The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   "Both Sides Now" - Joni Mitchell - Tutorial/TAB (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194340)

Backslider 09-14-2010 02:37 PM

"Both Sides Now" - Joni Mitchell - Tutorial/TAB

This is a beautiful song that I originally transcribed from memory many years ago, having listened to Randy Scruggs version some ten years previous. Its in open G tuning: DGDGBD - fingerstyle.

The TAB sounds very robotic as I have only transcribed WHEN you should pluck a note. In practice, you should generally sustain all the notes as long as possible. Bass notes naturally are played with the thumb. You should vary the tempo of this piece, particularly by slowing down at the end of sections. Where there are two notes played with the thumb and finger together, I tend to play the bass note a fraction before the melody note. In all places in the slow sections where there are more than two notes played together, I arpeggiate rather than play them all together.

If you have trouble with any section or have a question, please quote the bar numbers that you can see in the TAB. Its not a particularly difficult piece.

Download the Tuxguitar TAB here: Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell

dpoirier 09-15-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backslider (Post 2346286)
This is a beautiful song that I originally transcribed from memory many years ago, having listened to Randy Scruggs version some ten years previous. Its in open G tuning: DADGBD - fingerstyle.

The TAB sounds very robotic as I have only transcribed WHEN you should pluck a note. In practice, you should generally sustain all the notes as long as possible. Bass notes naturally are played with the thumb. You should vary the tempo of this piece, particularly by slowing down at the end of sections. Where there are two notes played with the thumb and finger together, I tend to play the bass note a fraction before the melody note. In all places in the slow sections where there are more than two notes played together, I arpeggiate rather than play them all together.

If you have trouble with any section or have a question, please quote the bar numbers that you can see in the TAB. Its not a particularly difficult piece.

Download the Tuxguitar TAB here: Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell

Isn't open G tuning DBDGBD?

Backslider 09-15-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpoirier (Post 2347540)
Isn't open G tuning DBDGBD?

Its actually DGDGBD. Sorry for the typo!

mackdaddie 09-16-2010 11:25 AM

Thank you Backslider, I'm adding this gorgeous song to my learn list.

Backslider 09-16-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackdaddie (Post 2348105)
Thank you Backslider, I'm adding this gorgeous song to my learn list.

You are welcome. Let me know if you need a hand with any of it.

Once you get it happening on guitar, you will find it sounds infinitely better than the TAB robot.

RGCC 09-16-2010 01:16 PM

I can't get any of you Tutitoral Tabs to open, any suggestions?

Thanks, can't wait to learn Both Sides Now!

Backslider 09-16-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGCC (Post 2348196)
I can't get any of you Tutitoral Tabs to open, any suggestions?

What software are you using? I only uploaded this for Tuxguitar, which is 100% free software.

RGCC 09-16-2010 01:41 PM

PDF would be my only resourse to use.

Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks again.

Barry

Backslider 09-16-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGCC (Post 2348226)
PDF would be my only resourse to use.

PDF it is: Both_Sides_Now.pdf

RGCC 09-16-2010 09:33 PM

Thank you very much for the PDF file tab, I truly appreciate it.

One last thing.....I can't get your YouTube link of the tutitoral to open up either.

Sorry to be such a bother

Thanks

Backslider 09-16-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGCC (Post 2348643)
One last thing.....I can't get your YouTube link of the tutitoral to open up either.

I don't have a Youtube link :)

I will be throwing up some stuff on Youtube later on, but am still organising a decent recording environment.

Please feel free to post here is you have difficulty with something or have a question. Please quote the bar numbers if referring to a particular section.

bodde 09-17-2010 02:16 AM

Hi,

The song Both Sides Now is actually not in an open G tuning!
It is in open D with the capo on the 4th fret.

Turtle 09-17-2010 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backslider (Post 2348269)

Thanks Backslider. I had sent a PM asking for a scanned copy ... this is just as good.

Backslider 09-17-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bodde (Post 2348738)
Hi,

The song Both Sides Now is actually not in an open G tuning!
It is in open D with the capo on the 4th fret.

Trust me, this is in open G, no capo required.

bodde 09-17-2010 08:33 AM

It is in open D with capo on 5th fret:
see this Joni clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcrEqIpi6sg