The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   My tunes are like paintings.... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533791)

TBman 01-06-2019 03:48 PM

My tunes are like paintings....

Some days I draw straighter than others. Writing music for me is relaxing, challenging and entertaining. How about you? What motivates you to compose?

Gitfiddlemann 01-06-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 5940265)
Writing music for me is relaxing, challenging and entertaining.

Those are 3 big positives. Keep on painting! :)

DukeX 01-06-2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 5940265)
How about you? What motivates you to compose?

I write, (compose, create, etc.) simply because I cannot not write (compose, create, etc.). This isn't an original thought; I learned the gist of it in a writer's magazine back in the early 80's, and it described me in a nutshell, fit me like a glove, turned on a light, gave me an identity. :D

So I don't really need motivation or goals, I just do it 'cause I can't help myself. But...yes, all of the things you mentioned are part of it.

islandguitar 01-07-2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeX (Post 5940577)
I write, (compose, create, etc.) simply because I cannot not write (compose, create, etc.). This isn't an original thought; I learned the gist of it in a writer's magazine back in the early 80's, and it described me in a nutshell, fit me like a glove, turned on a light, gave me an identity. :D

So I don't really need motivation or goals, I just do it 'cause I can't help myself. But...yes, all of the things you mentioned are part of it.

^^^^
I resemble this!! :D The only thing I'd add is that if I'm into some project ( CD, or perhaps playing out (rare), prep for this brings its own energy over and above the usual directions.
I like the painting analogy, Barry! One AGF member here described my offerings as "like little "poems" and I've taken that into my grab bag of motivators as I continue on.

gwlee7 01-07-2019 08:01 PM

I like writing songs. I have have a friend that I compose with and we having been writing songs together since the 1980s. Some are bad. Some are good. But, everyone of them have been fun. Getting lost in the music side of the process is what btings me the most peace.

Guitars+gems 01-08-2019 01:54 PM

Probably not worthy of the word "composing" but I'll just be playing around and hit something that sounds nice, and then I'll trip with it for awhile, trying different chords and notes along side of it. Sometimes a lyric even comes to me.

The inspiring part comes from the fact that I don't feel like a total guitar loser when I manage to come up with something that I think sounds good. So then I'm inspired to keep playing!:)