The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Veteran’s Day (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563412)

ManyMartinMan 11-11-2019 08:56 AM

Veteran’s Day

May I give a hand to all who have served our cities, counties, states, and country. Your work and efforts to make this a better placed are appreciated.

thomasinaz 11-11-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan (Post 6208557)
May I give a hand to all who have served our cities, counties, states, and country. Your work and efforts to make this a better placed are appreciated.

:up::up: !!

Steve DeRosa 11-11-2019 09:27 AM

To all our veteran AGF members, thank you for your service...

Riverwolf 11-11-2019 09:28 AM

Like I often say when thanked by a clerk or such when showing ID,

"Thank you for thanking me"

JCave 11-11-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverwolf (Post 6208590)

Yes indeed.

619TF 11-11-2019 11:12 AM

As a freedom loving American I APPRECIATE what those who serve have done for me.

https://www.newsweek.com/veterans-th...upport-1470776

Nyghthawk 11-11-2019 11:28 AM

100 years since 11/11/1919. Remembrance Day. Veterans Day. My thanks to those who served.

RustyAxe 11-11-2019 12:31 PM

At the doctor's office today, as I was walking in I noticed two elderly gentlemen, one with a walker, the other with a cane, wearing hats, waiting for the bus. Both had served in WWII. I walked up, shook their hands, said "thanks. I'm here because you were there". One teared up, the other smiled. I choked up a bit too.

golfreggie 11-11-2019 03:32 PM

As a vet of Viet Nam, I suppose there are dozens of Viet Nam vets on this forum. Our return was not hailed. Many were scoffed, well, you know the story. Now, we are being thanked, and for one, it is truly appreciated. God bless all of our vets, regardless of when and where they served.

guitar george 11-11-2019 10:00 PM

Dedicated to the Veterans of the USA and the Veterans of all its allies throughout the free world. I hope you find this appropriate for Veterans Day and Remembrance Day.
We thank you for your great and honorable service.

Don Lampson 11-12-2019 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfreggie (Post 6208942)
As a vet of Viet Nam, I suppose there are dozens of Viet Nam vets on this forum. Our return was not hailed. Many were scoffed, well, you know the story. Now, we are being thanked, and for one, it is truly appreciated. God bless all of our vets, regardless of when and where they served.

As another Vietnam vet, I find it very uncomfortable when people thank me for my service, or tell me, "Welcome Home" - Even though I know they mean well when they do so......... I'm not proud of what I did there. I just wish it had never happened, and all those dead people could have had the joys of life I've known for the last 50 years.... Of course, I just humbly tell them thank you......

Don

619TF 11-12-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Lampson (Post 6209278)
As another Vietnam vet, I find it very uncomfortable when people thank me for my service, or tell me, "Welcome Home" - Even though I know they mean well when they do so......... I'm not proud of what I did there. I just wish it had never happened, and all those dead people could have had the joys of life I've known for the last 50 years.... Of course, I just humbly tell them thank you......

Don

That's why I posted what I did at #6 and your feelings are far from a rarity. So yeah, I appreciate your doing what our government told you to do so many years ago. Not your choice I totally understand but you made a sacrifice (of part of your youth at the very least) and so I appreciate that but try not to outright "thank" people for some of the reasons you've mentioned.

Neil K Walk 11-12-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverwolf (Post 6208590)

My feelings about having served are similar. I didn't serve during a time of conflict and it was actually my first job so likely my experience was easier than many here on AGF who also served so I feel kind of self conscious and a little embarrassed when I admit to being a veteran. Suffice it to say, I feel it was the best decision I ever made in life and I genuinely feel that it was a privilege to have served. I also feel like I came out of the experience having learned more than I did when I went back to college.

JCave 11-12-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil K Walk (Post 6209784)
My feelings about having served are similar. I didn't serve during a time of conflict and it was actually my first job so likely my experience was easier than many here on AGF who also served so I feel kind of self conscious and a little embarrassed when I admit to being a veteran. Suffice it to say, I feel it was the best decision I ever made in life and I genuinely feel that it was a privilege to have served. I also feel like I came out of the experience having learned more than I did when I went back to college.

Would imagine there are many of us. I joined USAF on the tail end of Nam in 1972 for an education. My only "over seas" tour was a year in Alaska. My last 5 years were at George AFB. Wife worked on base, we had it great. Although a career wasn't for me, those 8 years gave me an education of a lifetime.