The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   McKnight Guitars are coo-coo for Coco (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528049)

Tim McKnight 11-13-2018 07:37 AM

McKnight Guitars are coo-coo for Coco
 
We just started a new build for a client and thought we would share a few pictures. The back and sides are the most outrageous set of Cocobolo that we've ever built with to date. Its pretty much got it all ... quartersawn, wavy figure, sapwood, landscape, black ink lines and an odd wavy "skunk stripe" of lighter colored wood, which isn't sapwood, so I am not sure what to call it?
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/bG...=w1178-h883-no




https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Iq...=w1178-h883-no







It will be paired with a Torrified Red Spruce top:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/cu...=w1178-h883-no






Stay tuned for more pics in the coming days and thanks for following along...

coopman 11-13-2018 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim McKnight (Post 5888766)
... quartersawn, wavy figure, sapwood, landscape, black ink lines and an odd wavy "skunk stripe" of lighter colored wood, which isn't sapwood, so I am not sure what to call it?
...

Tim - in wines it would be a varietal blend :D Looks like great combo!

John

Tim McKnight 11-13-2018 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coopman (Post 5888772)
Tim - in wines it would be a varietal blend :D Looks like great combo!

John

Thanks John, I value your input!

nacluth 11-13-2018 08:09 AM

Something about it reminds me of springbok or some other African antelope.

https://i.postimg.cc/1tNrfKyJ/E1-E15...AB0-B24-E2.jpg

Really cool set Tim.

Erithon 11-13-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim McKnight (Post 5888766)
an odd wavy "skunk stripe" of lighter colored wood, which isn't sapwood, so I am not sure what to call it?

I can confirm that "skunk stripe" is the technical term.

David Wren 11-13-2018 08:58 AM

Looks like it's going to be another wonderful McKnight guitar ... love the Coco!

Tim McKnight 11-14-2018 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erithon (Post 5888803)
I can confirm that "skunk stripe" is the technical term.

Hi Erithon,

Here I'm "Spritzing" the sides with water before bending them. Since I'm a little coo-coo please confirm that "spritzing" is another technical term :roll:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/6P...U=w663-h883-no

Tim McKnight 11-14-2018 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nacluth (Post 5888787)
Something about it reminds me of springbok or some other African antelope.

https://i.postimg.cc/1tNrfKyJ/E1-E15...AB0-B24-E2.jpg

Really cool set Tim.

That's too funny Ryan ;)

Tim McKnight 11-14-2018 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Wren (Post 5888828)
Looks like it's going to be another wonderful McKnight guitar ... love the Coco!

Thanks David. Missed you at Woodstock. Hope to see you at another show soon.

Mary 11-14-2018 08:50 AM

Oh give me a home
where the buffalo roam
where the deer and the antelope play.


This reminds me that Adrianne and I saw bison the other day in our neck of the woods!

Erithon 11-14-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim McKnight (Post 5889771)
Hi Erithon,

Here I'm "Spritzing" the sides with water before bending them. Since I'm a little coo-coo please confirm that "spritzing" is another technical term :roll:

Confirmed! Lutherie has a long and noble tradition of spritzing, dating back to to the heyday of Markneukirchen. From the German spritzen ("to squirt or spray"), the English "spritz" is an essential step in side-bending--one practiced by apprentice and master alike :)

David Wren 11-14-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim McKnight (Post 5889779)
Thanks David. Missed you at Woodstock. Hope to see you at another show soon.

Hey Tim ... Deb and I almost went to Woodstock, just to hang with everyone and see Linda get her award. I haven't done shows in years ... I think the last one was one of the Montreal shows where we met. I'm booked solid, so it doesn't make much sense to display at shows any more. It'd be fun to hang out though!

j. Kinnaird 11-14-2018 10:36 AM

that is so mighty fine coco. It's got the entire coco pallet and you are right about the spring bock

Mary 11-14-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Wren (Post 5889924)
Hey Tim ... Deb and I almost went to Woodstock, just to hang with everyone and see Linda get her award. ... It'd be fun to hang out though!

We would have enjoyed seeing you there. You could have sat with us at the dinner for Linda. It's good to be busy though!

cigarfan 11-15-2018 04:58 AM

And here I thought this thread was going to be about my favorite breakfast cereal ... KooKoo for Coco Puffs!

Really nice set of Cocobolo there Tim. Gonna be purdy!

Tim McKnight 11-15-2018 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cigarfan (Post 5890577)
And here I thought this thread was going to be about my favorite breakfast cereal ... KooKoo for Coco Puffs!

Really nice set of Cocobolo there Tim. Gonna be purdy!

I knew someone would get it ;)

Laying out the back braces:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Iz...=w1178-h883-no







All the braces get Hot Hide Glue:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/l4...=w1178-h883-no









https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/mr...M=w663-h883-no







Where's Waldo?
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/M5...=w1178-h883-no

Mary 11-15-2018 10:33 AM

Oh - that might need to be our 2019 McJam theme. LOL

jaymarsch 11-15-2018 03:27 PM

Oooh! I love cocobolo. This one will be fun to see and hear once it gets adorned with strings. But first Tim has to perform his magic. ;)

Best,
Jayne

Guitars44me 11-15-2018 08:42 PM

Coocoo indeed....
 
This will be a beauty for sure! What a set of coco!!!!

Woohoo

Have fun

Paul

pandaroo 11-15-2018 09:24 PM

Is this build going to be a MacNaught?

Tim McKnight 11-16-2018 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandaroo (Post 5891371)
Is this build going to be a MacNaught?

As a matter of fact it is going to be a MacNaught.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/eT...=w1178-h883-no









https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/H1...=w1178-h883-no









https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/4w...=w1178-h883-no

Tim McKnight 11-16-2018 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymarsch (Post 5891078)
Oooh! I love cocobolo. This one will be fun to see and hear once it gets adorned with strings. But first Tim has to perform his magic. ;)

Best,
Jayne

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 5891328)
This will be a beauty for sure! What a set of coco!!!!

Woohoo

Have fun

Paul


Thanks Jane and Paul for the kind words.

mikealpine 11-16-2018 07:41 AM

That is a beautiful back/side set! I've never been drawn to Cocobolo for sound, but I have a feeling it'll be different under your hands, Tim.

Godfather 11-16-2018 08:01 AM

What an amazing set of Coco...that combined with Tim's "McMagic", this is going to be one FANTASTIC guitar!

difalkner 11-16-2018 08:05 AM

That's got to be the most amazing Cocobolo set I've ever seen! I wonder what the tree looked like?

Can't wait to see it finished and hear the sound.

David

Mary 11-16-2018 09:00 AM

Tim and I just listened to your You Tube. Oh my ... wonderful music.

Something is in my eye now. I can't see.

zeebow 11-16-2018 01:59 PM

wow, that is a gorgeous piece of coco!!

Nemoman 11-16-2018 04:47 PM

Coco is becoming one of my favorite woods--and that is surely an amazing set!

Tim McKnight 11-17-2018 07:08 AM

Here are a few more coo-coo Coco shots before heading out to the shop:




Tracing the MacNaught body outline on the Red Spruce Adi top:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-N...4=w663-h883-no









Someday this will be a slightly larger sound hole:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Ok...=w1178-h883-no









Sometimes it gets a bit messy...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/7S...=w1178-h883-no










Before it starts to resemble a rosette. In this case our client wants to go "Old School" on his design theme:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/t1...=w1178-h883-no

Mary 11-17-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemoman (Post 5892125)
Coco is becoming one of my favorite woods--and that is surely an amazing set!

It's nice to see I am not the only one who names my guitars. :D


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=