The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Musical Instruments (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   round neck metal body resonator (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538838)

macmanmatty 02-21-2019 09:58 PM

round neck metal body resonator

assuming you were to take a single cone metal body round neck resonator put in national hot rod cone change the cheap tuners they often come with and have a good set up done to it using it for slide and some fretting would there be any tonal difference between a a rouge, aria, gretsch, or a republic? Would it be worth it to buy a republic or would el cheapos like the rouge be about the same as far as tone once upgraded?

Rudy4 02-21-2019 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macmanmatty (Post 5986779)
assuming you were to take a single cone metal body round neck resonator put in national hot rod cone change the cheap tuners they often come with and have a good set up done to it using it for slide and some fretting would there be any tonal difference between a a rouge, aria, gretsch, or a republic? Would it be worth it to buy a republic or would el cheapos like the rouge be about the same as far as tone once upgraded?

"Rogue", Musician's Friend house brand used to make a bell brass body resophonic for around $300 that got a lot of good comments. (It's no longer offered.)

I put a soundwell and a Quarterman cone in a wood-bodied Washburn and it turned out to be a great sounding lap-style.

Guest 728 02-24-2019 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macmanmatty (Post 5986779)

You can definitely improve a resonator by replacing the cone and getting a setup, but there will still be tonal differences between guitars. I'm not convinced that Republics are any better than anyone else's inexpensive reso. I've bought two, and they both suffered from some pretty questionable construction methods. Of the ones you mentioned, I'd probably opt for a Gretsch.

macmanmatty 02-25-2019 03:31 PM

what were the "questionable" construction methods of the republic? any other brands to look at?

Silly Moustache 02-25-2019 03:46 PM

I's all about the cone.

Guest 728 02-25-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macmanmatty (Post 5990251)
what were the "questionable" construction methods of the republic? any other brands to look at?

On the Republic tri-cone I bought, one of the dot markers that cover the screws was missing. The screw under it had been installed at an angle, making the fretboard lift away from the body.

https://i.imgur.com/A5Cbh0Ol.jpg

On the Republic biscuit guitar, the "stick" that runs from the neck block to the tail was comprised of several glued-together pieces of what looked like scrap wood. The screw that attached this assembly to the cone well was also installed at an angle, making the contact between the cone lip and the well dodgy.

As far as brands go, I think the inexpensive ones have a lot more similarities than differences. If I wanted to spend less than $1000, I'd probably look for a Michael Messer Blues.

LemonCats 08-28-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest 728 (Post 5990308)
On the Republic tri-cone I bought, one of the dot markers that cover the screws was missing. The screw under it had been installed at an angle, making the fretboard lift away from the body.

https://i.imgur.com/A5Cbh0Ol.jpg

On the Republic biscuit guitar, the "stick" that runs from the neck block to the tail was comprised of several glued-together pieces of what looked like scrap wood. The screw that attached this assembly to the cone well was also installed at an angle, making the contact between the cone lip and the well dodgy.

As far as brands go, I think the inexpensive ones have a lot more similarities than differences. If I wanted to spend less than $1000, I'd probably look for a Michael Messer Blues.

wow the republics actually have bolt on necks? I didnt think they did. Also Michael Messer uses the same factories so Im not sure why itd be any different besides perhaps a better setup

H165 08-28-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

It's all about the cone.
This is #1.

Then the setup.

Conomor 09-02-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LemonCats (Post 6148649)
Also Michael Messer uses the same factories so Im not sure why itd be any different besides perhaps a better setup

IIRC, the bodies come from the same factory but they are built to different specifications. Having communicated with Michael Messer and spent some time perusing the MM forums, it's clear that he is meticulous when it comes to quality control, set up and customer care. I would not hesitate to purchase one of his instruments, but I've read enough negative comments about Republics here and elsewhere to steer clear.