The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   LISTEN (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Jonatha Brooke - Your House (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548549)

mondoslug 06-03-2019 05:35 AM

Jonatha Brooke - Your House

Speaking of 18 years ago, first time I heard this tune I had to research who/what it was, love this tune. Found the tuning on a website, C G Eb F Bb D, if it is indeed that, kinda of a C-9/11ish thing. I didn't try to learn the tune, just messed around with the tuning a bit. Anybody have experience with this tune & or tuning? That is all.

Shoreline Music 06-03-2019 07:46 AM

Ever since I bought my first album by The Story in 1993, I've been a huge fan.

I saw her in a really intimate venue here in Durango two years ago. Consummate musician, really great guitarist. She played an Olson with a Fishman pickup, and retuned her alternate tunings so many times I was more interested in the strings she used—I figured most brands would have broken.

mondoslug 06-04-2019 02:28 PM

That is funny.

AcousticDreams 06-04-2019 03:00 PM

What an absolutely beautiful song, beautiful singing and incredible guitar sound.
Thanks so much for sharing I was not familiar with her work before.

gruuv 06-04-2019 08:04 PM

Ah, yes, Jonatha. Loved her from the first moment I heard “Nothing Sacred,” but the entire Plumb album is fantastic. Then Steady Pull came out in ‘01 (the album “Your House” is on). I was heavily into bass at the time, and “Room In My Heart” featured Marcus Miller on fretless doing these slides into each note during the chorus - just amazing! And again, the entire album is wonderful.

I got to see her two years later in Knoxville. She was doing a gig with her band at a venue downtown, but she made an appearance at a record store (back when those existed) just with her acoustic. I was one of maybe 12 people there, and I got to talk with her a bit after. She was great.

Sorry - no help on the tuning. But, thanks for the trip down Memory Lane!

mondoslug 06-05-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars (Post 6078628)
What an absolutely beautiful song, beautiful singing and incredible guitar sound.
Thanks so much for sharing I was not familiar with her work before.

I know right? Glad you enjoyed it.

mondoslug 06-05-2019 10:00 AM

I'm mainly familiar with "Steady Pull, I'll check out some others, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gruuv (Post 6078827)
Ah, yes, Jonatha. Loved her from the first moment I heard “Nothing Sacred,” but the entire Plumb album is fantastic. Then Steady Pull came out in ‘01 (the album “Your House” is on). I was heavily into bass at the time, and “Room In My Heart” featured Marcus Miller on fretless doing these slides into each note during the chorus - just amazing! And again, the entire album is wonderful.

I got to see her two years later in Knoxville. She was doing a gig with her band at a venue downtown, but she made an appearance at a record store (back when those existed) just with her acoustic. I was one of maybe 12 people there, and I got to talk with her a bit after. She was great.

Sorry - no help on the tuning. But, thanks for the trip down Memory Lane!