The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Non-denominational "spiritual" songs (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512251)

rmoretti49 05-31-2018 01:43 PM

Non-denominational "spiritual" songs

I am looking for titles to some popular songs that fit the description of the title of this thread. One excellent example of the type of song I am seeking is Van Morrison's "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You."

Remember, I am seeking music that is in the popular realm.

Thanks.

Wyllys 05-31-2018 02:02 PM

That Van Morrison song as written by Scotty Wiseman in 1945.

I suggest you do a YouTube search for something like:

Classic popular love songs

Great country love songs

or perhaps by decade:

Love songs of the 1920's

1930's

WWII

1950's

Then you could search by Artist:

Ray Charles

Nat King Cole

Billy Holiday

Patti Page

Hank Williams

Jimmy Rodgers

There are thousands of such numbers out there. Once you find a few, the dam will burst.

Good luck, have fun.

JonPR 05-31-2018 04:25 PM

Maybe you need to explain what you find "spiritual" about that song. I.e., what makes it different from all the other love ballads out there?

Sure it's not just Van Morrison's gospel-influenced vocal style?

mattbn73 05-31-2018 06:38 PM

U2 has a lot of generally spiritual but somewhat ambiguous themes in their music.

KarenB 05-31-2018 09:03 PM

What do you want to do with those titles?

Denny B 05-31-2018 09:47 PM

I think a perfect example of non-denominational "spiritual" songs is Bobby Bare's "Dropkick Me Jesus (Through The Goalposts Of Life)" ...:up:

rmoretti49 05-31-2018 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonPR (Post 5744238)
Maybe you need to explain what you find "spiritual" about that song. I.e., what makes it different from all the other love ballads out there?

Sure it's not just Van Morrison's gospel-influenced vocal style?

My understanding is that it isn't an ordinary love song, but a song about love of God. The bridge makes that especially clear, I believe.

rmoretti49 06-01-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyllys (Post 5744120)
That Van Morrison song as written by Scotty Wiseman in 1945.

I suggest you do a YouTube search for something like:

Classic popular love songs

Great country love songs

or perhaps by decade:

Love songs of the 1920's

1930's

WWII

1950's

Then you could search by Artist:

Ray Charles

Nat King Cole

Billy Holiday

Patti Page

Hank Williams

Jimmy Rodgers

There are thousands of such numbers out there. Once you find a few, the dam will burst.

Good luck, have fun.

Are we thinking of two different songs? I checked the sheet music, and "Have I Told You Lately" has music and lyrics copywrite by Van Morrison.

mattbn73 06-01-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmoretti49 (Post 5744536)
My understanding is that it isn't an ordinary love song, but a song about love of God. The bridge makes that especially clear, I believe.

Yeah. VM's music from that time and after is more spiritual. Trying to keep within forum guidelines, I'll just say that there is a philosophical shift around time which is probably more obvious if you share the same perspective. But, yes, more spiritual generally.

rmoretti49 06-01-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antaren (Post 5744461)
What do you want to do with those titles?

Learn some of the ones I might like.

jstroop 06-01-2018 02:29 PM

I’m not sure what you’re looking for, exactly, but in the “spirit” of helpfulness, I really like Dailey & Vincent’s version of Gillian Anderson’s “By The Mark.” It is a Christian but non-denominational, old-style gospel song with an amazing harmony line. I do like this song.

http://youtu.be/Dw-uklIlQE0

Guitar Slim II 06-03-2018 11:41 PM

He's certainly not a non-denominational dude, but Cat Stevens early albums have a lot of spiritually uplifting songs -- "Peace Train", "Morning Has Broken" etc. -- that make no reference to specific faiths or religious founders.

Then there's John Lennon's "Imagine": a highly spiritual song that is also highly anti religion.

Maybe some George Harrison tunes? Although grounded in Hinduism, George's spiritual musings on albums like All Things Must Pass and Living in the Material World are pretty broad and general. I'd say they qualify as non-denominational.

Mr. Paul 06-04-2018 04:02 AM

Bruce Cockburn

All The Diamonds
Lord of The Starfields

KevWind 06-04-2018 10:57 AM

I am not religious but this song has been in my set list forever and is always a crowd pleaser . And it makes a great acoustic guitar song

Curtis Mayfield - People Get Ready

Same thing with this song Precious Memories by JJ Cale

Joscefi78 06-04-2018 01:43 PM

the song "high hopes" is a modern spiritual