The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Change position pickguard Gibson j45 2014, or no change (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559406)

Scatcat 10-01-2019 01:53 PM

Change position pickguard Gibson j45 2014, or no change

I have a used Gibson j45, amazing guitar, amazing sound, but when I open the case for 5 seconds I think: this pickguard is in wrong position.
Then I play the guitar and I forgot the pickguard.
I don't know if change the position near the white binding but I don't want to buy a new pickguard and I think that when I remove it I can't replace (I have the 3M biadesive ready) or don't touch the pickguard and play the guitar :-).
What do you think?
Sorry for my bad English.
Photo on the link.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/fwdaby3e/

canyongargon 10-01-2019 02:24 PM

A quick google search for '2014 J45' shows at least a few other guitars that have the pickguard installed in the same position as yours:

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3

While I would expect to see the pickguard sit on the outside of the rosette, it appears that there is/was at least one person at the factory installing pickguards the same way yours is.

As guitars age, the wood covered by the pickguard is shielded from light and oxidation that darkens the color of the wood and finish. Being that your guitar is 5 years old, I doubt you could remove it and relocate it without leaving a visible "tan-line" or shadow of differently colored wood around the former footprint of the pickguard that would probably bother you even more.

I'd leave it as is and not worry too much about it: it likely came from the factory that way, and your guitar is beautiful either way.

kcnbys 10-01-2019 04:33 PM

That is actually the correct placement of the pickguard for your year J45. They place them differently (outside the rosette) in more recent years, but your's is not a mistake. I'd just leave it and enjoy playing it!

bufflehead 10-01-2019 04:57 PM

Looks okay to me.

Lillis 10-01-2019 05:55 PM

Looks good. Removing it could be a big mistake for the finish.

Nama Ensou 10-01-2019 06:42 PM

I'd prefer to see it either on the inside with the proper radius but cannot imagine it going well if you tried it yourself.

rokdog49 10-01-2019 07:49 PM

My J45 is a 2017 and the pick guard is outside the rosette.
It's not a big deal and you have one of the greatest guitars ever created so just leave it and enjoy!

Scatcat 10-02-2019 10:48 PM

Thanks. I think that I don’t touch the pickguard.:)

Wade Hampton 10-02-2019 11:54 PM

Scatcat, I agree with the consensus expressed in this thread so far: leave it alone. Your guitar is old enough that the lacquer on it has darkened a bit, to the point where shifting the position of the pickguard will leave a pale spot where the pickguard used to be.

Since you’d be moving the pickguard only a tiny distance the pale spot wouldn’t be hugely obvious, but I suspect that it would be obvious enough that you’d see it every time you open the guitar case, just as you notice the pickguard overlapping the rosette now.

So I suggest that you leave it be, which appears to be the decision you’ve already reached.

Wade Hampton Miller

Mr. Jelly 10-03-2019 05:53 AM

It doesn't look right to me. So I get it. It may be correct but like I said it doesn't look right.

Replacing it could easily be a big mistake. It doesn't have to be but it easily could be. The diameter of a new replacement pick guard may not match the outside diameter of the white strip. Or the inside. It may be why it's placed where it is. Second removing a pick guard may inadvertently damage the top of the guitar. I've had them come off easily and I've had them take a chunk of wood with them. I'm just saying ……..

nitram 10-03-2019 06:59 AM

I, too, have a 2014 J-45 and the guard on mine is positioned perfectly on the outside of the outer,thin rosette so from my point of view yours looks "off".
I have to agree with the majority here,though who suggest moving it might create more problems than it solves.
Try to see it as a unique characteristic.It's still a beautiful guitar.