The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   acoustasonic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4395)

okrawimpy 03-06-2002 10:11 PM

acoustasonic

I was in a pawn shop today and found an acoustasonic junior amp, looks like new and seems to work fine, although the only guitar they had to try it out on was a cheap Yamaha....He wants 280 out the door for it. Looks to be about 150 less than a new one.
I know nothing about amps, but since I have the electronics on my 410 ce, I figure I may as well plug it in. I do not plan on gigging, just playing with it, and maybe a mic.
Should I go for it?
Thanks

DavidE 03-06-2002 10:14 PM

The Ultrasound amp is a much better sounding amp and the new models have separate mic inputs. I think the url is www.ultrasoundamps.com and they were updating their website, so I don't know that it works. If not, I hear good things about FQMS (www.fqms.com) as a dealer.

rsimper 03-06-2002 10:33 PM

okra- the fender is a very average amp. I think for 280 out the door, if its in good shape and not too old, would be fine to pay for it, though I would never consider buying one new.

I actually considered buying one for my 410ce for the same purpose a while back and found some better options (again, this is in the price range of the new, which runs about 430 or so as you said)

At 280 bucks (more like 260 really if you consider what other amps would be with tax) there really is nothing that i can think of that would beat that...as anything even CLOSE to that price from a big maker would be the crate CA30, or the fender acoustasoic 30...

Ive never played an ultrasound as DavidE suggests, but i have heard excellent things about them. First quality music supply stocks them www.fqms.com

If your purposes are just for home use to be loud ( i love doing this) then there really is no need to spend any more than that...the fender tone was just a little too electricky for me...too Fenderesque and not enough my guitar in the sound.

If you are willing to go up to the 3-400 dollar range, I would recommend the Marshall AS50R and the Carvin AG100D

Additionally, you seem open to the idea of a used amp- do a search on eBay, you can find some deals in your price range on stuff so you wont feel constricted just because you think the fender is the only one you can get a deal on

Make sure you do seperate searches for acoustic amplifier and acoustic amp, people sometimes dont list with both amplifier and amp in the title so youll get two different lists of the same types of items :) (just a little eBay trick us regular ebayers discover along the way)

Best of luck!

okrawimpy 03-06-2002 11:06 PM

Hey thanks! After posting I remembered there is a section for amplification, and am now looking at the archive. Lots of good info. The ultrasound does sound nice. I would probably be wise to spend a few more bucks and get something that makes me happy.
Thanks,
Okra

DavidE 03-06-2002 11:17 PM

many of us are upgrading from the old single channel Ultrasound to the new model, so you might find a used one cheap (I already sold mine). You might see if FQMS or even Dan or Mike at Ultrasound might have an old model around they could sell at a deep discount.