The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   NGD - Collings OM2H (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588412)

MickZ 08-01-2020 09:04 AM

NGD - Collings OM2H

3 Attachment(s)
Hi folks - Thanks for all of your suggestions in my OM thread. I decided to add this Collings to my collection, and I'm happy I did, because it added variety. I was originally reluctant based on my first impression of Collings a few years ago, but apparently my tastes have evolved.

I thought that Collings' tone sounded a bit "sterile." But I now have a greater appreciation for its piano-like clarity and shimmering overtones. It really rings, more "hi-fi" than dry, with excellent sustain. The build quality is fantastic. It's something that's difficult to discern in photos, but in the flesh it's really a testament to high quality building for a production guitar.

I opted for the 1 11/16" nut standard version. To me, the neck is perfect. I read some reviews here where people said it is unforgiving, but I haven't noticed that at all. It's also fairly light at just over 4 lbs. I know I've expressed nothing new, but the collective comments all lined up and I'm glad I pulled the trigger.

Here are a few obligatory photos.

Mak2525 08-01-2020 09:14 AM

Great Choice - can't go wrong with a Collings OM! I've probably played 10 or so over the years in just about every flavor and scale length. Each and every one was a beautiful instrument in its own right. The standard OM2H always stands out to me. Enjoy it and Play it in Good Health!:up:

6L6 08-01-2020 09:31 AM

When asked what it was he sold, Bill Collings said, "Labor."

It shows in every Collings guitar ever built.

Congrats on your new axe!

BrunoBlack 08-01-2020 09:38 AM

Beautiful! I appreciate what Collings delivers and you have a fine example. Enjoy.

Spineycat 08-01-2020 09:44 AM

It’s a beautiful guitar. Play it in good health.

Kerbie 08-01-2020 09:46 AM

Gorgeous, Mick... congratulations. I love their OMs and I know you'll be happy. "Piano-like clarity" describes them perfectly. What a beautiful back.

pukematrix 08-01-2020 10:27 AM

Nice pick up - it's a lovely example. The OM2H has been on my shortlist for quite some time. Looking forward to that day.

Play in good health.

Austin

jklotz 08-01-2020 12:37 PM

Very nice! Congrats! I wouln't mind that in my arsenal one bit.

Mark L 08-01-2020 01:02 PM

Congratulations on your new acquisition OP!

The Collings OM2H, D1A and D2H are considered by many guitar cognescenti as “Industry Standard” instruments. What I believe this means is that they set a high standard of excellence in a basically appointed professional grade instrument of traditional design. The standard neck shape(s) on these instruments is often referenced as a home base, and I know by direct communication it has been closely copied by solo builders to the point of being used on their personal instruments.

What you have there is a lifetime keeper. Enjoy it, and a long musical life to go with it.

Oh, as for the “unforgiving” tag.....think about what those using the term might be asking “forgiveness” for.

Personally, I prefer an instrument that provides me accurate feedback on my technique and expression, and also provides a well of inspiration for creativity and a challenge to develop my ability to a higher level.

Best wishes!

MickZ 08-01-2020 01:05 PM

Thanks for the kind words, folks. If anyone's on the fence, you really can't go wrong with the OM2H. I have found, in the past, that I tended to hone in on one particular type of tone, perhaps subconsciously, and many of my guitars had similar sonic profiles. It has been fun branching out and consolidating my collection to a few noteworthy instruments that have unique voices. None are "better" than the other and what I prefer sometimes changes day to day.

boombox 08-01-2020 06:30 PM

Congrats and welcome to the Collings club. The OM2H is hands down the best sounding OM I've ever played, but I agonised for three years before moving mine on as I just couldn't gel with the neck. Happily, lots of others love the standard profile. I think if I saw an OM2H with a C10 neck profile. even my own C10 custom might fear rejection.

Taylor007 08-01-2020 08:01 PM

Great guitar there. Congrats & enjoy.

MHC 08-02-2020 01:49 AM

Congratulations on finding THE guitar. The Collings OM2H is a fantastic OM. I had one with a German top and it was unearthly and magical. Wish I still had it.

Anyway, enjoy yours!!

Kh1967 08-02-2020 04:52 AM

Lots to love about an OM2H. Consistently excellent guitars that cover a lot of ground. Congratulations!

marty bradbury 08-02-2020 11:35 AM

Sweet looking guitar! Enjoy!