The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   CA 12 Spotted from 9 1/2 feet away ..And Other CA Stuff (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581802)

kramster 05-20-2020 03:12 PM

CA 12 Spotted from 9 1/2 feet away ..And Other CA Stuff

First one McNichol sold back in the day..Lee Benson... as seen from a camera phone ,,,BIG back patio area .

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8957803d_c.jpg

tbeltrans 05-20-2020 03:20 PM

Yessir! That could be a collector's item now.

Tony

kramster 05-20-2020 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbeltrans (Post 6386698)
Yessir! That could be a collector's item now.

Tony

Indeed it should be

David Eastwood 05-20-2020 05:25 PM

I wonder where that thumper is now?

Wherever, it's probably still in tune.

tbeltrans 05-20-2020 05:34 PM

That sound hole doesn't look right to me. It slipped off to the side. That happened on several of my guitars too.

Kids these days...can't they even make a guitar the right way anymore? :)

Talk about labels falling off, what about the sound hole?!?!?!

Tony

jdinco 05-20-2020 07:29 PM

Is that a recent photo Kramster? How did it sound? Cool looker.

kramster 05-20-2020 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdinaz (Post 6386931)
Is that a recent photo Kramster? How did it sound? Cool looker.

This very AM it twas and sounds right fine... he started on his first CA..a 5i and I played his Taylor 900 something (Yikes what a wood guitar guitar it is!!) Then he brought out the 12er and played awhile ... in the background out of photo and to the right there was like 15 guys finishing up the outside of his new 3300 sq ft music building so it will match his house... nice!!

David Eastwood 05-21-2020 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatswodo (Post 6386841)
I wonder where that thumper is now?

Wherever, it's probably still in tune.

Never mind. I see it’s a current photo.

Nice looking guitar - I’d love to hear it!

tbeltrans 05-21-2020 07:15 AM

It is a real shame that CA Guitars didn't survive. I think they had a very good idea that further development would have made them a real market force. The carbon fiber products from various makers are developing very nicely, but if CA Guitars had still been among the pack, that would have only positive influence on the good already happening.

Tony

benderman57 05-21-2020 07:22 AM

I owned one exactly like that one about 5 years ago only it was Red. It was rare even back then. It was a nice guitar but the nut width was pretty small and crowded for a 12 string. I'm sure some with small hands might like that better but my Emerald 12 string is a much better sounding & playing guitar.

Earl49 05-21-2020 08:52 AM

Collectable indeed.....I have only ever seen two of these in the wild. Once at Kramster's house and once at the 2010 NAMM show, shortly before CA shut down. In my desire to convert over fully to CF and get out of the humidifying game, I then chose an Emerald X20-12 - the only thing currently on the market. The Emeralds have worked out fabulously well.

Steve Christens 05-23-2020 12:25 PM

I've only ever seen one CA 12, and that was about 10 years ago when Arlo Guthrie stopped by the Twin Cities for a concert. Sure looked out of place (with its blue finish) on stage next to Arlo's other beautiful wood guitars, but it sounded great. He even commented on how "powerful" he thought it was.

GuitarLuva 05-25-2020 08:17 AM

Sad news for CA

Instead of starting a new thread I will post this here. There's been some discussion about the current status of CA guitars and what the future might hold. I reached out to a 3rd party company a few weeks ago who used to carry CA guitars and they contacted Peavey on my behalf and here's the unfortunate reply:

"I have finally received an update from Peavey and unfortunately they are no longer offering CA composite acoustic models."

It's a brief reply with not much detail but it looks like the chance of them returning are pretty slim.

tbeltrans 05-25-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuitarLuva (Post 6391538)
Instead of starting a new thread I will post this here. There's been some discussion about the current status of CA guitars and what the future might hold. I reached out to a 3rd party company a few weeks ago who used to carry CA guitars and they contacted Peavey on my behalf and here's the unfortunate reply:

"I have finally received an update from Peavey and unfortunately they are no longer offering CA composite acoustic models."

It's a brief reply with not much detail but it looks like the chance of them returning are pretty slim.

Well, then, I am definitely hanging onto my three pre-Peavey Cargos! I am sure glad that I was able to get replacement GOTOH 510 mini tuner sets (which CA Guitars used on all my Cargos - the Hipshots came later), bridge pins, nuts, and saddles. I just had a feeling back then that this was too good to last.

Tony

jdinco 05-25-2020 10:06 AM

Be nice to see someone buy CA from Peavey, but I imagine the chances are slim to none. Sorry to read that bit of news.