The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Bulge in back of guitar question (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305132)

Joshua White 08-03-2013 09:31 AM

Bulge in back of guitar question

My Taylor has a bulge in the back of the guitar (I know it's supposed to be like this) the wood on the back basically comes out rounded instead of flat and straight.

My question is that if I lie it on it's back in the case and leave the case flat on the ground, will it be bad for the back of my guitar? Would it be better to lay the case on it's side so that the weight pressure isn't being put on the rounded back?

stepchildusmc 08-03-2013 09:36 AM

ahh... a GS mini perhaps? laying it on it's back isn't going to hurt it. love those little guitars. the sound easily beats some bigger guitars at 3x the price.

Joshua White 08-03-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepchildusmc (Post 3570554)
ahh... a GS mini perhaps? laying it on it's back isn't going to hurt it. love those little guitars. the sound easily beats some bigger guitars at 3x the price.

It's a 114ce

Thanks.

ecguitar44 08-03-2013 10:00 AM

No and no.

stepchildusmc 08-03-2013 10:48 AM

it's no issue. the backs are curved intentionally to alleviate the issue of having to add more bracing. that keeps them more affordable. my 2 GS minis are the same way as were the 100/200 series ones i tried. it messes some people up at first...thinking that extreme humidity has taken hold;)

Joshua White 08-03-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepchildusmc (Post 3570607)
it's no issue. the backs are curved intentionally to alleviate the issue of having to add more bracing. that keeps them more affordable. my 2 GS minis are the same way as were the 100/200 series ones i tried. it messes some people up at first...thinking that extreme humidity has taken hold;)

Yeah when I first saw it I thought it was a bit strange, and then after looking at it for a while I realized it was done on purpose.

DesertTwang 08-03-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshua White (Post 3570549)
My Taylor has a bulge in the back of the guitar (I know it's supposed to be like this) the wood on the back basically comes out rounded instead of flat and straight.

My question is that if I lie it on it's back in the case and leave the case flat on the ground, will it be bad for the back of my guitar? Would it be better to lay the case on it's side so that the weight pressure isn't being put on the rounded back?

The "weight pressure?" Here is how I think about it: The string tension is somewhere around 150-200 pounds. Divided between the headstock and the bridge, that's 75 - 100 pounds pulling on each side. It's like standing the guitar upright and having a small person stand on the bridge.

I'm pretty sure the back can take a few pounds of weight pressure... ;)

I have a GS Mini and toss it around when camping and traveling. It gets left in 100 degree heat in the car when I'm in the woods in Arizona and don't have a choice, it gets crammed into overhead compartments, and I've had it fall over (in the case) numerous times at airports. The Mini can handle a beating.

flaggerphil 08-03-2013 04:29 PM

Your guitar will be fine in the case on it's top, bottom or side.

stepchildusmc 08-03-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaggerphil (Post 3570989)
Your guitar will be fine in the case on it's top, bottom or side.

no it won't !!!! send it to me for safekeeping !

CrazyChef 02-09-2018 05:01 PM

Wow, am I glad I found this thread! I just received my Taylor 150e Walnut from the UPS guy, and this had me extremely concerned. I didn't realize they were meant to be this way.

JonWint 02-09-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertTwang (Post 3570872)
Divided between the headstock and the bridge, that's 75 - 100 pounds pulling on each side.

No division required. Entire tension from strings is "felt" by headstock and bridge.

zmf 02-09-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertTwang (Post 3570872)
It's like standing the guitar upright and having a small person stand on the bridge.

That's not very pleasant image.

AndrewG 02-10-2018 04:21 AM

Aside from the fact that an arch is stronger than a flat surface for taking weight, the back is also laminated which makes for additional strength. Don't worry, play.

Moocheng 02-10-2018 05:29 AM

don't press to hard on the back or it will pop in and become concave ;)

no problem at all resting the guitar on its back, the arch is by nature a pretty strong shape hence theres no need for any back bracing