The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   McKnight Guitars - Olive wood / Redwood siblings (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402354)

Tim McKnight 02-15-2016 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogthefrog (Post 4825277)
And here I was marveling that you were free handing the neck joint mortise. Pre-mortising the neck block sure makes a lot more sense :D

I can only wish my hands were steady enough to free hand a cut like that. But alas I'm not that steady so that is why I rely on jigs and fixtures to make accurate and precise cuts.

Tim McKnight 02-17-2016 11:09 AM

I have to confess that during the last few sub ZERO days the heat from our wood stove in the shop has been such a blessing;

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0...2/IMG_3005.JPG

I am usually far from the stove as I don't appreciate the heat as much as Mary does. She is usually cuddled up close to it, either on her PC or lost in a story from Reader's Digest. On stressful days in the shop, I have to walk away from building guitars, or the project could become BTUs. :eek:

Which has happened more times than I care to admit. :eek::eek::eek:

Steve Kinnaird 02-17-2016 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim McKnight (Post 4819768)
Thanks John,

Its just one of those quickie tools that we often slap together on the spur of the moment and 25 years later they are still satisfying the need. I needed a small router table and 10 minutes later it was born. Its been dedicated to cutting peg head bindings channels ever since.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-a...2/IMG_2934.JPG

Yeah Tim, I'm with my brother, that looks like a fine solution.
I've been intending to make one of those for (I'm ashamed to admit) years. Something about round tuits and not getting one...
Sorry about the airborn fretboard. Did it damage the wall?!
Become BTU's?

Steve

Tim McKnight 02-19-2016 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird (Post 4831719)
Yeah Tim, I'm with my brother, that looks like a fine solution.
I've been intending to make one of those for (I'm ashamed to admit) years. Something about round tuits and not getting one...
Sorry about the airborn fretboard. Did it damage the wall?!
Become BTU's?

Steve

Glad I am not the only one who has a pile of round-tuits accumulating.

The airborne fretboard did put a dent in the wall, behind my belt sander, but it's hard to see it among the other dents ;)

I was indeed headed for the woodstove but Mary snatched the broken pieces up for her project file box. She often times turns most of my scraps into artwork. Shes been known to give a few pieces away for door prizes at McJams. They always bring a smile to everyone's face when they receive one of her art pieces.

nootis 02-19-2016 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim McKnight (Post 4823440)
Thanks for the compliments Chris. As a matter of fact there are a couple more sets of this Olive wood left in my stash. Perhaps we need to talk?

I wish you could smell this olive wood in person. Its got a heavenly aroma!

I think that based on the Chris' "doo-doo" thread, Tim is also smelling something of an opportunity (not the doo-doo of course).:D

Tim McKnight 02-24-2016 07:05 PM

When opportunity knocks... ;)

Sorry for the late reply. I've been sidelined due to recent cataract surgery. Hope to be back in the shop sooner than later.

Howard Klepper 02-24-2016 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim McKnight (Post 4841475)
When opportunity knocks... ;)

Sorry for the late reply. I've been sidelined due to recent cataract surgery. Hope to be back in the shop sooner than later.

So sorry to hear this, Tim. Did you get new lenses? Many of my friends have, and they all say it was like someone turned the lights on.

lizzard 02-25-2016 07:02 AM

Tim,

I'm out for now. But I do admire your work. More importantly, well wishes for a speedy recovery.

My 97-yo granny likes to "over-share." TMI all the time. 30ish years ago she came to IL from her then retirement living in FLA. She had cataract surgery which they filmed. We had to watch. This was before laser technology was "normal."

I certainly hope your procedure was less barbaric.

Best,

Chris

Guitars44me 02-25-2016 10:10 AM

Get well fast!

Sending good thoughts for your fast recovery!

Cheers

Paul

TomB'sox 02-25-2016 12:33 PM

Wow, if you produced guitars like you have been with cataracts I can't wait to see what you can do now that you can see!!!!!!

Mark Hatcher 02-25-2016 12:51 PM

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
When I was 10 years old my family was visiting with my 103 year old great grandmother in Kentucky. She had memories that went back to before the civil war and was quite the story teller. She told me about getting cataract surgery when she was in her forties. She said, "Oh we didn't have anesthesia back then, I was wide awake and when they took my eye out, I could see my ear!" At 10 years old I absolutely believed her and was haunted by that for about thirty five years before someone finally told me how stupid I was for believing her.

lizzard 02-25-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 4842553)
Wishing you a speedy recovery!
When I was 10 years old my family was visiting with my 103 year old great grandmother in Kentucky. She had memories that went back to before the civil war and was quite the story teller. She told me about getting cataract surgery when she was in her forties. She said, "Oh we didn't have anesthesia back then, I was wide awake and when they took my eye out, I could see my ear!" At 10 years old I absolutely believed her and was haunted by that for about thirty five years before someone finally told me how stupid I was for believing her.

Thanks for "one-upping" me Mark. You just fell two places down my list!

:cry:

theEdwinson 02-25-2016 08:47 PM

Hey, Tim, best wishes for a blessedly swift and perfect recuperation from the cataract procedure, and the result of excellent vision returning permanently. I hope that the difference you see is dramatically better, and it only adds to the pleasure of your work, and the quality of your life! The current state of the art of optical surgery is astounding. Almost as good as the state of the art of lutherie, of which YOU are at the pinnacle!

Tim McKnight 02-26-2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard Klepper (Post 4841539)
So sorry to hear this, Tim. Did you get new lenses? Many of my friends have, and they all say it was like someone turned the lights on.

Hi Howard,
I did have one new lens implanted in my right eye. There is a mandatory 5 week waiting period between the first surgery on my right eye and the 2nd surgery on my left eye. My long distance vision might be a smidge better but close up reading is impossible without some Dollar Store reading glasses. My previous prescription glasses are useless now so it looks like it will be at least 10 weeks before I can be fitted for new glasses. I'm still waiting for "someone to turn the lights on" :eek:

Tim McKnight 02-26-2016 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzard (Post 4842007)
Tim,
My 97-yo granny likes to "over-share." TMI all the time. 30ish years ago she came to IL from her then retirement living in FLA. She had cataract surgery which they filmed. We had to watch. This was before laser technology was "normal."

I certainly hope your procedure was less barbaric.

Best,

Chris

Thanks for the well wishes Chris. The surgery might have been less barbaric than your grandmothers but I can't say so for sure. I was too busy counting the sparkly sheep in the tie died coats.