, those are packing peanuts. Best not to eat them, not even with salt.

Ghost turds.

-Mike

xaxinojo 04-17-2021 04:35 AM

This company recycles polystyrene:

https://www.agilyx.com/about-us/faqs