The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   New 00 Woodsman model Hatcher Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526844)

Mark Hatcher 11-25-2018 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaptonWannabe2 (Post 5899462)
All right. Now I am just mad. I am sure you are probably a nice person, but the stories of wood like that just......

If I had a couple beers in me I'd take a swing at you.:D

Um, thanks.
People don’t realize what dangerous work this can sometime be! :)

Mark Hatcher 11-27-2018 10:35 AM

Headstock Overlay

Here is a picture of the headstock overlay:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4861/...8ae8e4b0_b.jpg

It has a swipe of shellac on it to show color and figure.

Thanks for viewing!

Mark

s2y 11-27-2018 10:50 AM

Interesting. Are you going to fill the carved out area with epoxy or keep it like that?

Mark Hatcher 11-27-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2y (Post 5901921)
Interesting. Are you going to fill the carved out area with epoxy or keep it like that?

The cut out area will be filled with part background color and part shadow as I tried to capture in this photo.
Thanks for commenting!
Mark

SJ VanSandt 11-27-2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 5901912)
Here is a picture of the headstock overlay:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4861/...8ae8e4b0_b.jpg

It has a swipe of shellac on it to show color and figure.

Thanks for viewing!

Mark

Magnificent! I love it all, so far. Did you decide to do the neck in mahogany or Spanish cedar?

Mark Hatcher 11-27-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt (Post 5901963)
Magnificent! I love it all, so far. Did you decide to do the neck in mahogany or Spanish cedar?

Thanks SJ VanSandt. I was having a tough time choosing between Mahogany and Spanish Cedar. I have 100yr+ Mahogany but, the really old guitars were made with Spanish Cedar necks. In the end I decided to go with Spanish Cedar because I am also making this a very lightweight guitar and the cedar is substantially lighter. Plus I love the smell of it!
I'm in the market for really old Spanish Cedar. Maybe I can find an old boat up for salvage.

Mark

David Wren 11-27-2018 06:39 PM

Love this thread ... the story about the redwood ... and that peghead overlay ... wow!

islandguitar 11-27-2018 06:46 PM

Just read through this entire thread......amazing wood......the Redwood is sublime! Love it! Your entire approach is so professional, knowledgeable and beautiful, Mark. Congrats on a fabulous build and thanks for taking us along!!
Regards,
Fred

Mark Hatcher 11-28-2018 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Wren (Post 5902274)
Love this thread ... the story about the redwood ... and that peghead overlay ... wow!

Thanks David! I appreciate you joining in!

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandguitar (Post 5902285)
Just read through this entire thread......amazing wood......the Redwood is sublime! Love it! Your entire approach is so professional, knowledgeable and beautiful, Mark. Congrats on a fabulous build and thanks for taking us along!!
Regards,
Fred

Thank you for the kind words Fred! I am passionate about my work and I enjoy sharing what I do and what I’m thinking about in the process. In many ways putting my thoughts together to do posts helps me clarify in my own mind my purpose and intentions.

Thanks again
Mark

Mark Hatcher 11-30-2018 10:12 AM

Neck Assembly

I have the neck fitted to the body and am now gluing on the fretboard and head plate. As I am building this guitar I think about the traditional methods and the tools that were used. Building a vintage style guitar sets the stage for seeing my usual building methods from a different perspective. I'm saying this because when I look at the picture here I'm thinking maybe I should have used wooden cam clamps or spindle clamps like they used to use. But then I think if they had these lightweight clamps that are so easy to adjust the clamping strength with and can be used with only one hand, I'm sure that's what they would have used. Traditional woodworking has always valued using the best tool for the job and these little plastic clamps are just better for this job:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4911/...1cd046bd_b.jpg

ukejon 12-02-2018 05:58 AM

This is all coming together beautifully.

Mark Hatcher 12-02-2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukejon (Post 5906493)
This is all coming together beautifully.

Thanks ukejon, I’ll carve and clean up the neck this week and start putting the finish on this week. There won’t be a sending it away to the finisher pause on this one as I’m doing it entirely in house. I have a new (to me) French Polish method that I believe is great for this guitar. I’ve been testing and practicing it and I feel it holds great promise. This technique aligns perfectly with the vintage nature of the Woodsman.

Thanks again!
Mark

Mark Hatcher 12-03-2018 10:11 AM

First glimpse

I roughed out the neck today. I love the smell of Spanish Cedar so carving and sanding is a pleasure. Actually, doing necks is a pleasure anyway. Out of all the steps involved in making guitar shaping the neck is my favorite:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4820/...2fa40fb1_c.jpg

We're getting a lot closer to how this guitar is going to look in the end:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4870/...f7c01f5c_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4820/...e96f75a3_c.jpg

So this is what it looks like when you reach the halfway mark.

Thanks for following!
Mark

SJ VanSandt 12-03-2018 10:37 AM

Love it - it's very beautiful at this stage. I was wondering if you have decided on the finish you are going to use for this one. Varnish? French polish? Nitro-cellulose finishes go pretty far back into the 20th century, I think, but I think this guitar would look great with a softer, less glassy finish. Just my two cents.

Stan

Mark Hatcher 12-03-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt (Post 5907650)
Love it - it's very beautiful at this stage. I was wondering if you have decided on the finish you are going to use for this one. Varnish? French polish? Nitro-cellulose finishes go pretty far back into the 20th century, I think, but I think this guitar would look great with a softer, less glassy finish. Just my two cents.

Stan

Stan, I absolutely could not agree with you more! I will be French polishing this guitar. I have been doing a great deal of research and testing of French Polish methods and not the modern French polish methods that try to emulate a contemporary finish look. I’ll have a much more to say and show as we get into it this week!
Thanks for following along and for you thoughts.

Mark

Ovation1 12-04-2018 11:04 AM

Love the new headstock.

Mark Hatcher 12-04-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovation1 (Post 5908733)
Love the new headstock.

Thanks Ovation1, It's a really traditional headstock and I think the colors and style will tie in nicely with what I'm doing.

Thanks for commenting!
Mark

Mark Hatcher 12-05-2018 11:13 AM

The Begining of the Finish

I am putting a very thin finish on this guitar. Lot's of things you do to improve the sound of a guitar have very minimal effects. The strategy is that many small things add up. That is not the case with finish. A super lightweight thin finish makes a noticeable difference all by itself. If it's the difference you want, a properly applied finish will get you there.

I'm doing a French Polish finish and I am doing it a lot more like they did in the 1800s. Back then they weren't trying to make a finish look like today's thicker perfect glass finish. The goal was to make a strong beautiful finish that protected the wood and showed it beautifully.

A sealer is used to start the process. This keeps the finish from soaking in too much and prepares a surface the shellac will adhere well to. Like many things in life this all starts with:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4851/...7dcea181_b.jpg

An Egg!

There are a number of parts to an egg. What we're probably most familiar with would be the yoke, which contains a lot of fat and protein, and the protective albumin layers around the yoke which we know as the egg white. The albumin has a thick layer and a thin layer which are both mostly protein and water. The thick layer has some other stuff but, we don't care because it's the thin layer we're after. Here's a picture of an egg in a familiar setting so you can see the yoke, the thick albumin layer, and then the more watery thin albumin layer which I'll be using as the sealer:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4876/...64baf3fb_c.jpg

I have mentioned several times in this thread how there is usually something lost whenever a new technology takes over. When newer chemical sealers became commonly used what was given up in many cases was how well the shellac adheres to it. The newer sealers are heavier and another more subtle difference is the egg sealer does better at keeping end grain from discoloring by making the end grain look overly dark or saturated looking.

Here is a test piece of the Spanish Cedar I am using for the neck with finish on it. The end grain becomes exposed as it makes that curve, Not unlike what happens at the heel of the neck:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4897/...95c187cd_c.jpg

It isn't perfect. If you look straight on at the end grain it does look a little darker because you are looking right down the throat of the hollow wood fibers but, it is overall lighter and the chatoyance of the wood is much stronger on those curves that expose the end grain. French Polishers took great pride in how much they could control the evenness of color on their finished work.

Mark Hatcher 12-07-2018 06:43 AM

Tuners

I've been searching for the best tuners to go with this guitar. I was looking for an older style to go with the vintage look as opposed to the more modern Schertlers and Gotohs I usually use. I decided to go with Waverly tuners. They have a relic finish that would look quite comfortable here but, I am trying to stay away from using anything relic. As I keep saying; "if it looks old it's because it is old." That it should be a matter of design, materials, or technique to achieve a vintage look. I've landed on the nickel finish because that is what you would get if you were buying a guitar in 1855. Waverly has old style little oval Black Ebony buttons and I was able to get the old style tuner bushings to help complete the look:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4826/...8cd09459_c.jpg

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

Mark Hatcher 12-12-2018 10:36 AM

Sealer

I have the sealer on the guitar body now and can show how the colors are working out. Old Redwood and old Black Walnut really come to life when the finish starts going on and I think they go together wonderfully!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4874/...fc473c73_c.jpg

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

jaan 12-12-2018 11:57 AM

It all looks awesome!

Mark Hatcher 12-12-2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaan (Post 5916837)
It all looks awesome!

Thanks jaan! I appreciate you commenting.

Mark

Mark Hatcher 12-13-2018 02:02 PM

French Polish

The best finish for a vintage influenced instrument seems to me to be French Polish. It is the traditional finish for guitars because it is hard, nontoxic, and can be applied very thin. This reduces weight and allows for a very responsive guitar. It doesn't blush or break down from UV exposure. It has a reputation for not wearing well and becoming sticky under various conditions. In my view this reputation for poor wear and stickiness comes from attempts to make French Polish look like a contemporary synthetic finish. Since we're going with a more traditional look we don't need to be burdened with compromises made to look synthetic.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4847/...a4ab41fb_c.jpg

This picture shows the flakes of shellac that are dissolved in alcohol. On the left is what we commonly see today which is a heavily processed flake that has been bleached to a "very light blond" so that it looks more contemporary. Problem is this weakens the finish and makes it softer and more likely to go sticky under a sweaty hand. I'm using unbleached shellac flake that you see on the right which was commonly in the 1800's. As I said earlier the finish is going on thin so that dark look will be minimized and any darker cast it might add will look great on an old looking instrument.

I use grain alcohol because it works great and is far less toxic than denatured alcohol. This is what the shellac is dissolved in for application (no I don't drink that stuff!) The little jar is where I keep the cotton and wool applicator I use for application.

Zandit75 12-13-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 5918065)
The best finish for a vintage influenced instrument seems to me to be French Polish. It is the traditional finish for guitars because it is hard, nontoxic, and can be applied very thin. This reduces weight and allows for a very responsive guitar. It doesn't blush or break down from UV exposure. It has a reputation for not wearing well and becoming sticky under various conditions. In my view this reputation for poor wear and stickiness comes from attempts to make French Polish look like a contemporary synthetic finish. Since we're going with a more traditional look we don't need to be burdened with compromises made to look synthetic.

This picture shows the flakes of shellac that are dissolved in alcohol. On the left is what we commonly see today which is a heavily processed flake that has been bleached to a "very light blond" so that it looks more contemporary. Problem is this weakens the finish and makes it softer and more likely to go sticky under a sweaty hand. I'm using unbleached shellac flake that you see on the right which was commonly in the 1800's. As I said earlier the finish is going on thin so that dark look will be minimized and any darker cast it might add will look great on an old looking instrument.

I use grain alcohol because it works great and is far less toxic than denatured alcohol. This is what the shellac is dissolved in for application (no I don't drink that stuff!) The little jar is where I keep the cotton and wool applicator I use for application.

Really looking forward to seeing how this comes out. My grandfather was a professional french polisher, well known around our area for the work he did.
This is looking great Mark.

TomB'sox 12-13-2018 03:41 PM

Well if it doesn't work out it kinda looks like a great party could be had??? Glitter and Everclear.

SJ VanSandt 12-13-2018 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 5918065)

I had no idea - that is extremely cool. Can't wait to see how it comes out under finish. And still at your base price? I am loving this whole project more and more all the time.

nootis 12-14-2018 01:52 AM

New 00 Woodsman model Hatcher Guitars

This is all very interesting Mark. I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

From now on, I’ll forever think about guitars when frying eggs. Thanks!!!

Deft Tungsman 12-14-2018 02:59 AM

Thanks for sharing, Mark. Your work is beautiful, and your threads are very informative.

Everclear and glitter, indeed! :roll:

Mark Hatcher 12-14-2018 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zandit75 (Post 5918134)
Really looking forward to seeing how this comes out. My grandfather was a professional french polisher, well known around our area for the work he did.
This is looking great Mark.

From what I see French Polish started being used in the 16th century. Musical instruments were French Polished right from the start. However, it didn’t really start in America until the middle of the 1800s. The shellac comes from India and Taiwan so maybe, it’s use started a bit earlier where you are?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 5918163)
Well if it doesn't work out it kinda looks like a great party could be had??? Glitter and Everclear.

:) Well, there is that. I hadn’t thought of those flakes as glitter before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt (Post 5918408)
I had no idea - that is extremely cool. Can't wait to see how it comes out under finish. And still at your base price? I am loving this whole project more and more all the time.

Thanks Stan, I have done a lot of French Polish over the years, especially on my early work. This is the first time I’m going with some of these older methods though. I have all these little test pieces of shellaced wood in the shop and am pretty confident of the look, feel, and durability.
Yeah, I can keep my base price. Actually, I am spending a lot more time researching, practicing, testing and doing set up than I am actually building this guitar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nootis (Post 5918511)
This is all very interesting Mark. I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
From now on, I’ll forever think about guitars when frying eggs. Thanks!!!

Thanks for following along nootis. It does seem odd today to use a dairy product for finishing wood. It reminds me of the milk paint they used to use too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman (Post 5918527)
Thanks for sharing, Mark. Your work is beautiful, and your threads are very informative.

Everclear and glitter, indeed! :roll:

Thanks for commenting! This build feels to me like a bit of an expedition into the past. It’s the kind of thing that keeps guitar building an adventure!

Guitars44me 12-14-2018 10:15 AM

Very INTERESTING

This axe will be UBER COOL

Very informative thread, Mark! Thanks!!!

Cheers

Paul