The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   MARK BLANCHARD Bristlecone [Italian Spruce | Brazilian Rosewood] (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596397)

eKat 03-10-2021 10:15 AM

Hi, everybody - Kath here - it's been a while since posting up on the 13th Fret.

I just learned about this thread and recognize some of you from back in the day and wanted to say hi to Al Carruth, Richard Mott, AndreF, rick-slo and Steve Kinnaird. Glad you to see that you're all still active in the scene.

And, Bob, (iim7V7IM7) when I was down at Blanchard's for last ski season, before the pandemic shut down the ski areas and chased me back to our place in Montana, he shared your design ideas with me.

Your custom Bristlecone is going to be magnificent. I particularly like the curly Koa purflings; nice, mellow touch that doesn't distract from Blanchard's understated elegance.

Back in the day I did the photography and wrote what we called Luthier's Logs; little "Baby Books" for lack of a better descriptor, for each guitar that Blanchard built. None of our clients knew they were getting them, they were just little surprises that hid in the cases until the client looked around and found them in the pocket. Sometimes that would take longer than you'd think. They were nowhere near as detailed as the entries in this tread.

I'M LOVIN' IT!

Blanchard's is a rare and precious gift and it does my soul good to see such a wonderful, heartfelt thread, sharing it with the industry.

Interestingly, Blanchard Guitar #1 was my secret surprise Christmas gift in 1994. Her name is Katrianna, she's a classical and I'm afraid she started this entire mess.

HA!

Well, here's to seeing this thread to the very end. I'll be waiting with bated breath to hear how you like your new Bristlecone, Bob. If California wasn't such a hot bed, I'd be back down at Blanchard's for ski season, but I probably won't be there to play it before it gets shipped off. I hope it finds you pleased.

Thanks, guys, I hope you don't mind me hangin' out . . . and remember. . . KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!

iim7V7IM7 03-10-2021 10:49 AM

Kathy, thanks for chiming in...:up:

This is actually the second time that I have journaled one of Mark's builds. Mark built me a Pinyon 6-years ago.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=394206

In that build thread, I believe Derek (Rick-slo) shared some of your photos from the book that you prepared back in the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eKat (Post 6658425)
Hi, everybody - Kath here - it's been a while since posting up on the 13th Fret.

I just learned about this thread and recognize some of you from back in the day and wanted to say hi to Al Carruth, Richard Mott, AndreF, rick-slo and Steve Kinnaird. Glad you to see that you're all still active in the scene.

And, Bob, (iim7V7IM7) when I was down at Blanchard's for last ski season, before the pandemic shut down the ski areas and chased me back to our place in Montana, he shared your design ideas with me.

Your custom Bristlecone is going to be magnificent. I particularly like the curly Koa purflings; nice, mellow touch that doesn't distract from Blanchard's understated elegance.

Back in the day I did the photography and wrote what we called Luthier's Logs; little "Baby Books" for lack of a better descriptor, for each guitar that Blanchard built. None of our clients knew they were getting them, they were just little surprises that hid in the cases until the client looked around and found them in the pocket. Sometimes that would take longer than you'd think. They were nowhere near as detailed as the entries in this tread.

I'M LOVIN' IT!

Blanchard's is a rare and precious gift and it does my soul good to see such a wonderful, heartfelt thread, sharing it with the industry.

Interestingly, Blanchard Guitar #1 was my secret surprise Christmas gift in 1994. Her name is Katrianna, she's a classical and I'm afraid she started this entire mess.

HA!

Well, here's to seeing this thread to the very end. I'll be waiting with bated breath to hear how you like your new Bristlecone, Bob. If California wasn't such a hot bed, I'd be back down at Blanchard's for ski season, but I probably won't be there to play it before it gets shipped off. I hope it finds you pleased.

Thanks, guys, I hope you don't mind me hangin' out . . . and remember. . . KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!

eKat 03-10-2021 11:08 AM

Thanks, Bob!

I just checked out those older threads.

SO TOTALLY RAD!

Once SARS-CoV-2 is history, all y'alls gotta go up to Mammoth (well. . . Crowley) and see that new shop.

Something interesting happens in there. You're surrounded by tools that he has designed and hand built so he can use them when he designs and builds everything from bomber truss rods to incredible guitars and beyond.

After 42 years he still completely flabbergasts me.

He really is reMARKable!

Alan Carruth 03-10-2021 11:13 AM

It's nice to hear from you, Kath!

"Interestingly, Blanchard Guitar #1 was my secret surprise Christmas gift in 1994. Her name is Katrianna, she's a classical and I'm afraid she started this entire mess."

I seem to remember that the top Mark brought to the plate tuning workshop in Palo Alto was a steel string, but it may have been that Classical. It was a while ago! Mark is smarter than I am, and keeps better records, and I've learned a lot from him. I wish it was easier for all of us to get together, but these groups do help.

eKat 03-10-2021 11:26 AM

Hi, Al!

Yeah. . . that could have been the 2nd top for Katrianna. After a few months he didn't like it and wanted to replace it.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

He had to strong arm me into giving it up. I hadn't even gotten use to it enough to not cry when I tried to play it and sing at the same time and he wanted to rip her out of my heart. HA.

He won.

And. . . that free plate tuning clinic in Palo Alto was the very best. I think my favorite part was when we all went out to lunch and you guys were plastered with purple and silver glitter.

GOOD TIMES, Al - good times, fer sher!

I remember saying you guys seemed to be cut from the same mold. To which you added that it wasn't the green furry stuff that grows on Vermont cheddar.

:-)

Guitars44me 03-10-2021 01:52 PM

I agree with John

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackKeys36 (Post 6652910)
You definitely aren't writing to yourself! Enjoying every word of the thread and can't wait to hear this one and see it complete!

Just chiming in to say I am loving this...

Thanks!

Paul

iim7V7IM7 03-14-2021 06:32 PM

Roughing a Bridge

In the first photo Mark is creating a slot with a 3/16” diameter end mill on his Logan Lathe.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...972F0CE89.jpeg

In the second shot, Mark is drilling 2.250” spacing bridge pin holes using one of his fixtures.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...A197925EC.jpeg

The third photo shows the complete rough shaping of the Ebony bridge. It weighs only 26 grams.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...9A3471212.jpeg

Steve Kinnaird 03-15-2021 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eKat (Post 6658425)

I just learned about this thread and recognize some of you from back in the day and wanted to say hi to Al Carruth, Richard Mott, AndreF, rick-slo and Steve Kinnaird. Glad you to see that you're all still active in the scene...

Hi Kath, thanks for the honorable mention. I am in total agreement about the Koa purfling which pops away, nestled there in all that rich darkness. Like a good supporting actor, it simply adds to the already fine ensemble cast.

Steve

Richard Mott 03-15-2021 08:51 AM

Kath! Wonderful to see your posts and a warm hello after too many years! —Richard

eKat 03-15-2021 10:52 AM

Hey Steve and Richard. . . YAY. . . good to hear from you guys, too. I've been catching up on some other threads and see that my long time friend Marc Durso posts up once in a while. I'll have to let him know about this thread.

This forum is rich in history, that's for sure.

I love this industry. Just about everybody involved in it is creative and helpful. I mean, where else do you see practitioners sharing their work so openly; warts and all.

Blanchard and I went to Gryphon one night for an Al Carruth lecture on free plate tuning and Frank Ford did the intro. What he said that night, which was back in the 1900s, has stuck with me ever since. I won't be able to quote him, but the gist of it was him explaining that sharing techniques, openly, isn't a matter of leaking secrets, it's the best way to raise the level of skill for the entire industry, because after all it's just information; the luthier has to take it and actually go out and do the work.

Also back in the 1900s I was intimately involved in the surfboard building industry and well, let's just say, I didn't know one shaper or one glasser who spilled his secrets to anybody!

The luthier's art is anything but cut throat.

Keep it alive, you guys, it's a beautiful thing.

rick-slo 03-15-2021 12:01 PM

Kathy (eKat), hello and regards. My Bristlecone Swiss Spruce Macassar Ebony is still with me. It plays and records very well and I use it a lot.

Gitfiddlemann 03-15-2021 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eKat (Post 6663115)
... because after all it's just information; the luthier has to take it and actually go out and do the work.

Hey Kath! I see that you've posted a few times already. I would recognize your inimitable style anywhere! :)
So nice to hear from you again.
I quoted your words above because they could also apply to guitar players equally as well!
Lil Pinny is still with me and not going anywhere. ;)

eKat 03-16-2021 07:20 AM

HI, GUYS!

Yo, rick-slo and Andre, it’s so cool to be hangin’ out with you after all these years. I listened to your recordings again and they brought back killer memories.

I’m so stoked that you both still have your Blanchards.

Upon starting out, I thought we were creating family heirlooms. The first time I saw that one had changed hands, I cried my eyes out. Blanchard heard me down in the shop and ran up the stairs to see which one of our moms had died.

I stood up and blocked the Cinema Display and he actually moved me out of the way and stood there staring while I thought he’d share in my dismay. He grabbed me by the shoulders and said, “WHOA, he got more than it cost new. . . Kath, this is a good thing.”

OK, so I had unrealistic expectations; I was so much older then, I’m younger than that, now!

Keep it up you guys, this really is a beautiful thing.

iim7V7IM7 03-19-2021 03:19 PM

Wet Sanding

It has been about three weeks since Mark finished his last wet out with the the nitrocellulose lacquer. Today, he wet sanded the finish with 1,500 grit and soapy water. Fortunately, there was no need for any further drop fills.The guitar should be ready for the next step in about another week. In the shot that he sent you can begin to see the the contrast of the Macassar Ebony bindings (darker) and the curly/mottled Koa purflings (lighter) against the straight grained Brazilian Rosewood back and sides.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...F63E5D043.jpeg

mhw48 03-19-2021 08:22 PM

I know it’s the correct technique, but a photo of a wet guitar just freaks me out!
That binding is really beautiful against the BRW.