The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Non commercial review of a nylon 'hog. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521132)

mr sid 09-07-2018 06:29 PM

Non commercial review of a nylon 'hog.

I like to(try to) play Jerry Reed/Buster B Jones type nylon finger style guitar.I have many nylon string guitars and am happy enough with the ones I've kept-the older I get the less I'm drawn to the sound of steel and wood ;for me gut/nylon is special ! I was in a local shop buying strings when I saw an unusual guitar hanging on the wall and was surprised when I couldn't quite put my finger on why I didn't want to put it down. The staff told me it had a cedar front-wrong-but the sound was certainly like nothing else I'd heard. It's certainly got a unique tone which can sound almost contradictory to explain.The bass is rich, mids are strong and trebles are almost metallic. It's capable of sounding either trebly or bassy ,pianistic or banjo like. There is a big bold 'definite' sound both for chords and single note lines and it's great for fingerstyle too.If you hit a chord or play single notes hard, it doesn't crap out and go mushy on you, which might have something to do with the tension/density of the top. If you want to play something aggressive and bouncy,you have to dig in, but it gives back whatever you put in-you don't feel like you're wasting your energy.I often find myself hankering for a soundport when playing acoustically, to get the most from the sound when playing alone. Doesn't happen with this guitar-even though mahogany is supposed to be a dense wood, it vibrates like crazy when you are playing it-more than you might think.It's easy to think this guitar is unresponsive/has a slow response when in fact it is responsive ;you simply have to adjust your expectations and keep an open mind....a bit like as if you had started playing Dobro or six string banjo.Although the neck is wider than the average steel six, it's still close enough to a classical neck to minimize adjustment.....but it's narrow enough that you might just manage to hook your thumb around the neck to stop a bass string(handy!) if you wish.
The electrics are nothing special(I've read complaints elsewhere on the net) but then,I'm not yearning to rip them out and put in something more upmarket-it basically sounds like'my guitar,but a bit louder'.No,I haven't tested it at high volume,but it doesn't seem to be that important-right now it feels satisfying enough to simply play acoustic.
I've often read other players raving online about mahogany steels.It never crossed my mind to investigate a mahogany nylon, but I'm very glad Cordoba has ! As I said, it's quite an odd guitar.The only thing I ask of my guitars is that they play in tune and have plenty of character. Another oddity is that even on medium gauge strings it feels like you are playing cables( I use the same gauges on most of my guitars.The difference in left hand feel is tangible).Having said that, it's not uncomfortable, oddly enough.The finish is totally eggshell which I like, because it's usually coated thinner.I'm looking forward to shining it up with wear and tear. The back and sides are ply, which I'm also happy about ; it adds strength and stabillity. I'd recommend this to any serious player who wants something durable with lots of character.I'd also recommend trying it out in person ; I suspect it's going to divide the opinions of those who try it out.Many could well think it's a dog, others might be like me.Not everyone likes the sound of Danelectros. I wish the internal struts were thin and high, but otherwise, the workmanship on my guitar looks very clean. A luthier might say it was overbuilt, but then, weren't Old Gibson acoustics?
This guitar is ideal for electric country nylon -Chet,Jerry,Buster,Brooks and Mr Smith, or African/Malagasy type playing.Maybe even Flamenco and/or pianistic classical-at a stretch. Check it out, it's unique - and cheap !

mr sid 09-07-2018 06:47 PM

What a thing to forget !

it's a Cordoba C4-CE

ceciltguitar 09-08-2018 08:14 PM

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/c4-ce/

$329.00 street.

pretty looking guitar.

Cordoba guitars are widely regarded one of the best bang-for-the-buck guitars.

Thank you for sharing your review, mr sid!

mr sid 09-09-2018 08:05 PM

You're welcome ! As I think I said ; the main reason for posting this was,It's a unique idea that somehow works on it's own level,therefore worth considering for someone who plays a lot/is feeling burnt out. If I'd just gotten a run of the mill 'good' guitar I wouldn't have posted. :D