The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   CA/Peavey (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472195)

Guest 928 06-04-2017 09:18 AM

CA/Peavey

We talked a bit about CA/Peavey on an unrelated thread--It seems like there should be more to say on the subject.

Composite Acoustics was the carbon fiber gateway for a lot of us. The Cargo was reasonably priced, sounded good, and travelled well. For a while there was a lot of news coming out of CA as the company rolled out a number of stunning guitars.

When CA went down the big news was its purchase by Peavey. For a while, on the old Carbon Fiber Forum, a Peavey representative responded to questions and kept everyone informed about the process and progress of bringing out an improved line of CA guitars.

Now, there appears to be very little news, advertising, or forum participation by Peavey. I think we should flush them out, thus this thread.

Someone at Peavey must keep an eye on Peavey news and maybe, if we started talking about our various Peavey/CA guitars and asking questions, someone might join in and tell us what's going on. It's a thought.

Acousticado 06-04-2017 10:36 AM

I bought into the CA brand back in '08 with a Cargo and GXi and was really into them. I was so sorry to see their demise of sorts, that an innovator like Ellis Seal couldn't fulfill his vision under his owner/leadership, but was glad that Peavey has carried the torch. Nice to see that Ellis is still in the game with McPherson. At least in this online forum, a number of other brands have rightly taken over the spotlight due to their innovation, options and participation here, but like you Evan, I'd like to see CA more prominent here. Maybe they are actually doing very well and don't need to participate here, but I wish they would. I would also like to see some new innovation from them. Otherwise, I'm much more interested in other CF builder offerings.

Strumalot 06-04-2017 12:55 PM

Glad to see a thread going on CA!

About the innovation, I have one of the first post-Peavey GXs, and for me, it's perfect. The only thing I would change is to ditch the built-in electronics and go with a K&K. Any other innovations might, in fact, be a downgrade.
I think CA still leads the pack in design in two important areas, comfort (sculpted back) and the clear (no heel) neck join. And the thin neck option is the only CF on the market that gives you a Stratocaster feel on an acoustic.
So the question is, what would Peavey do to innovate? Getting The Blade back in production with a few tweaks would be good.

Any other ideas?

Maybe we can get Peavey in here to listen and comment.

kramster 06-04-2017 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acousticado (Post 5363604)
Nice to see that Ellis is still in the game with McPherson

Was..... as he has moved on... not sure where though.

Acousticado 06-04-2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramster (Post 5363870)

Was..... as he has moved on... not sure where though.

Ellis is one of the CF innovators. Not gonna hold my breath, but with all he knows and has learned, including business/entrepreneurship lessons, wouldn't it be cool if he could launch a new brand?

StevieMar 06-04-2017 04:56 PM

Happy to chime in and keep the thread going. I have a pair of CA guitars, a Cargo and an OX. Really like both of them, but especially th OX. Its a raw model without electronics. Both Peavey CAs.

rmsstrider 06-04-2017 04:57 PM

I am new to Cf guitars. I tried a few Rainsongs and a few CA guitars. I wanted a Gx and had a hard time trying to find one. I called and spoke with the factory on 4 different occasions over 3 weeks and each time was told the holdup was lack of Gotoh tuners and that they may switch to Hipshot tunners. I ended up with a Legacy hi gloss and am very happy with it. I am not sure that CA is getting the attention it deserves from the parent company. Every time I checked a large online retailer, it always says arriving soon, never in Stock.

Acousticado 06-04-2017 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strumalot (Post 5363749)

About the innovation, I have one of the first post-Peavey GXs, and for me, it's perfect. The only thing I would change is to ditch the built-in electronics and go with a K&K. Any other innovations might, in fact, be a downgrade.
I think CA still leads the pack in design in two important areas, comfort (sculpted back) and the clear (no heel) neck join. And the thin neck option is the only CF on the market that gives you a Stratocaster feel on an acoustic.
So the question is, what would Peavey do to innovate? Getting The Blade back in production with a few tweaks would be good.

Any other ideas?

I agree about the sculpted back and no heel as being the best that I've tried. I no longer have my GXi but I quite liked it. If I was going to get a new CA, it would likely be a GX. One negative about CAs is that I think they tend to be heavier than other CF guitar brands. If it'd be possible, I'd like to see CA lighten them up. Then again, that would likely change the tone which could be a good thing, or not so good. As for the Blade, yeah, I agree that CA should reintroduce it.

Guest 928 06-04-2017 06:05 PM

I think Peavey should get with it on two fronts. First, style. When PV did the white Cargo it was pretty stunning. But just a start. As Rainsong and Emerald are demonstrating, coloration is an important draw. My favorite was the French Voyage Instruments--way cool coloration. But way bad in other ways; the company went out of business before it did any business.

Some of PV's carbon offerings are stunning in design, in comfort, in sound, and in play. They need some pizazz.

I also think they should do an electric--but not the blade. Peavey has a long history and understanding of electric guitars; PV could make a new entre in the CF field. Make some news. Get some attention. Get us in the tent.

Mbroady 06-04-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strumalot (Post 5363749)

Any other ideas?

Not really an innovation per say but I wish CA guitars had an adjustable truss rod. I love the sound of the samples I have played but felt there was a bit to much neck relief for my personal tastes.

tdq 06-04-2017 08:25 PM

I have one of the last pre-preavey GXs. It had receded to the background as my playing style and interests changed - so much so that I tried selling it to fund further purchases but barely got any interest at all. Lately, though, I've started doing a lot of flatpicking and all of a sudden the old GX has a new lease on life, it's probably the main guitar I'm playing at the moment . I even took it to a bluegrass jam the other night and it although it didn't quite have the volume of a dred I still managed to get by. (Probably going to go up to 0.013s next string change). It's worked its way back into high rotation in my stable and now I'm quite happy I didn't get to sell it.
So for what I would change - I do find it quite heavy, especially compared to other CF guitars, that would be my biggest suggestion. I'm not sure what pickup system Peavey is now using - I don't amplify much but I suspect I'd do away with the old baggs ibeam/piezo mix that it currently has, and a more elegant solution than the clunky barn door would be nice. I remember Michael Stone putting a soundport on a GX which I thought worked well (I was in store when he did it). Other than that, the neck/heel is great and overall is a very comfortable guitar.

cheeksmiller 06-05-2017 04:00 PM

Just don't expect Peavey to be forthcoming with any information regarding older models. I emailed, called, and no one there seems to know anything. So I am presuming they didn't even get documents. Just the molds or some such. Here ya go...put this piece here that piece there..have fun.

One person I talked to by calling the number on the CA website...didn't even known Peavey sold them. So yea in the future I will most likely be looking elsewhere if and when I get another CF guitar.

With that being said I love my pre peavey X player.

Guest 928 06-05-2017 06:00 PM

So, here's a thought. Wooden guitar companies have been going through a lot of acquisition. CA is, to my knowledge, the first CF maker to have acquired by a larger company. Peavey worked hard to bring CA to a higher level of quality. But in the intervening years, other makers have marched ahead with innovation.

So, what if CA came on the market? What if Rainsong acquired CA/Peavey? Rainsong has done quite well with its steady approach to improvements. CA offers a variety of innovative shapes and engineering . Rainsong has the innovations in materials and build, CA has the innovations for new forms and build. I could see that as working.

I would also see Joe getting into the acquisition mix. I don't know if he would have the bucks, but he has the material and build capability to turn CA genius into CA/Blackbird engineering and material quality.

This front line stuff is interesting.

tdq 06-05-2017 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanB (Post 5365089)
I would also see Joe getting into the acquisition mix. I don't know if he would have the bucks, but he has the material and build capability to turn CA genius into CA/Blackbird engineering and material quality.

A GX in Ekoa. Now that would be something!

Acousticado 06-05-2017 06:37 PM

Personally, apart from the huge financial and infrastructure outlay, I don't see an existing CF builder acquiring another CF builder if for no other reason than individual pride in their respective unique innovation, processes and vision that each brings to the marketplace. If any builder wanted to, they could easily invest in a reasonable facsimile of a desirable design and apply whatever unique aspect they want. But I don't see that happening. If Peavey were to drop CA and someone were to take it over, I'd bet it would be a startup in CF guitar building or another large wood guitar company looking to get into the CF game.