The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Musical Instruments (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Paul Beard Acoustic Round Neck Resonator Questions? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621662)

L20A 07-24-2021 01:14 PM

Paul Beard Acoustic Round Neck Resonator Questions?

Any input on these guitars?

I'm looking at purchasing one and see that they offer one with Mahogany body and Rosewood fretboard and an upgrade model with Maple body and Ebony fret board.

Is the upgrade model worth the price difference?

FatOrange03 07-24-2021 03:52 PM

Hello,

Not sure which model you are looking at. I have a vintage R right now which is birch but I owned an Odyssey in the past which was all maple. I have played a mahogany version as well. I can tell you the quality of Beard reso guitars is outstanding and I don't think you can go wrong. I have not played a decophonic. The one thing I really liked about the Odyssey is it is a 14 fret. the R is a 12 fret and I prefer the 14 fret for slide.

Rogerblair 07-24-2021 04:32 PM

All I have is the Gold Tone Beard model…mahogany. It’s imported with a Beard spider and cone fitted here in the states. Even this budget model absolutely blows me away with its tone. Wow.

Not what you were asking, but I had to comment. 😆

Rb

Mandobart 07-24-2021 04:43 PM

I bought the Gold Tone Paul Beard round neck spider cone wood body resonator guitar, with the upgrade maple body version last September. I worked directly with Gold Tone. I didn't have a chance to play any models prior, so I can't say if the upgrade is "worth it" as compared to the base model. I got the guitar, with passive pickup and hardshell case shipped to my house setup to my specs for about $950 US.

I'm very happy with the tone, playability, setup and service from Gold Tone. I would definitely buy it again. It's often the instrument I reach for first when I play. I would expect an actual Paul Beard guitar would be even better.

L20A 07-24-2021 04:49 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I have played the standard model and really liked it.
I was about to pull the plug on one, when I saw the upgrade Maple model.
Now I'm not sure which one to order.
Leaning toward the Maple one though.

I play Rhythm style with my current Reso in a band.
It's a Flinthill and I have almost wore it out.
Time to upgrade.

Mycroft 07-24-2021 09:09 PM

I've not compared the round necks, but have played both Mahogany and Maple bodied Beard Squareneck resos. My sense was that the the Maple was a bit more midrangy and punchy, while the Mahogany one was darker and not quite as projective. I liked the Mahogany better (solo player), but the Maple might suit a band context better.

OMMV

mcmars 07-24-2021 11:58 PM

For a band I would go maple for bit more bright and louder tone to cut through the mix and ebony fretboards are so fast, smooth and wonderful. I was lucky to buy a rebuilt used RFB from Beard a few years back. It is biscuit design with the finish birch laminate. Most of the sound is from the reso itself really, but the wood does matter. I love the fishman nashville PU, really nice plugged in sound. Thinking you are looking at a spider cone design?

L20A 07-31-2021 07:23 PM

I tried to get a Maple Beard but they are not to be found right now. I did find a few places that had a Mahogany one in stock. Placed an offer on two of them and got a good price from one of the Reverb vendors.

Just got the guitar delivered yesterday.
Sounds great but the action is very high and intonation is awful.
Can't use a capo at all without the need to retune.

It goes to my Tech for a set up and a bone saddle next week.
He did magic on my old Reso so I expect great things on my new Beard Gold Tone.