The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Fender CD140SCE (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353599)

Mr Blues 08-18-2014 08:53 PM

Fender CD140SCE

Please don't stone me , I Just brought a Fender CD140SCE.
reatI checked out the reviews and tried it out for a while without amp and with my amp.To my ears it sounded great.

I could'nt believe the sound quality I was pleasantly surprised, Great action too, ok its not a Martin but for the price I thinks its brilliant.
I know many folks here can't stand Fender Acoustics.
I am well pleased with it the Fishmen pick up is very good too
Dave

TBman 08-18-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Blues (Post 4091126)
Please don't stone me , I Just brought a Fender CD140SCE.
I checked out the reviews and tried it out for a while without amp and with my amp.To my ears it sounded great.

I could'nt believe the sound quality I was pleasantly surprised, Great action too, ok its not a Martin but for the price I thinks its brilliant.
I know many folks here can't stand Fender Acoustics.
I am well pleased with it
Dave

Dave, if it inspires you to play, its worth its weight in gold.

The Growler 08-18-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 4091134)
Dave, if it inspires you to play, its worth its weight in gold.

This. ^^^

If it's what you like, go play it and apologize to no one. Have fun! :up:

JTFoote 08-18-2014 10:08 PM

One of the best 12-strings I ever heard was a new Fender I bought for a friend a few years back. He loved Fender acoustics - I had no use for them. I didn't even try to play it - I had it set-up with extra lights to accommodate his tastes, tuned it up, and hoped that it would please him.

At the time, I had an Alvarez 12-string, and knew that it was the better guitar. It was more expensive than the Fender, looked better than the Fender, it was the classier, better respected brand - of course, it was superior.

When he started playing it, I almost fell out of my chair. It was beyond belief, just how good that guitar sounded. I could nearly see angels wafting in the air over his head.

I heartily applauded his playing of the guitar, and I was mightily pleased by how much he liked it, and how well it suited him.

After he left, I went back into the music room, played the Alvarez, and thought about it for a while. And fumed silently to myself. It sounded pretty good, but wasn't anywhere near as good as that Fender, with the big honking neck, simple appointments, and the price tag to match.

I sold the Alvarez a week later. He's still playing the Fender, leading the worship service, and the guitar sounds even better than it did the first time I heard it.

Ouch ... to me, and kudos to him. I'm glad that he loves the guitar, and that it all worked out so well. But sometimes I wish I had never heard that guitar, otherwise, I might still have that Alvarez!

You just never know. It's the guitar that counts, and you can be surprised by what is out there. Any snobbery I had against cheaper guitars, or a particular brand name, ended that night. Lesson learned.

... JT

patticake 08-18-2014 11:07 PM

i'm not usually a fender acoustic fan, but the CD140SCE is a pretty nice guitar. hope you enjoy it :)

mam8dg 08-18-2014 11:53 PM

No judgement here, I just bought a Fender Kingman that I am waiting to have delivered. I prefer thin necks, so I am hoping it works out. If it does, I'll be dumping a taylor 214ce-Dlx for a fender! Might have my AGF account suspended for such heresy :D

jcarlos 08-19-2014 12:37 AM

This was posted in another thread, Fender CD60

And here the CD140

Both sound great to me. I have a Fender 300CE and it sounds great too, the only thing is that bothered me a little at first was that it isn't a very loud guitar compared to my other guitars. But it ok, I've learned that not everything has to be super loud haha. Also I've gigged with the 300CE plugged in before and it was great!

Oldguy64 08-19-2014 03:59 AM

Just because it don't float my boat, don't mean it can't float yours.
Play the brakes off it!
Have a great time doing it.
happy NGD!

I've discovered, that certain guitars BELONG with certain people.
I had an old Alvarez Fusion that I liked from her moment I bought it. Never LOVED it like I do my 5013.
I'm still convinced it turned on me when I bought my Ovation.
It always sounded at least ok when I played it.
I handed it to my pastor (who now owns it) and i knew it belonged with him.
He played it and it sounded better in his hands in those few minutes than it ever sounded in mine.

MikeBmusic 08-19-2014 06:21 AM

Funny how in another thread Fenders are kicked under the bus ...

Congrats on the new guitar. I've had my CD140SCE for about 2-1/2 years now (it was barely used when I got it). I love the neck on it because it is so similar to my 72 Tele. I use extra light strings, great for lead guitar work, and when plugged in, there is not much difference in tone compared to having heavier strings on it.
I auditioned every other guitar I could put my hands on in that price range ($300 +/- $50 new) for almost a year before settling on this model. Many people will argue that the Yamaha 700 model in that price range is the best deal, but I didn't like the acoustic sound on those as much (everyone's ears are different!)

Oldguy64 08-19-2014 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeBmusic (Post 4091455)
Funny how in another thread Fenders are kicked under the bus ...

Congrats on the new guitar. I've had my CD140SCE for about 2-1/2 years now (it was barely used when I got it). I love the neck on it because it is so similar to my 72 Tele. I use extra light strings, great for lead guitar work, and when plugged in, there is not much difference in tone compared to having heavier strings on it.
I auditioned every other guitar I could put my hands on in that price range ($300 +/- $50 new) for almost a year before settling on this model. Many people will argue that the Yamaha 700 model in that price range is the best deal, but I didn't like the acoustic sound on those as much (everyone's ears are different!)

I keep trying Yamahas, and they don't float my boat either.
It is also a sound thing with me. They play ok.
But, my thing is "feel" then sound.
If I don't get the "feel" I want...It doesn't matter if it sounds like angels singing, I'm not gonna be into it.
If I do find the "feel"...It might suck for sound, but I might be into it. But usually, I want both.

roylor4 08-19-2014 07:50 AM

Congrats. Enjoy your new guitar!

Roy

mikeiscool42 08-19-2014 08:08 AM

Nothing like getting a new guitar. They are pretty magical.

44Runner 08-19-2014 08:39 AM

I don't judge people on the guitars they like. I may disagree with them, but in the end we are all just music lovers and that's what's most important.

Mr Blues 08-19-2014 06:35 PM

Thanks guys
I took my AER compact 60 amp to the guitar store with me to try it out.

Some folks here mentions the Yamaha's. I brought a Yamaha compass a few years back and after playing for a while I grew to really dislike it. The pick up and eq was awful. I gave it to a relative.

Dave

Mr Blues 08-19-2014 06:40 PM

Thanks Jcarlos for these video's The CD60 sounds quite impressive too plus the fact that its not a solid top I'm surprised.
Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcarlos (Post 4091324)
This was posted in another thread, Fender CD60

And here the CD140

Both sound great to me. I have a Fender 300CE and it sounds great too, the only thing is that bothered me a little at first was that it isn't a very loud guitar compared to my other guitars. But it ok, I've learned that not everything has to be super loud haha. Also I've gigged with the 300CE plugged in before and it was great!