The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   dual-source Schertler Dyn + Audix VX5 live clip (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193296)

jjrubin 09-01-2010 10:26 AM

OM-35 dual-sourced w/ Schertler Dyn + Audix VX5 live clip

blended through Bose T1 into the house PA; pretty good room acoustics. About 50-50 mix of the condenser and the Dyn. Playing my OM-35.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6akU_zTvhj0

Doubleneck 09-01-2010 04:56 PM

Jon, the T-1 was designed for use with the Boss L1 systems. Do you find it to be equally good with house systems. I am looking to combine pickups into a Genz Benz acoustic amp? Is the EQ sufficient to shape the Schertler Dyn-G. May be a better choice than the Dtar Soltice but not heard much about the T1, maybe because only L1 use it?
Like your sound.
Steve

kramster 09-01-2010 05:04 PM

The T1 works with a lot of amps.. darn versatile.

Doubleneck 09-02-2010 12:50 AM

Downloaded the manual for the Bose T1 very impressive and it does so much more than the Dtar Soltice. Hard to believe that this would not give me more options to shape the sound of the Dyn-G and combine it with other pickup systems. Never really picked up on it because it was designed for the L1. But if it works outside that format as well, use to my Genz Benz.
Steve

jjrubin 09-03-2010 11:27 PM

Yeah, T1 surely at its best with the L1, but I use it as my dual-source blender with house systems (and sometimes the line channel on my Schertler David, when the venue is too small for the L1) just because I already have it, and can't really justify the cost of another high-end pre-amp/blender/EQ box when this one is so good and function-rich. Plus I know it well, it's portable and clamps right onto mic stand with the QwikStix tray (THAT is something which really grows on you...).

Still, not sure I would buy the T1 absent the L1, given its price. And it's really the T1/L1 combination which is so compelling, for me.

Re: the question on EQing the Dyn -- it does require deep cuts. I use a downloaded T1 'preset' (just a pre-centered set of EQ bands optimized for a particular guitar/pup combination) from the Breedlove bank, called 'Mando with Schertler Dyn'. That just seems to sound a little better than other presets I tried (there are no other specific to the Dyn) but I still find myself max'ed out on bass and mid cuts.

If there were some way to try out the T1 with your Dyn and G-B, I'd advise a trial run.

SpruceTop 09-04-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubleneck (Post 2334495)
Downloaded the manual for the Bose T1 very impressive and it does so much more than the Dtar Soltice. Hard to believe that this would not give me more options to shape the sound of the Dyn-G and combine it with other pickup systems. Never really picked up on it because it was designed for the L1. But if it works outside that format as well, use to my Genz Benz.
Steve

The Bose T1 has presets that can be used with a Bose L1 system to initially help get the best tone for a mic or instrument when played through the L1 systems. Use of the presets is optional and they can be switched out of the mix. They may not always give a better amplified tone than not using one. Thus, a Bose T1 mixer, with optional power supply, works well with any PA system. The Bose T1 is a universally versatile, very compact, and quality mixer and should work well with your Genz Benz but check to make sure your amp has the necessary headroom to handle the Bose T1's signal. It most likely will have that ability.

Regards,

SpruceTop

jjrubin 09-08-2010 11:19 AM

For some reason, on the OM my usual placement of Dyn (treble side top of bridge -- works nicely for all my other guits) sounded harsh. Last time out I tried a new placement based on experimentation, about midway between bridge and apex of treble-side lower bout, inside of the X-brace.

This sounded less harsh, more acoustic/airy, but introduced a bit of boominess. So next I'll try a compromise position closer to -- but not ON -- the bridge.

It's really true that the character of this contact mic changes according to its placement and the particular instrument. I bet there's a sweet-spot on this OM that will capture its awesome unplugged sound, just got to find it....

jjrubin 09-15-2010 11:02 AM

Okay, think I found the sweet-spot -- a couple inches below the bridge (that is, towards the end-wedge) about in line with the 1-2 pins. I studied a chart of OM top bracing and that seems to place the Dyn off the bridge plate and inside of the nearby cross brace.

Sounded great through the house PA Sat. night (although Red Rock Cafe, Mountain View has superb gear and acoustics, always sounds good); will try it outdoors through the Bose tomorrow.

liveguitar 09-23-2010 12:20 AM

Have you tried DYN-G as a single source? Since it's a mic, seems like it should do well by itself.

jjrubin 09-23-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liveguitar (Post 2353941)
Have you tried DYN-G as a single source? Since it's a mic, seems like it should do well by itself.

Yeah, initially I used it as single-source for performing, and it did fine. The blend with external mic just adds some air and shimmer for an even more natural sound. I point it towards the 14 fret rather than the soundhole, so it's really picking up a very different texture from the bridge-mounted Dyn.

But the external mic alone lacks the bite and presence of a bridge/soundboard mounted contact mic like Dyn, and of course is more prone to feedback. So the dual-source combination let's me blend the best of both sources (and hopefully EQ out the worst).

Not the answer for extremely loud/large venues, admittedly. For quieter (still not silent) acoustic settings though, I can usually get a sound through my Bose or the house PA that sounds to me recognizably like my naked guitar.

Other Dyn users, are you using/tried dual-source with external mic?