The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   "Kathy's Song" by Paul Simon (cover) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619021)

Glennwillow 06-23-2021 09:33 AM

"Kathy's Song" by Paul Simon (cover)

"Kathy's Song" was first released on the 2nd Simon & Garfunkel album "Sounds of Silence" in 1966. The song also appeared on "The Paul Simon Songbook" solo album recorded earlier.

I have recorded my cover of this song with the guitar, a Santa Cruz OM/PW, tuned down one half tone as Paul Simon did.

Thanks for listening. :)

- Glenn

jnidoh 06-23-2021 11:42 AM

Beautiful song well done and well played by you Glenn.

Sometimes I feel that you've been reading my mail (as Kris would say) or maybe just coincidence, but a lot of the songs you play are on my long list of hope to learns.

Appreciate your posting and look forward to hearing and enjoying more from your (our) list.

Take care,

john

Glennwillow 06-23-2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnidoh (Post 6747619)
Beautiful song well done and well played by you Glenn.

Sometimes I feel that you've been reading my mail (as Kris would say) or maybe just coincidence, but a lot of the songs you play are on my long list of hope to learns.

Appreciate your posting and look forward to hearing and enjoying more from your (our) list.

Take care,

john

Hi John,

It's great to hear from you! I'm so glad you appreciate this cover and that the song is one you have also thought about. And I'm really pleased to read that you like this cover. :)

For me this is one of Paul Simon's prettiest songs. I've been doing this song for years sort of my own way, but this last week I decided to really pay attention to how Paul Simon played it. As a result I had to change the song considerably.

It does show that an old dog can learn new tricks and that techniques we have been using for well over 50 years don't have to dictate how we play things.

I hope you are enjoying your summer in the Poconos. Take care John!

- Glenn

difalkner 06-23-2021 01:11 PM

Beautifully played and sung, Glenn! I've always liked this song and you did such a fine job in this one - excellent!

guitarquango 06-23-2021 03:08 PM

Oh Glenn. You really got me. I have tears in my eyes.

One of the most beautiful versions ever.
Your voice is a gift and your soulful singing moves me my dear friend.

I love your music Glenn. This wonderful cover is another reason.

All the best for you and lot of friendly hugs from Hamburg,

Jimmy

Glennwillow 06-23-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by difalkner (Post 6747679)
Beautifully played and sung, Glenn! I've always liked this song and you did such a fine job in this one - excellent!

Thanks so much David!

I am so very pleased that you feel this came out well! It is such a sweet song.

Thanks also for taking time to listen and comment. It's so very much appreciated! :)

Be well David! :)

- Glenn

Glennwillow 06-23-2021 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarquango (Post 6747775)
Oh Glenn. You really got me. I have tears in my eyes.

One of the most beautiful versions ever.
Your voice is a gift and your soulful singing moves me my dear friend.

I love your music Glenn. This wonderful cover is another reason.

All the best for you and lot of friendly hugs from Hamburg,

Jimmy

Thank you Jimmy!

You are too kind! But I am so very pleased that you, a fellow musician, appreciate this cover so much! It means a great deal to read your encouraging and kind thoughts and words.

And how wonderful to hear from you from Hamburg. I am coming to you from a quiet river valley out in the country of coastal Washington State, USA.

Take care Jimmy,
Glenn

Gitfiddlemann 06-23-2021 03:36 PM

This post definitely grabbed my eye Glenn. :)
As usual, you make terrific work of such a beautiful tune. When I first learned how to play, this is one of the songs I spent hours and hours on, head in the "stereo" and scratching the heck out of the LP by moving the needle back and forth so many times. Digital tech would have been so useful back then for that. But it was worth all the effort!
So glad you decided to do this one. Thanks for sharing this latest recording. Great stuff. :up:

Glennwillow 06-23-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreF (Post 6747801)
This post definitely grabbed my eye Glenn. :)
As usual, you make terrific work of such a beautiful tune. When I first learned how to play, this is one of the songs I spent hours and hours on, head in the "stereo" and scratching the heck out of the LP by moving the needle back and forth so many times. Digital tech would have been so useful back then for that. But it was worth all the effort!
So glad you decided to do this one. Thanks for sharing this latest recording. Great stuff. :up:

Thank you Andre'!

I'm glad you saw this and checked it out! You were the one who gave me the idea to do this song just recently, so THANK YOU! :)

I'm glad you felt this came out well! Thank you for taking time to listen; your comments are greatly appreciated! :)

- Glenn

andre.g 06-24-2021 05:30 AM

This is one of my favourite Simon and Garfunkel tunes. Wonderful rendition of a beautiful song.

Glennwillow 06-24-2021 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andre.g (Post 6748160)
This is one of my favourite Simon and Garfunkel tunes. Wonderful rendition of a beautiful song.

Thank you Andre!

I'm so glad you thought this came out okay! This is one of my favorites, too! Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!

I hope things are going well for you!

- Glenn

TBman 06-24-2021 10:28 AM

Really nice Glenn! I love the tone of the Santa Cruz tuned down. Smooth playing, very good!

SGFletch 06-24-2021 11:12 AM

Nicely done, Glen. I love this song.

You keep producing consistently great videos that sound very polished. Great work!

Glennwillow 06-24-2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 6748374)
Really nice Glenn! I love the tone of the Santa Cruz tuned down. Smooth playing, very good!

Hi Barry!

Thank you for your kind comments! I'm glad you felt this came out well! :)

Regarding the Santa Cruz OM/PW tuned down, thank you for your thoughts. I like it, too. When I normally play this song, I use standard tuning and just sing it a half tone higher, but when I recorded myself doing that recently, I thought my voice sounded a little thin. Then I realized that Paul Simon had actually sung this a half step lower, so I started experimenting with that.

I had been playing this on other guitars, such as my Sheppard, but when I down-tuned the Sheppard the intonation was terrible and the guitar was just way too bassy. In fact, any of the guitars that I have with good bass, the bigger body guitars, all sounded horrible to me. So, I thought, I should try an OM that has less bass to begin with. The Santa Cruz had old strings and it sounded awful, too, until I changed strings.

I don't normally play a guitar at other than standard pitch and I had a heck of a time trying the get the guitar in tune with itself. Maybe it's just that I'm not used to the sound, but the intonation on the Santa Cruz was also off a little. I really had to tweak and adjust until I could get it to sound right.

I do agree, though -- once I got the guitar in tune with itself, the Santa Cruz OM/PW sounded good.

I hope all is well for you Barry! :)

- Glenn

Glennwillow 06-24-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGFletch (Post 6748418)
Nicely done, Glen. I love this song.

You keep producing consistently great videos that sound very polished. Great work!

Thank you SG!

I very much appreciate the kind words of encouragement! I'm so glad you feel this came out well! :) I love this song, too. :)

Regarding polished video productions, I do work at it and put in a fair amount of time both in preparation and in production. I am retired now so I do have more time, which is very helpful. Also, I have been making YouTube videos since the summer of 2016, so five years now, and I have learned a great deal over that time.

Thanks so much, SG, for taking the time to listen and then to provide feedback! It's greatly appreciated! :)

- Glenn