The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Franklin Jumbo Build (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586524)

Erithon 11-19-2020 12:12 PM

I heard from Jeanne yesterday that your Hoffee case is supposed to be ready in "about another week" so there's that...
(My case is due two weeks after that.)

mhw48 11-19-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erithon (Post 6554261)
I heard from Jeanne yesterday that your Hoffee case is supposed to be ready in "about another week" so there's that...
(My case is due two weeks after that.)

What is going into your Hoffee? I'd love to hear about it!

Erithon 11-19-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhw48 (Post 6554349)
What is going into your Hoffee? I'd love to hear about it!

lol we've PMed about this haha :)

Sadly not a new Franklin--it's my OM from 2004. I got it earlier this year, but it came in a real cheapo case so I reached out to Nick and Jeanne to see about getting a proper case. Something with better deflection, but also superior climate control. And that led to me ordering one with a custom paint job haha

mhw48 11-19-2020 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erithon (Post 6554504)
lol we've PMed about this haha :)

Sadly not a new Franklin--it's my OM from 2004. I got it earlier this year, but it came in a real cheapo case so I reached out to Nick and Jeanne to see about getting a proper case. Something with better deflection, but also superior climate control. And that led to me ordering one with a custom paint job haha

Oh, OK. I thought perhaps you’d decided on another Franklin, congrats on the Hoffee!

Erithon 11-19-2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhw48 (Post 6554511)
Oh, OK. I thought perhaps you’d decided on another Franklin, congrats on the Hoffee!

I wish! I'm just experiencing it vicariously through you. Your jumbo is going to be quite the guitar. I'm very excited for you.

blindboyjimi 11-20-2020 10:08 AM

Slight thread derailment deleted, but I can’t wait to see the final product!

Erithon 11-20-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindboyjimi (Post 6554980)
Sorry about the “cheapo” 16 year old, discolored TKL case, but that’s what it came with. I’m glad you’re loving it enough to give it a really nice case.

One quick note, I keep 2 “special cases” to ship my vintage guitars, a Calton and a Karura. All my other OMs as well as the 1933 OM-18, 1936 000-18 and the 1937 000-18 fit either but yours was a bit deeper than the others and would not fit. You might want to just double check the tail end vs the Hoffee specs. I think I remember yours being 4 1/4”. I don’t know if all Nick’s OMs are now that way or if for some reason yours was built a bit deeper than traditional OMs, but it’s worth a 30 second check.

Hi Jim! I didn't mean that as a knock on you (just the case lol) and I'm sorry if you took it that way. You were an absolute pleasure to work with and the guitar was in even better shape than you described :)

It actually wasn't even a TKL, but some random brand called Golden Gate that sells for $79.99 new on MF. Just wasn't going to cut it for the dry winters where I am. So I saved up some more money and contacted Franklin Guitars.

Thanks for the tip on the dimensions. I just measured: 4-1/8" at the end graft. Maybe you're thinking of a different guitar? This one conforms to standard OM specs, with the typical Franklin upper bout of 11.5".

(Sorry to derail your thread, Martin!)

mhw48 11-25-2020 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last night a photo appeared on my phone...

justonwo 11-25-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhw48 (Post 6559307)
Last night a photo appeared on my phone...

Those are always fun events. Can't wait to hear your review!

Diamondave 11-25-2020 09:26 PM

This is getting real....!!! exciting

mhw48 11-26-2020 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justonwo (Post 6559721)
Those are always fun events. Can't wait to hear your review!

Nick gave it a brief try -- and says that the sound is really great. He was curious if there would be an appreciable different after the varnish was on the guitar, but he says it sounds the same as it did "in the white." Great separation, a bell-like quality, and LOUD. I can't wait to try it out myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamondave (Post 6559951)
This is getting real....!!! exciting

It is getting quite real. Still a few steps to go -- Nick has to address a flaw in the finish on the tail of the guitar, but inching closer! Work is suspended for the rest of the week, though, for the holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving, AGF

FormerFoodie 11-26-2020 10:47 AM

I think this is going to be one hell of a holiday gift for yourself! :D

I don't know what it is about the aesthetics of varnish finishes, but I love them!

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm sure this axe will be worth the wait!!!!! :up:

Guitars44me 12-01-2020 11:28 PM

Anticipation....

Hope you are having FUN even while waiting!!

Sure is cute! Yum, varnish....

Salud

Paul

mhw48 12-02-2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FormerFoodie (Post 6560311)
I think this is going to be one hell of a holiday gift for yourself! :D

I don't know what it is about the aesthetics of varnish finishes, but I love them!

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm sure this axe will be worth the wait!!!!! :up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 6564647)
Hope you are having FUN even while waiting!!

Sure is cute! Yum, varnish....

Salud

Paul

When we decided to go ahead with the varnish, Nick warned me it would prolong the build, but I decided the wait would be worth the result. Part of the fun is the anticipation, speaking with Nick about set-backs, solutions and progress. We often end up digressing which is equally interesting.
In the meantime, to sustain my resolve, a quote from Søren Kierkegaard :
“Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it.”

Also, I have my Franklin Dread to play, so there's that...

mhw48 12-04-2020 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
At 8am Eastern time,(so 5am in Portland) Nick sent me a text and a photo:
"I don't have any new guitar strings. I'm gonna get some today, otherwise it's done.
"The guitar sounds just like it did before I painted it. Although I only had a half dead set of strings.
"I guess I'll have it for this weekend and that's bye-bye. I'm going to miss it.
"I'm still at work, I' leaving right now though."