The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Is this Fender's best amp? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537846)

Sonics 02-12-2019 01:36 PM

Is this Fender's best amp?

Fender's 'Acoustasonic' was their flagship product for Winter NAMM '19. Tragically their new electric amp slipped under the radar. A Fender amp that does dirty tones 'quite' well, and is reasonably priced.

imwjl 02-12-2019 01:45 PM

This is an area where I'm admittedly fine ignoring the present or the future. Best was checked off a long time ago - blackface amps with reverb tanks.

:)

muscmp 02-12-2019 02:08 PM

i seriously doubt it. their best was in the past but you can get a good DRRI or PRRI at a price.

play music!

Jaden 02-12-2019 05:31 PM

From all I could read up on the Bassbreaker line from experienced musicians, they are voiced darker than the classic Fenders, even the Blues Junior, perhaps due to extensive gain stages. With more gain, even if not employed, there is a slight trade off in clarity, colour and brightness. Happy to be corrected on this however.

ghostnote 02-12-2019 06:21 PM

The best Fender I have personally played was a Vibro King. It was superb. The amps that I play most at home are a Princeton Reverb RI, and an EC Vibro Champ. Two completely different animals, but I love 'em both. I've always wanted to get my hands on a Super Reverb and crank it way up - that sound is almost a religious experience. Someday...

MIGAS79 02-12-2019 06:36 PM

I love my Bassbreaker 15. It’s my only amp and honestly I haven’t even thought about doing anything to change it up in that department.

Paultergeist 02-12-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imwjl (Post 5977667)
This is an area where I'm admittedly fine ignoring the present or the future. Best was checked off a long time ago - blackface amps with reverb tanks.

Yup. Concur. Back when the wiring was done with — well — WIRE......before the cheap printed circuit boards made the amps very hard to modify, service, or repair.

Jerry D 02-12-2019 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostnote (Post 5977938)
I've always wanted to get my hands on a Super Reverb and crank it way up - that sound is almost a religious experience. Someday...

I'm almost embarrassed to say it, but I have one, a 1966. Bought it circa 1977 from a friend who had purchased it new. He thought he wanted a Marshall at the time. Later, he wanted me to sell the Super back to him, but I held on to it all these years. Just had it refurbished about six months ago. It's a jewel. :D

perttime 02-13-2019 05:23 AM

Best depends on what you want.
(I seem to be happiest with more marshally sounds)

muscmp 02-13-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaden (Post 5977885)
From all I could read up on the Bassbreaker line from experienced musicians, they are voiced darker than the classic Fenders, even the Blues Junior, perhaps due to extensive gain stages. With more gain, even if not employed, there is a slight trade off in clarity, colour and brightness. Happy to be corrected on this however.

the bassbreaker and blues junior both use el84 tubes that vox uses in its amps. normally, they would produce a brighter sound similar to the ac15 or ac30 but it is the circuitry that makes it darker. ironically, they are probably the only fender amps with those tubes other than a real early tremolux.

play music!

Johnny K 02-13-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostnote (Post 5977938)
The best Fender I have personally played was a Vibro King. It was superb. The amps that I play most at home are a Princeton Reverb RI, and an EC Vibro Champ. Two completely different animals, but I love 'em both. I've always wanted to get my hands on a Super Reverb and crank it way up - that sound is almost a religious experience. Someday...

My friend and fellow guitarist has 66 Vibralux that he just took to THE amp guru, Jeff Bober to get fixed. That is the best Fender I ever heard.

As for the the Super Reverb, I know where you can get one if they still have it. Local pickup only. :D

I had an early 70's silverface Twin for many years, and didn't even know that a quad version, The Super, existed. It would probably shatter all the windows and shake all the walls downs in my house.

Nama Ensou 02-13-2019 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perttime (Post 5978221)
Best depends on what you want.
(I seem to be happiest with more marshally sounds)

Absolutely. There is no overall best. I'm more of a Marshall guy too, but sure do love a lot of the Fender amps too.

Sonics 02-13-2019 02:53 PM

When folk start getting all dewy-eyed over these much coveted vintage Fender amps I have to laugh. I'm an advocate of technology and I put it to you that Fender amps built today are just as good as the ones built in the 60's, or even custom shop.

Can you hear the difference between a budget sold state modelling amp and a modded Tremolux. Which do you prefer A or B?

The answers:

The Bassbreaker is the first Fender amp I've heard with a great 'dirty' sound. And I presume someone has already programmed, and uploaded a preset for the Mustang amplifier.

Tahitijack 02-13-2019 03:49 PM

My two candidates are:
Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Hot Rod Deluxe

GHS 02-13-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paultergeist (Post 5978051)
Yup. Concur. Back when the wiring was done with — well — WIRE......before the cheap printed circuit boards made the amps very hard to modify, service, or repair.

The up side is. like with the TV's of days gone by, the new ones dont have to be serviced or repaired. ;)