The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What next? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538394)

David Eastwood 02-17-2019 06:47 PM

What next?

I posted this in the middle of another thread, where it might have got lost - so I thought I'd start a new one on the same subject. Because I just crave attention :)

I'm besotted with my X20. I don't think I've ever owned another guitar which has been quite so inspirational (and that includes the 55-year old Martin that has been in my custody for 35 years of its life). The X20 lives in open D, which is where I spend most of my playing time these days.

I'm compelled to add another one to the collection. X20 Baritone? X20 7-string? After wandering down that path for a while - because I love the low-end register of these guitars - all of a sudden, now I'm thinking X7. It could sit in standard tuning for ever more, and just be that grab'n'go guitar.

Decisions, decisions. These weekly videos are... tantalizing :)

AZLiberty 02-17-2019 07:12 PM

There is an Amber Baritone on Reverb.

I'm out of "guitar money" or I'd have already snagged it.

Guest 928 02-17-2019 07:17 PM

Oh No! Eatswodo is lost. Obviously the X20 is a gateway addiction. Now, a baritone and then the deadly X7. Alas!

wickedwahine 02-17-2019 07:26 PM

I completely understand how you feel. All I have been doing for the last few months is working on this book about Emerald. I’m submerged in Chimaeras, X30s, Amicus, etc. I keep having to tell myself that there’s no way I can buy a Synergy, I can’t play harp guitar, but I want to get one so bad. It is an addiction. I’m already plotting what to order next. As for you, I am a big fan of the X7. Get one you won’t regret it. ;)

kramster 02-17-2019 09:22 PM

All this Emerald talk...almost makes me want one

Captain Jim 02-17-2019 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramster (Post 5982743)
All this Emerald talk...almost makes me want one

I've heard they're something special!

Methos1979 02-18-2019 07:43 AM

The X7 is the perfect companion guitar to the X20. It gives you that 'small, grab and go anywhere' size but with a much bigger tone. With some EQ and notching it can also fill in as a backup/alternate gigging guitar. I love both of mine so much that my 'lifetime Martin' is being sold. Oh, and I'm considering another X10 custom build.

jdinco 02-18-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methos1979 (Post 5983028)
I love both of mine so much that my 'lifetime Martin' is being sold. Oh, and I'm considering another X10 custom build.

Wow...letting the Martin go ! That's a pretty big step. Congrats on all your great custom builds. I just got my X7, it is a lot more than I expected, a perfect upgrade to the last version of the X7. I haven't plugged it in yet though.

David Eastwood 02-18-2019 12:45 PM

I'm really thinking that it will be an X7. Need to get tax season out of the way first, and then I can start plotting.

byudzai 02-18-2019 12:56 PM

My X30 has become just "The Guitar," with all the joys and none of the snags of my Martin or other wood guitars. I am vaguely aware that it looks like an alien instrument to most, guitar-shaped but CLEARLY not a proper guitar. I'm vaguely aware that people probably think it's a gimmick, a toy, some cheap johnny-come-lately fad, the bauble of a bored middle aged guy to tinker with until the time comes to grow up and play a Real Guitar.

But to me, it's just The Guitar. It does a LOT of work as The Guitar. All without a grumble as the humidity is ignored, the tuner and pick holder are tucked inside, the bridge pins don't bother my strumming palm, etc. I like living in a snippet of a sci-fi novel with this bold, smooth, beautiful X30.

Probably about time to finish waking up and go get my coffee, eh? Lol.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/cW...9C1kAlcw=w2400

jdinco 02-18-2019 03:23 PM

And you forgot "it's pretty!" :)

Guest 928 02-18-2019 03:58 PM

How come it has to sleep on the couch?

Methos1979 02-18-2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdinco (Post 5983189)
Wow...letting the Martin go ! That's a pretty big step. Congrats on all your great custom builds. I just got my X7, it is a lot more than I expected, a perfect upgrade to the last version of the X7. I haven't plugged it in yet though.

It wasn't has hard as I thought it would be. I gave it several months and a whole bunch of A/B/C sessions with the X20 and X7. The Martin loses each and every time. I am looking forward to being all CF and not worrying about humidity (or just about anything else) is just awesome. I won't say I'll never own another wood guitar again but I'm currently Jonesing for nothing. Even the X10 build is only a distant possibility.

jdinco 02-18-2019 05:01 PM

I completely understand, it took me years to get a nice 000-28 that I loved, but guess what was the first to go once the X20 showed up. Not even a close comparison.

steelvibe 02-18-2019 05:33 PM

.....getting rid of all your wood acoustics. That's just crazy talk :D