The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Emerald label came loose (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576192)

Blunote 03-25-2020 09:15 PM

Emerald label came loose

I have a 2016 X7 and the label has come loose. I don’t know if this is common, but I would like to reattach it. I’m sure if I ever try to sell it that the buyer would expect there be one there.

I suspect that the texture of carbon fiber weave on the inside of the guitar poses some issues for gluing paper to it.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Did you re-attach the label?

What glue did you use?

kramster 03-26-2020 05:32 AM

Contact Emerald ..they know stuff

https://emeraldguitars.com/get-in-touch/

ac 03-26-2020 05:46 AM

Loose label in a different guitar: used rubber cement--light coat.

mot 03-26-2020 08:13 AM

Mine came off my 2013 X20 in 2015. I plan to put it on again sometime, but haven't got around to it yet. I still have it sitting in the soft case pocket.

Probably my fault for playing the guitar too much.

Simon@Emerald 03-26-2020 09:24 AM

Sorry to hear yours has come loose! We use a contact adhesive, but its very similar to a 3m spray adhesive (super 77 i believe, however im sure a similar spray adhesive would do the trick just as well). The trick is to spray on, wait untill its almost touch dry and add a very light additional coat and then apply to inside your guitar with some firm pressure. Let me know if you need anything else :)

Carmel Cedar 03-26-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunote (Post 6329031)
Has this ever happened to anyone else?

My 2018 X7 also has a 'barely hanging on' label, threatens to fall off every time I notice it. Timely thread, thanks for it!

Guess I need to get some 3M Super 77 Adhesive ($10 for a can at Home Depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-16-75...7-24/100067550) when it's safe to go out again. Hopefully I can think of other uses for the remaining product after reattaching the label with a schpritz or two...

Blunote 03-26-2020 05:52 PM

Emerald label came loose

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon@Emerald (Post 6329372)
Sorry to hear yours has come loose! We use a contact adhesive, but its very similar to a 3m spray adhesive (super 77 i believe, however im sure a similar spray adhesive would do the trick just as well). The trick is to spray on, wait untill its almost touch dry and add a very light additional coat and then apply to inside your guitar with some firm pressure. Let me know if you need anything else :)

Great! I happen to have a can of the 3M Super 77. I’ll give it a try.

tbeltrans 03-26-2020 06:04 PM

Quick! Slap a Taylor label in there and freak people out. First it was V-class and now carbon fiber! Has Andy Powers gone completely out of control? :)

Tony

jdinco 03-26-2020 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbeltrans (Post 6329974)
Quick! Slap a Taylor label in there and freak people out. First it was V-class and now carbon fiber! Has Andy Powers gone completely out of control? :)

Tony

LOL...that's great !!

jwellsy 03-30-2020 10:42 AM

The label in my X10 has lifted half way off. I suspect if I brush against it, it will fall off.

I really don't want to spray an aerosol adhesive inside my guitar and blast everything with overspray.

I wonder if CA would harm the back of the label.

I use a lot of CA. For delicate applications I'll use veterinary syringes that I get at the local farm store. I use a Dremel cutoff wheel to square off the sharp end of the needle. This allows delivering a single drop of CA to hard to reach places without making a mess.

Guest 928 04-02-2020 06:00 PM

I've not had a loose label problem. My problem with Emerald labels is where they're placed in the off-set hole guitars. I suspect the placement would make it difficult to re-attach a loose label but I'm more bothered by the obscurity of the label.

For what it's worth, I think the label should be clearly, and proudly displayed. For my taste, it could be smaller and maybe a bit flashier.

Tahitijack 04-02-2020 06:13 PM

Does it make you wonder what else is wrong with the $$$$$ guitar. Emerald needs to get on this. I've played old Martin guitars with the label firmly attached. My 20 year old Taylor label looks about the same as the day I purchased it two decades ago.

kramster 04-03-2020 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanB (Post 6336799)
I it could be smaller and maybe a bit flashier.

Edgy, Unc....

Dbone 04-03-2020 06:20 AM

Although it’s clearly not the end of the world, Emerald clearly needs to work this out. Most conventional guitars don’t have this kinda problem to contend with even after decades and decades. This really shouldn’t be happening. Again, I know it’s not the end of the world, but still...

David Eastwood 04-03-2020 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwellsy (Post 6333367)
I really don't want to spray an aerosol adhesive inside my guitar and blast everything with overspray

I think you’re meant to spray the back of the label when it’s out of the guitar.