The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   LISTEN (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Saw John Prine last night (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510294)

walkerinin 05-13-2018 06:19 AM

Saw John Prine last night

In Indianapolis- Butler University.
My first time seeing him live. It was a great show!
His playing and voice was strong and he did several songs from his new CD that
Sound like classic John Prine songs. He had a 4 piece back up band and did one set all alone. I gotta say, when he did “Hello in There” , a tear came to my eye.
Tickets were my Christmas present - couldn’t be happier with the gift.

Max23 05-13-2018 06:25 AM

Bet that was a good show in that environ, have been there!
Was he playing his "John Prine" D-28?

lowrider 05-13-2018 06:30 AM

Now that's a nice Christmas present!

Glad you enjoyed the show.

willysunday 05-13-2018 06:34 AM

Congrats in seeing a Legend!

Like you, I have only seen him once. Not enough! Rolling Stone aptly deems him as the "Mark Twain of American Music". I have to get his new CD, heard it was a good one.

Good thing there's JP in the world ; )

b

Rev Roy 05-13-2018 06:40 AM

Very cool! Seeing John live is high on my bucket list...

RedJoker 05-13-2018 06:49 AM

We got to see him live earlier this year. I've been a fan but my wife was just so-so on his music. And then she saw him live. Now she's a HUGE fan!

walkerinin 05-13-2018 06:54 AM

He played 2 Martin dreads. I was in the 11th row but my eyes are not as strong as they once were and I don’t know Martins enough to distinguish them on sight.
I could tell they were different back / side woods.

Quebec Picker 05-13-2018 07:13 AM

Cool! I just bought tickets to see him in Burlington in June. Can't wait.

Cabarone 05-13-2018 07:26 AM

I saw him a few times years ago...never w/Goodman, though...

We have tickets to the Cincy and Columbus shows...

If you don't have the new album, I highly recommend it...hopefully it's not his last but if it should be, it's a fitting swan song...funny, poignant, sad...typical Prine...

walkerinin 05-13-2018 08:18 AM

When I bought the tickets, it included a copy of the new CD. It came in the mail as soon as it was released.

3notes 05-13-2018 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkerinin (Post 5727292)
In Indianapolis- Butler University.
My first time seeing him live. It was a great show!
His playing and voice was strong and he did several songs from his new CD that
Sound like classic John Prine songs. He had a 4 piece back up band and did one set all alone. I gotta say, when he did “Hello in There” , a tear came to my eye.
Tickets were my Christmas present - couldn’t be happier with the gift.

Sweet. John Prine is an American treasure.

Most of what Dylan wrote I didn't understand. John Prine on the otherhand, his lyrics make so much sense that it's almost a wonder.....

Old people just grow lonesome, waiting for someone to say, hello in there, hello. ... John Prine

I would add that he has a special quality. His vocals have not suffered much as he grows old. Same with Willie Nelson. Bob Weir however, he should just hire a singer, God bless him.

brokenarrow5 05-13-2018 09:24 AM

Legend
Real Deal

lowrider 05-13-2018 12:45 PM

I think it's amazing how much ''we all'' love John Prine. I've been a fan since I first heard ''Your Flag Decals Won't Get You into Heaven Anymore'' over 40 years ago. But country music fans everywhere never heard of the guy!?

BoneDigger 05-13-2018 11:02 PM

He's playing Dallas in June and I've considered going. Tickets are close to $200. Is he still really sounding good? I saw a,few videos and he seemed to have lost it a bit with age. I'm a big fan and would love to go, but I don't want to be too disappointed.

BoneDigger 05-14-2018 08:23 AM

Bumping this.