The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   New 00 Woodsman model Hatcher Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526844)

Mark Hatcher 11-01-2018 12:36 PM

New 00 Woodsman model Hatcher Guitars
 
I've started working on my newest model today that I'm calling the "Woodsman" It will be a deep bodied 14 fret 00:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1957/...529c8926_h.jpg

It will be heavily influenced by vintage guitars as you can probably tell by the drawing. If you have been following my build threads you probably know I like to build from a theme. A theme has goals, there is a continuity to the elements, and there are rules.
So here is my list:
It will not be reliced.
It will look old because of the design, methods, and the materials are old.
Mostly 100+ years old woods.
I'm making the case for it.
I'm shooting for it to be very light at 6lbs
Doesn't sound light? That's including the case!

ross748 11-01-2018 12:56 PM

Liking this Mark. Congratulations.

Erithon 11-01-2018 04:12 PM

Exciting! I like the stag on the headstock. Is that a some new Hatcher branding? Will it be limited to the Woodsman series?

In keeping with the vintage inspiration and design, will you voice it to sound in the tradition, Martin-esque vein? Or will it have more of the signature Hatcher voice?

Guitars44me 11-01-2018 04:44 PM

Six pounds with the case???
 
Holy Moley, is the instrument filled with helium? If so will it affect the sound?

Haha. Nice! But I would vote for a slotted headstock option...

This will be VERY fun to watch happen.

Carry on and have FUN

Paul

Mark Hatcher 11-01-2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ross748 (Post 5878568)
Liking this Mark. Congratulations.

Thanks ross748!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erithon (Post 5878751)
Exciting! I like the stag on the headstock. Is that a some new Hatcher branding? Will it be limited to the Woodsman series?

In keeping with the vintage inspiration and design, will you voice it to sound in the tradition, Martin-esque vein? Or will it have more of the signature Hatcher voice?

I thought a stag would be an appropriate design for what I am going for here. Like a sticker you might see on a hunter's old pick-up truck. I'd like it to be a default design on this model.

I am going for more of a vintage leaning voice. It will even have ladder braces on the back which will influence that. However, to some extent there is really no getting away from me making a guitar with a Hatcher's voice.

Mark Hatcher 11-01-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 5878774)
Holy Moley, is the instrument filled with helium? If so will it affect the sound?

Haha. Nice! But I would vote for a slotted headstock option...

This will be VERY fun to watch happen.

Carry on and have FUN

Paul

Thanks Paul,

Yes, it is safe to say the sound will be affected. I expect a very quick and lively response. It should also just shake in your hands!
I like the look of this style of headstock when it's slotted and it will certainly be an option. I also like the look of the plain traditional solid headstock which I'm going with here. It may become more evident why I'm making this choice as this all unfolds.


Thanks for commenting!

Mark

TomB'sox 11-01-2018 05:39 PM

Congrats on the new model Mark. It is a Hatcher, so we know it will be a success! I like the 100 year old woods for sure!

PonchoFrancisco 11-01-2018 06:21 PM

It's amazing how light some of the old guitars were. I'll spare you the 'attic Strad' story, but my son came to have a 1927 OO-28 and he had me come over to try it. I expected a certain weight and when I picked it up it almost flew across the room. Light as a feather and except for a a neck reset and new bar-frets, all original. Hard to believe something so lightly built would last so long with only a little care.

Erithon 11-01-2018 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 5878780)
However, to some extent there is really no getting away from me making a guitar with a Hatcher's voice.

And that's how it should be!

The Bard Rocks 11-01-2018 09:46 PM

If that's a hard case, what in the world are you using? I've made several cases and 3lb for a case is VERY hard to do. I haven't come close (yet).

Mark Hatcher 11-02-2018 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 5878830)
Congrats on the new model Mark. It is a Hatcher, so we know it will be a success! I like the 100 year old woods for sure!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Tom!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PonchoFrancisco (Post 5878867)
It's amazing how light some of the old guitars were. I'll spare you the 'attic Strad' story, but my son came to have a 1927 OO-28 and he had me come over to try it. I expected a certain weight and when I picked it up it almost flew across the room. Light as a feather and except for a a neck reset and new bar-frets, all original. Hard to believe something so lightly built would last so long with only a little care.

The really lightweight, no frills, prewar guitars were fabulous instruments in many ways. I am trying to emulate those instruments, without faking it with this build.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erithon (Post 5878887)
And that's how it should be!

Thanks, I agree. The voice should stay recognizable but, within a range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks (Post 5879044)
If that's a hard case, what in the world are you using? I've made several cases and 3lb for a case is VERY hard to do. I haven't come close (yet).

Letís call that 6 lbs total a goal, not a rule. My plan depends on old style joinery and padding layouts. Iíll have more on what Iím doing to make that case.

Thanks for the comments!
Mark

mikealpine 11-02-2018 06:04 AM

Mark, I'm quite used to you building guitars with a distinct and beautiful visual impact, so it is going to be interesting to see your definition of "minimalist". Those older instruments were so utilitarian, and though wonderful to hear, were "just" guitars and no frills. I'm very much looking forward to seeing/hearing your take on a more vintage-like guitar. Your excitement when we discussed it at Woodstock was nice to see.

Mark Hatcher 11-02-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikealpine (Post 5879182)
Mark, I'm quite used to you building guitars with a distinct and beautiful visual impact, so it is going to be interesting to see your definition of "minimalist". Those older instruments were so utilitarian, and though wonderful to hear, were "just" guitars and no frills. I'm very much looking forward to seeing/hearing your take on a more vintage-like guitar. Your excitement when we discussed it at Woodstock was nice to see.

Thanks Mike, I am making an old style guitar and it will be no frills but, I assure you it will not be "just a guitar"! For one thing some of the joinery on those old guitars has fallen from common usage. Not because it was replaced by something better but, because it was too time consuming or needed too much skill to do properly or it just didn't fit well into a manufacturing environment. On this guitar model I am moving away some from art on guitar and concentrating more on the art of guitar.

Mark Hatcher 11-02-2018 09:48 AM

The Top
 
The top:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4588/...ba818d7c_c.jpg

The top for this guitar came from a train tunnel in Oregon that was built in 1835. It is old growth Redwood cut over 173 years ago. That would be the top left tunnel you see here on this old hand colored lithograph:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/816/3...e1c5c118_c.jpg

The tunnels were reinforced with concrete and when the old beams were removed they threw them off down into the ravine. My source is a local guitar builder/fireman who has been hiking down into the ravine, examining the beams and cutting off the prime pieces he is able to pack out.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4587/...f827b398_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4590/...2f349fe1_b.jpg

So if I were to say this is a prewar top I'd be talking about the Civil War.
These tops have been fabulous. They ring like a bell, well, like several bells because of all the different tones you can get tapping them.


Here is the top I selected for this build:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1973/...262068c3_b.jpg

And we're off!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4901/...e0d7ffbd_c.jpg

bmh1 11-02-2018 10:40 AM

I'm in love with this already, Mark! That redwood is amazing, and I'm looking forward to hearing what this guitar's unique take on the Hatcher sound will be! Thanks for posting all of this and letting us follow along!

beth


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=